"Against Type" actors

MDK

11 hours ago, Pooker said:

How about Vince Vaughn in The Lost World?

He was in Brawl in Cell Block 99 and for the life of me I could not figure out if it was a serious, semi-serious, black comedy or normal comedy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

I thought the same thing of his role in True Detective. At times it was just a parody of a crime boss, it was so weird.

Maybe that is a good thing? I do not know.

I don't remember much of that season, but it was just awkward how everyone would be super serious and dealing with seemingly heavy plot, and Vince Vaughn just comes in with his stand-up comedy voice and is supposed to be the bad ass gangster, and the way he carries his arms is weird. I dunno, I might be over analyzing him unfairly, he is just weird and doesn't fit in. 

He was also in the Liam Neeson Taken role for some WWE Studio movie, and that was bonkers. 

He's apparently playing Jake the Snake Roberts in Fighting with My Family, though, so that should be interesting.

On 12/31/2017 at 21:41, Benjamin said:

I don't remember much of that season, but it was just awkward how everyone would be super serious and dealing with seemingly heavy plot, and Vince Vaughn just comes in with his stand-up comedy voice and is supposed to be the bad ass gangster, and the way he carries his arms is weird. I dunno, I might be over analyzing him unfairly, he is just weird and doesn't fit in. 

He was also in the Liam Neeson Taken role for some WWE Studio movie, and that was bonkers. 

He's apparently playing Jake the Snake Roberts in Fighting with My Family, though, so that should be interesting.

Vince Vaughn as Jake Roberts? Seriously? I'll be avoiding that movie, I think.

Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction. Although he, at times, gets to do the naïve humour that makes him so funny, it's actually a really nuanced role that he absolutely nails. Highly recommended.

Also a massive YES to The Grey. Superb movie that isn't really an action film at all. It's a survival film and it's really well acted by everyone.

Steve Carell in Foxcatcher was a revelation. As, to an extent, was Mark Ruffalo in the same film.

Going way back - Robert Mitchum in Night Of The Hunter is phenomenal. While he'd played antiheroes before, and was undoubtedly the villain in Cape Fear, he was never anything like as menacing or predatory as he was in Night Of The Hunter, before or since.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HunkyPants said:

Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction. Although he, at times, gets to do the naïve humour that makes him so funny, it's actually a really nuanced role that he absolutely nails. Highly recommended.

Can't believe I forgot about Stranger Than Fiction. Great show.

DiCaprio in Django Unchained was pretty against type. Even if he's been criminals, or "bad" characters before he always seemed to still just have that DiCaprio charm and likeability. In that he was just flat out repugnant, manic, violent racist. 

Also, maybe Tom Cruise in Collateral?

Maybe Bruce Willis to a certain extent in Moonrise Kingdom

• Like 1

Last I heard, Vince Vaughn isn't playing Jake Roberts in the Paige movie, his character is just influenced in part by Jake. There's set photos of him where he looks nothing like Jake.

2 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

DiCaprio in Django Unchained was pretty against type. Even if he's been criminals, or "bad" characters before he always seemed to still just have that DiCaprio charm and likeability. In that he was just flat out repugnant, manic, violent racist. 

Maybe Bruce Willis to a certain extent in Moonrise Kingdom

I love that scene in Django where he smashes the glass, badly cutting his hand legitimately yet continues with his monologue without a hitch. Great performance that role.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

That is a good shout. I love that film. As much of a maniac Cruise is with his Scientology thing you cannot deny he is a fantastic actor.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Elijah Wood in Sin City. Babyfaced good guy since childhood to disturbing mute cannibal.

Legit creepy git in that film.