EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: The Results

GoGo Yubari

On 1/18/2018 at 09:19, Cloyd said:

The Deuce is a David Simon one, isn't it? I should watch it.

It is. You should.

I9WdeUX.png

15. Taskmaster (48 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #35)

KP2a2j5.png

14. The Handmaid's Tale (50 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

BDnBcPs.png

13. American Gods (50 points, appeared on six ballots) (Last Year: NR)

k2lYRFm.png

12. Twin Peaks (59 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

TmipM4A.png

11. The Punisher (71 points, appeared on nine ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: Sometimes life is like the second season of Friday Night Lights; you gotta push through and hope there's better stuff ahead.

• Like 1

Honestly astonished Twin Peaks is so low - I kind of assumed that not that many would list it, but everyone who did would have ranked it high enough to get near the top. That's three of my top shows out of the way altogether.

Handmaid's Tale and American Gods are both on my "to watch" list. Twin Peaks I tried to watch the pilot once and it didn't grab me at all. Punisher was solid, and probably the most consistently good Marvel show since Daredevil, even despite dropping my favourite story too early for my taste.

7 hours ago, Skummy said:

Honestly astonished Twin Peaks is so low - I kind of assumed that not that many would list it, but everyone who did would have ranked it high enough to get near the top. That's three of my top shows out of the way altogether.

I listed it high, but very few did at all.

1 minute ago, Bobfoc said:

I've never watched Twin Peaks. I'm worried I'd find it too weird and unsettling.

That's exactly why I think I'd like it, but I don't know why I've never gotten around to it.

I tried watching the first episode of Twin Peaks but it was at a Thanksgiving a couple years ago and within ten minutes my sister was throwing a fit and wanting to watch something else. I'm going to go back there someday.

VwlEyjG.png

10. Agents of SHIELD (72 points, appeared on nine ballots) (Last Year: #12)

LMMz2PR.png

9. Doctor Who (75 points, appeared on seven ballots) (Last Year: NR)

z99YC47.png

8. Brooklyn Nine Nine (116 points, appeared on twelve ballots) (Last Year: #10)

66GZUP0.png

7. BoJack Horseman (141 points, appeared on twelve ballots) (Last Year: #9)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: Dammit. That was a real trip for biscuits, and now we're all wet, daddy-o.

• Like 1

I haven't had a chance to watch B99 this year (RIP satellite subscription), but I assume it's been as good as always.

BoJack! Yay! This season was dark (what's new with BoJack) but at least it ended on a hopeful note. 

Agents of Shield goes from strength to strength, so pleased with that. Doctor Who had an absolute renaissance last season, and revealed that Clara has been the weak link for years, so an absolutely deserved return to the top ten. Brooklyn Nine Nine is sort of waning for me lately, it's fun but the formula is far too samey, and whilst I'm not a fan of shaking up an established cast, I honestly think it couldn't harm it if they tried it, or brought it to an end. BoJack Horseman was robbed tho, but not being number one is typical BoJack, so suck a dick dumb shits.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Cloyd said:

I haven't had a chance to watch B99 this year (RIP satellite subscription), but I assume it's been as good as always.

It’s been great. The first episodes dealt with the fallout from last season really well. Plus there’s been some great focus on Terry, Rosa, and Holt.

For my money the most suspenseful part is here, because after this you can usually guess the top three. The shows that didn't quite make it are....

tGobaLU.png

6. Better Call Saul (149 points, appeared on twelve ballots) (Last Year: #7)

GOl6kpp.png

5. The Good Place (152 points, appeared on thirteen ballots) (Last Year: NR)

X65iTEz.png

4. Stranger Things (163 points, appeared on thirteen ballots) (Last Year: #1)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: All right, well, this is definitely not a match for children. Or may-- or maybe it is. Maybe you're... you're really never too young to know about this country's racial history.

Better Call Saul making it that high doesn't surprise me at all, it was a great season which we've come to expect from Gilligan. The Good Place is amazing but probably placed a bit higher than it would have if it wasn't EWB's new hot thing, but I am not complaining at all because it is such a great and upbeat show. Stranger Things kind of let me down a little in the second season, and I honestly think it's too high compared to a lot of other shows. It's still really fun, but it didn't feel quite as cohesive as season one.

I feel like BCS should have been higher and would have been had it not aired so early in the year. It was for sure a top 3 show this year.