2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

32 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Booooo

He took a team "2-3 years away" one game within the World Series. I don't like this at all. Boooooo

Ooo that means I like it!  Yay!

• Like 1

The surprise openings in Washington and the Bronx make me glad the Mets moved quickly in locking down Mickey Callaway.

Although, one of the things he said in his introductory press conference was that he wants to familiarize himself with the team by watching every Mets game from this past season.  So I expect a resignation sometime prior to pitchers and catchers reporting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Buschy Heenan said:

The surprise openings in Washington and the Bronx make me glad the Mets moved quickly in locking down Mickey Callaway.

Yeah, sometimes it pays to be eliminated from the post-season in July. :P 

7 minutes ago, damshow said:

It does not sound like this was a mutual decision.

Nah, I think it was obvious that Joe loved it in the Bronx and was quite upset even during the ALDS when he thought he was managing his last game. 

1 minute ago, Meacon said:

Nah, I think it was obvious that Joe loved it in the Bronx and was quite upset even during the ALDS when he thought he was managing his last game. 

I think Girardi should hightail it down to DC for an interview if he wants to take a job right away.

Yankees should go after Davey Martinez, since Alex Cora and Mickey Callaway are already taken.

34 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Yeah, sometimes it pays to be eliminated from the post-season in July. :P 

July???  Shit, at least then I would've felt like they had something resembling a season.

Anyway I've already seen some Mets fans on Twitter turning on Mickey now that Girardi is available.  I hate this fanbase.

Supposedly the Yankees have interest in Kevin Long, but that would be kinda awkward seeing as they made him the fall guy just three years ago.

Al Pedrique's also an option seeing as he's managed all of the young players on the team.  But he's viewed as an "old school" guy when most teams are trying to hire managers who value sabermetrics.

it was a fun game to watch - but the baseball purist inside of me thinks it's bullshit that they've gone to this degree to alter the baseballs just increase offensive numbers.  The 2015 All Star Break is when pitchers first started mentioning that the baseballs felt different, and now in this World Series the complaints have gotten even more prevalent.  When Clayton Kershaw, the best pitcher in baseball for years, sets the single season record for home runs allowed in a postseason - you know there's a problem.  Rey Ordonez would've hit 20 home runs a year in today's game.

Having said that, my Facebook was blowing up with posts about the game by people who don't normally ever comment on baseball, and I've heard people at work talking about it even though baseball talk usually dies here once the New York and Boston teams are out.

This is what Manfred wanted.  As much as it pains me to admit - casual fans just don't give a shit about low scoring pitching duels the way purists do.  Baseball is still a business first and foremost, and so this offensive boom is here to stay.

I fell asleep last night after an exhaustive weekend, and when I woke up in the middle of the night I checked the score and couldn't believe what I was reading.

Boy am I going to miss baseball come Tuesday or hopefully, Wednesday night when this all ends.