2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

The only trade I see as feasible is LA. They have a ton of bad salaries they would dump onto Miami, and then after a year or two all those salaries would be off the books for Miami. Meanwhile, they also have a ton of good prospects they don't have space for they can use in a deal. New York is close, but they have a surprising dearth of bad contracts and also Hal really wants to be under the luxury tax for when they give Harper the biggest contract ever next year. Cubs and Astros would never break up their teams to bring in Stanton. Especially the Cubs since there is chatter that's where Harper would prefer to sign since he's buds with Bryant and, hey, maybe there's more to that than we think.

There isn't really "suspected foul play" with the Ohtani signing as much as MLB was gonna scrutinize it no matter what, given what just happened with Atlanta. They want to send a message to all 30 teams about this. I like him signing with a good dark horse team in the Angels. They're not that far off since they have the best player in the universe on their team, Upton, Simmons, some decent pitching. They might manage to sign Darvish too.

3 minutes ago, Busch E said:

The eight fans the Marlins have must really be hating the Jeter Era.

Truth be told, it’s pretty much been the Marlins MO since their inception. Sign big contracts and either win the World Series and then trade everyone or underperform and then trade everyone. It’s been that way since they won their first title in ‘98.

The Yankees just found a way to take on the most ridiculous contract in baseball because they saw a unique opportunity to add a mega star who could put them over the top.

The Mets meanwhile can't even afford to be in on guys like Lance Lynn or Lorenzo Cain.  Despite being only 2 years removed from being in the World Series, they're back to ground zero and look like they'll be in the midst of a long rebuild.

This is the first time in my life I'm seriously thinking of just jumping ship.  I'm not even saying that sarcastically.  The Mets thoroughout their history are known for only ever having 2 or 3 good years in a row before a rebuild that lasts 5-7 seasons.

They're just an atrociously run organization and that's not going to ever change unless the Wilpons get ousted.  All they care about is pinching pennies, which is a fucking disgrace considering the market they're in and the numerous financial windfalls available to them.

Well guess this means Harper won't be wearing pinstripes, nowhere to realistically put him and Hal's semi-commitment to being close to or under the luxury tax.

Marlins were always gonna get nothing in return for Stanton given how terribly they've handled wanting to move him. I can understand Jeter wanting a clean slate and no contracts on the book since that organization is a disaster all over, but he's not selling any tickets for the next few years which is not how you'd want to start your tenure as an owner. But I'm shocked they didn't pluck Frazier from the Yankees, it seemed logical since they weren't gonna have room for him. David Stern would have vetoed this deal, too lopsided.