The Vanarama Non-League Football Thread

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Neal Ardley has been sacked by Notts County. My feelings are mixed because he always seemed like a nice person who was well respected by everyone at the club. However, with the squad he's had, I think he's underachieved. The club already has his replacement lined up, so I hope it's someone better. Otherwise, there's no point.

He was. I'm hoping he'll be of a similar ilk. His first interview seemed reasonably promising because he spoke about developing an approach based on statistical data. The club owners run Football Radar, a company that collects such information on players, and whose findings inform club signings, so it looks on paper to be a sensible match.

I do feel for Ardley on a human level, though. I've only ever heard positive things about him as a person from journalists who've spoken to him, and he clearly put his all into managing the club. Leigh Curtis of the Nottingham Post said that, after he had heart surgery, Ardley offered him lifts home after matches if he ever felt incapable of driving. Honestly, I don't see him as a future great in the management field, but he ought to get a job elsewhere sooner rather than later. To deal with all the off-field nonsense under the Alan Hardy regime and still maintain a good team spirit shows that he's the kind of stabilising influence that a few lower league/ non-league clubs could benefit from right now.

Like, they can't have not had some sort of inkling of how these decisions would play out when non-league football is on it's arse?

They can't be that out of touch.

• 1 month later...

They've been the form team for the last few weeks. Torquay have to feel that they've thrown away a major opportunity, though. They weren't fancied at the start of the season, but they were a long way ahead not so long ago. I reckon Stockport should be favourite for the playoffs, as much as I'd like to see a certain other team go up.

Meanwhile, Hornchurch of the Ithsmian Premier League won the FA Trophy. The gap between the divisions at this level obviously isn't as large as it is higher up the pyramid, but it's still an impressive achievement. The original Hornchurch FC folded in 2005 and they've since got themselves up to the third non-league tier, and this is the highest-profile competition they've ever won.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...