Which TV Show Fell Off the Hardest?

K

I stopped watching TWD after last season. (The Negan cliffhanger).

Honestly, I had stopped caring halfway through that season. Most episodes were grinds and did barely anything to further the story, and whilst TWD has always been an extremely slow burn show, Season 6 was just a boring shitshow with drama being too drawn out and most shocks being not so shocking at all.

I finished off season 6 because I can't leave stuff, but I was just so 'meh' about it I did nothing with Season 7. I didn't even look up the result of the cliffhanger other than hearing many other people being done with the series after that.

In hindsight, TWD has never been a great show. It's been held up by some decent actors, but ultimately most story lines have generally been average to downright bad. The show has always been more hype than quality, and that 'newness' at the start that it was a serious show about zombies, which was gory and edgy and seeing that it debuted before GoT it was still at the forefront of the whole TV revolution.

But nowadays the hype's gone, and what's left is the die-hard fans that aren't leaving or are waiting for their favourite to finally croak. But in general, TWD's just not that fresh anymore. There are bolder and braver shows out there that put out better things with less money.

9 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Prison Notice series 1 was intense, uneasy and excellent. Series 2 was a cool variation because of the on-the-run angle.....and then it went downhill.

Burn Break was good though

• Like 6

I echo all of the Dexter comments. 

It got so bad that I didn't actually watch the final episode, I just looked to find out what happend and I wasn't surprised at all that it ended so badly. 

Another is Prison Break. I have no idea why it continued beyond Season 2. To me, the story was "break out of prison, now stay out of prison".

All the extra was just nonsense, I gave up half way through the 3rd season. Then I heard it was coming back for another series despite knowing how the "Final Episode" ended. I just shook my head.

On 6/20/2017 at 21:11, Mad Jack said:

Scrubs.

So a little while ago I went back and watched The Office all the way through. Tried to do the same with Scrubs and I just couldn't. It only started in, what, like 01/02 but I just found some of the humour incredibly outdated. A little homophobic, a little sexist, a little transphobic. I loved the show when it was on, but it was super hard to re-watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

So a little while ago I went back and watched The Office all the way through. Tried to do the same with Scrubs and I just couldn't. It only started in, what, like 01/02 but I just found some of the humour incredibly outdated. A little homophobic, a little sexist, a little transphobic. I loved the show when it was on, but it was super hard to re-watch.

It's like you've read my mind and posted it on here. I'm currently re-watching The Office, I stick an episode or two on most nights, and whilst I always viewed Scrubs as one of my favourite shows and its the only sitcom I have every season of on DVD (until I bought The Office in full last month anyway) I don't think I can bring myself to watch it all again, because remembering it back it just feels very 'of its time'. The world was a bit different in the early 2000s with respect to how things were dealt with on TV and I think Scrubs is a big example of that. Hell, look at how different WWE treated its women and the subjects of LGBTQ+ and race not even ten years ago. Totally different now.

I think with The Office, it makes jokes about LGBTQ+ stuff, but the joke is always that people like Michael and Dwight are idiots. 

A good example is when Michael asks Dwight if he could tell who's gay in the office and when he asks about Oscar, he says "no, he's not wearing a dress". The butt of the joke isn't queer people, it's that Dwight is an idiot and doesn't understand LGBTQ+ people. That's not always the case in Scrubs.

• Like 2

The Simpsons immediately jump into my mind.  95% of the time I see someone quoting The Simpsons, it's from the first ten seasons.  I actually think the last few seasons have had some good episodes - but nobody I know who watched the show religiously still watches it, and any time I recommend giving a new episode a chance it's usually "nah, no way it can be as good as it was so why bother?"

By the time the show ends it'll have been 30 seasons long with huge groups of fans who stopped watching not even halfway through the lifespan of the series.

On 2017-6-21 at 13:06, Benji said:

Scrubs gets frustratingly bad around the time Kim gets introduced, which is no comment on Elizabeth Banks because I adore her in everything else. It was the writing overall (but especially her character) that made it bad. It managed to find its funk again before the end though. I also maintain that Julie was JD's best girlfriend and was gutted that she didn't even make the finale.

Glee season one was a delight, but I see "My Headband" in season two as the shark jump, and it only got worse from there. It took a while to jump off, but season five's "The Quarterback" was the finale for me. My favourite character (and his actor) was dead, and I had no other investment left for the show.

How I Met Your Mother was eternally held back from "the worst" by Marshall (and to a lesser degree Robyn and Barney's relationship), but damn if Moseby and Lily didn't try their damndest to make it the worst.

Doctor Who had a massive fall off in quality when Clara joined, and noticeably improved just before she left. It's improved massively this season in her absence.

Big Bang Theory was never the greatest show (I know, some folks around here hate it, full stop, I don't care), but them almost all winding up in relationships killed the show for me. They're no longer charming, more good looking than real life, but socially stupid nerds, they're just dumb sitcom husbands with the cliche whining wives (both tropes I find utterly insulting) who all make comic book references once in a while.

Community fell off after Dan Harmon left the first time and never really found its footing again, despite minor improvements.

Castle went from charming procedural cop show with a "will they won't they" dynamic that somehow worked despite being two of my least favourite tropes, into an utterly dross waste of time when Beckett and Castle finally got together (which they needed to do at that time, as it was getting tired, but the show should have ended at that time too).

Archer's season where the agency is closed is awful, it got better again, but is still not very good. I've yet to bother with the new season because the opener once again changed the premise and I hated it. I don't know why they insist on changing a formula that worked.

But the biggest villain of the piece for me, and possibly the only one that can challenge Dexter - The Simpsons. Without question for me the greatest comedy of all-time at its peak, and for the last decade and a half with very few exceptions probably the least funny waste of a half hour on TV.

Special mention to Lost, which I adored throughout, but entirely understand people giving up on or getting frustrated with, cause some of it was utterly ridiculous.

Having the blessing of never having started Dexter, I really don't know what I'd pick, so I'm just going to comment on Benji's thoughts for the shows I've watched.

Scrubs: Kim was awful. I loved most of Scrubs but she was just the worst. I also didn't hate Season 9, I thought it got unfairly hated (although Aziz Ansari's character in it is ridiculously annoying).

Glee: Definitely overstayed it's welcome, in my opinion, they should have just ended it once they won Nationals in Season 3. Didn't mind it until then but I didn't really see the point of continuing once they'd reached the end goal.

HIMYM: I championed this show all the way to the end, and then it had possibly the most unsatisfying finale I've ever seen. An entire excellent season torn to shreds. The alternate ending they eventually released was way better.

Doctor Who: Clara was easily the worst companion of New Who, and they couldn't even write her out properly ffs. Bill and Nardole have been excellent this season, not sure where they'll go with it next season since near enough everyone is leaving the show. My interest will likely depend on who gets cast as the next Doctor.

TBBT: Definitely starting to plummet in quality. Honestly can't believe they've given it a spin-off series, I can guarantee it'll get great numbers for the premiere due to the show link and drop off so fast it'll be cancelled.

Community: Season 4 was definitely noticeable for Harmon's absence, the whole Changnesia thing was fucking awful. I thought Season 5 recovered well, Jonathan Banks is always excellent and adding John Oliver back in was a great call. I did like Season 6 too, Frankie and Elroy were both good additions again to make up for Donald Glover leaving.

Castle: I'll admit I never finished it, it's another one I always liked but I only got halfway through Season 7 before losing interest ( I think it was when the 3XK arc ended).

Archer: Never had an issue with Archer, I've liked them keeping it fresh premise-wise after the first necessary change. I'm really bored to shit of Barry though.

Simpsons: Outgrew it ages ago, I didn't even know it was still going.

Lost: I only got halfway through Season 5 before it got taken off the old Amazon Video service, so I never went back to finishing it, and I'm reluctant to start back up again because of the mixed reviews I know it had. Never fully understood what was going on once they introduced the different timeline stuff.

On 2017-6-25 at 01:39, VerbalPuke said:

Hate to say it, but starting to think this is the same for me. I binged season 1 and loved it. 2 was good, 3 has been a slog. Getting near 4, we'll see. I'll keep going because I really like Doug Stamper.

Series 3 was definitely the worst, and it does pick up a bit after that. However, it does exemplify the show's underlying problem of having too much meaningless filler content. The UK series had only twelve episodes in total. It did what it needed to do and got out. The US version has thirteen episodes per series and seems to draw itself out for no good reason other than to keep Netflix subscribers.

What's worse for me is that, while the UK version was a fairly simple tale of a man's vengeful quest for power at all costs, with the politics simply serving an auxiliary function, the US adaptation has turned into a political drama first and foremost, with the scheming occasionally popping its head round the door. That just serves to highlight how unrealistic a portrayal of the political system it is, whereas the focus really should be on the characters and their motivations. It still has its moments, but that's all it really is: a show of moments. You could skip about 75% of it and not miss out on anything significant.