The Vanarama Non-League Football Thread

Adam

3 hours ago, JasonM said:

They mentioned it yesterday, never before have two clubs in the same division gotten over 100 points. So it's truly a historic season, and arguably a call for promotion from the National League to be overhauled.

Of course that will never happen because EFL clubs have too much to lose, and there are some clubs in the Natty that would leap into the mid table immediately, as well as both Notts and Wrexham arguably being at League One levels already.

There's been a lot of talk of making its three up/three down soon between Nat League and L2 tbf.

3 hours ago, JasonM said:

They mentioned it yesterday, never before have two clubs in the same division gotten over 100 points. So it's truly a historic season, and arguably a call for promotion from the National League to be overhauled.

Of course that will never happen because EFL clubs have too much to lose, and there are some clubs in the Natty that would leap into the mid table immediately, as well as both Notts and Wrexham arguably being at League One levels already.

There's been a lot of talk of making its three up/three down soon between Nat League and L2 tbf.

That's crazy. Unlike Tinie Tempah I've never been to Southampton but I've been to Scunthorpe, that'll be a massive ground for National League North. And that was a relevant reference 13 years ago.

Nice shout out for South Shields.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Glanford Park would just shade King's Lynn for biggest ground in the division this season, though King's Lynn look like getting promoted. It's also in a dilapidated, run-down sorry state much like the entire club.

Scunthorpe is an example of what happens when an owner just...stops funding a club properly and sees them into terminal decline. It's alarming how quickly they've fallen down the pyramid. Yeovil look likely to go with them this year, and they were in the Championship as recently as 2014.

It's another factor on why the Conference is such a tough division these days. It's always been hard to get out of due to how scarce opportunities to get out were (they have eased them with the playoff spot and I'm not sure if they've got the "your ground might be good enough for England but we'll be damned if we'll let Cambridge United turn up there" rule still). There's a lot of established league names down there alongside teams on their way up with good set ups. The top conference sides are usually more than enough to compete to a decent level in League Two if not run straight through the league like we've seen a lot over the years so a team who struggled and got relegated have got a tough rebuild ahead of them.

It's long overdue to consider it officially "League Three" or to be more integrated and this season could easily trigger more discussion on it. If (as it seems at the moment despite plenty of time for shenanigans) Notts County were to come second with a ridiculous points total and then get caught out in a one off tie against Boreham Wood it'll feel so much more of a let down than even the usual play off heartbreaks teams get. I know there's a thin line as there always is in football but the Conference is a long way from the traditional image of "a bunch of postmen who occasionally get a nice cup run" these days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colly said:

That's crazy. Unlike Tinie Tempah I've never been to Southampton but I've been to Scunthorpe, that'll be a massive ground for National League North. And that was a relevant reference 13 years ago.

Nice shout out for South Shields.

Up the Mariners.

Yeovil had a wonderful team in the early 2000s. Darren Way, Adam Stansfield, Kevin Gall, Adam Lockwood, Michael McIndoe (the latter two whom we poached when we also got promoted to the league) and it was a great achievement when they got to the Championship. It's just all gone absolutely pear-shaped for them since then, hope they find a way back in the coming years.

• Like 2

Ah such a shame. Yeovil always was a fun little team to watch at time's. I hope they can sort themselves out. Would hate another club to go under. 

So many little club's I used to love just going under. Darlington was a blow many year's ago. Rushden and Diamonds. Gretna I had a love for in Scotland for many season's, along with East Stirling. Thankfully I think East Sterling are still going. 

It was surreal going from going to Darlington to watch Newcastle in preseason in 2011 to watching them play against my local 9th tier side only a season later. 

Edited by Colly
  • Like 1

You honestly love to see it. Not even Rob and Ryan were keeping it dry after that, for all the people that are skeptical, they do genuinely seem to care about the club and town, so it's nice seeing Wrexham get their day in the sun, and hope they can keep building from there.

image.png

• Like 2

Fantastic for the club and for the team. I know they've got the money behind them but it's still a fantastic achievement. 

I really hope Notts County go up as well. They really deserve it based on how they've done this season

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
4 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Bury AFC, the phoenix club of the old Football League club, will start playing at Gigg Lane next season. It's good to see that such an old stadium is being used again, and it's a good sign for Bury's road to recovery.

Have the two phoenix clubs merged then?