EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: The Results

GoGo Yubari

3 hours ago, El Hijosh del Ice Cream said:

BCS and The Good Place absolutely should have placed higher. Possibly the best drama and definitely the best comedy of the year.

I mean, top 4 are the most anticipated thing, hottest/meme'ist thing, the cool Netflix original which is linked with what this forum is about and the biggest TV show on the planet.

I think 5/6 is pretty fair seeing as the four things in front are way more popular

• Like 2

Game of Thrones still being ranked so high boggles my mind. I mean, the first 3 seasons were great, but after that it became an incredibly above average show. 

GLOW was great but actually a little far down my list, but TV was just great last year. 

Basically, the Handmaid's Tale should have won :shifty:

Game Of Thrones finally took over The Walking Dead as the worlds biggest TV Show this year right? (Obviously helped by TWD being dogshit)

So most people watched it, put it in their list, then there's a lot of people that like it or not, it's their favourite TV show (through familiarity or whatever at the very least).

I put GOT at number one. Suck it.

• Like 1

Yeah, GOT is the only show that I have to watch as soon as it comes out. I have to avoid spoilers all day. I've spent so long with the characters, all my friends watch it, everyone's talking about it. I enjoy that cultural phenomenon of TV as much as the TV show itself. By the point, the show has me in the palm of its hand, and I think a little less about quality, than the overall experience of watching it, sharing it with friends,  more than anything else. 

• Like 2

Finish it, GoGo, jeez, it's been over a damn month.

XYYG90m.png

3. Game of Thrones (168 points, appeared on fifteen ballots) (Last Year: #2)

nq7boyo.png

2. Rick and Morty (175 points, appeared on seventeen ballots) (Last Year: NR)

5DU6L3C.png

1. GLOW (263 points, appeared on twenty-five ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Yup! This was the biggest blowout I think we've had in a while. To compare; Stranger Things last year won with 202 points, 27 points higher than the runner-up. It turns out that a Netflix show about wrestling that's actually good plays really well with the wrestling message board that has members from multiple countries! Regardless of whether it was everyone's very favorite show (I'd have to go back but I feel like it didn't have a lot of spots at #1 on anyone's list), it's very very obviously the consensus show of the year. But can it avoid the sophomore slump? That only time, and your ballots this December, will tell!

Thank you so much for your votes as always. Until next time, here's a training montage set to Stan Bush because GLOW is real good.

Next Time, on EWB's Favorite Show 2018:

• Like 6

Aw Glow as a winner is strangely fitting. I personally thought the latest season of Rick and Morty was really hit and miss and a big step down from the previous seasons, for me, it felt like it was trying too hard and was a bit too in love with itself. Still had some great eps though. 

GLOW was probably the easiest Netflix show to binge through since season 1 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Can't think of any other show of theirs I just burned through in one sitting with such hunger for the next episode right away (Trollhunters might be up there, though).

GOT is GOT in that it's cool but it's more of a must-see show because you're almost bound to get spoilers thrown at you from everywhere.

Rick and Morty was that show that have those terrible fans that did that McDonald's sauce nonsense, if I'm not mistaken, so eurgh.

• Like 1

Happy with GLOW making it to the top, don't care for Game of Thrones at all, and I've never watched a single episode of Rick and Morty - and of all pop culture that I haven't consumed, it's probably the one I find most immediately alienating. With most TV shows I haven't watched, I could probably guess at the gist of it, but I have no clue about Rick and Morty, and how excessively it's been meme-ified and quoted by people who get on my nerves makes me really reluctant to check it out. I'm probably missing something, but eh, life's too short.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skummy said:

Happy with GLOW making it to the top, don't care for Game of Thrones at all, and I've never watched a single episode of Rick and Morty - and of all pop culture that I haven't consumed, it's probably the one I find most immediately alienating. With most TV shows I haven't watched, I could probably guess at the gist of it, but I have no clue about Rick and Morty, and how excessively it's been meme-ified and quoted by people who get on my nerves makes me really reluctant to check it out. I'm probably missing something, but eh, life's too short.

I feel exactly the same about Rick and Morty. 

I probably should have done some voting as I didn’t see Peaky Blinders or Blood Drive. I don’t know if I watch enough TV to have a top ten. The Punisher is good for the three episodes I’ve watched. 

I voted for all of the top 3 but I do think Saul was better. GOT really is the biggest show in the world (taking the mantle from Breaking Bad, I'm not sure Walking Dead ever quite reached that level) so no surprise it's so high, and whilst I only started watching Rick & Morty this past year, I can see why it's so ingrained now within our culture.

Above all, GLOW was a wonderful, fun show and on such a board as this fully deserved the accolade. Looking forward to seeing what 2018 brings us in the weird world of TV!