The Vanarama Non-League Football Thread

Adam

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Ben Foster has come out of retirement to join Wrexham. Sounds like more of an opportunity to shill his podcast than anything else.

The end of this season is going to be a bit unusual. Notts are virtually numerically guaranteed not to finish lower than second, but I also don't see much chance of them catching Wrexham to win the league. Potentially not having anything to play for until the playoffs is going to be interesting.

I have a bad feeling about the playoffs, in no small part because Notts have lost in them for the last three seasons. The prospect of getting over 100 points and still not getting promoted would be a real kick in the teeth.

Yeah I don't know what Ben Foster's play is when early on in the season he explicitly chose retirement rather than a contract at Wrexham for the whole season.

Hope Notts can get their promotion though, neither them or Wrexham deserve to stay stuck in non-league after this past season and just further highlights the sheer level of play needed to run for promotion.

Interesting little development, the FA have proposed changes to the non league contract that would allow clubs to stop paying injured players after 12 weeks and potentially sack them. This has unsurprisingly not gone down well, and the captains of all the National league clubs have signed the below.

• Like 2

Good stuff at Meadow Lane today. Over 16,000 people were in attendance as Notts beat Scunthorpe 4-0, with Macaulay Langstaff scoring his 39th league goal of the season. He's only one goal behind the National League record now, which is even more impressive when you consider that none of them have been penalties.

It's funny how things turn out. Paul Mullin was the top scorer in League Two the season before Wrexham picked him up, and yet he's being outscored by someone Notts signed from Gateshead.

• Like 1

Macaulay Langstaff broke the Notts County club record for goals in a season with his 40th of this campaign last night, in a win at Altrincham.

He takes the record from Tom Keetley, set in 1931. Keetley happens to be Doncaster Rovers' all-time record goalscorer to this day too for his exploits in the 1920s.

It really will be a shame if County don't go up this season behind Wrexham.

• 2 weeks later...

Never venture into this thread BUT my dad's hometown team Ebbsfleet United are rejoining the National League after storming the National South this year. Happy for him, he still manages to plan trips with my mum around sneakily going off to see away games. He watched them seal the win at Taunton last weekend.

• Haha 2

Wrexham's defeat today makes Monday's showdown spicier. If I didn't know better, I'd say that they were engineering an exciting finale for the next documentary. Honestly, I don't see Notts beating them away from home, but it makes me happy that they're still in contention against a club that could probably push for League Two promotion already.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2023 at 22:06, Bobfoc said:

Wrexham's defeat today makes Monday's showdown spicier. If I didn't know better, I'd say that they were engineering an exciting finale for the next documentary. Honestly, I don't see Notts beating them away from home, but it makes me happy that they're still in contention against a club that could probably push for League Two promotion already.

What a fucking game this ended up being.

• Like 1

If, as seems likely, that Wrexham win the league it feels particularly devastating for Notts they’ll have to faff with the playoffs with over a 100 points. Let’s hope they go up through the playoffs.

• Like 3

A few Wrexham fans were singing, "Jason's in a box," in reference to the recent death of Notts CEO Jason Turner. It's a shame that that sort of thing can tarnish a fun match.

While I didn't like seeing Notts lose, it was an unexpected opportunity anyway. Wrexham's current squad ought to be contending for League Two promotion, let alone National League. The playoffs are going to be nerve-wracking because that's the stage Notts have fallen during the last three seasons.

• Sad 1

Its so incredibly harsh that there is a possibility that one of Wrexham/Notts County might not go up, considering the seasons both teams have had. 

• Like 2

It's why you really don't want to get relegated from League Two. The best few teams in the National League are almost always stronger than the worst few teams in League Two, but having only two promoted teams means that some decent sides can spend ages trying to get out. It was even more difficult in the days of only one promotion place.

7 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Its so incredibly harsh that there is a possibility that one of Wrexham/Notts County might not go up, considering the seasons both teams have had. 

They mentioned it yesterday, never before have two clubs in the same division gotten over 100 points. So it's truly a historic season, and arguably a call for promotion from the National League to be overhauled.

Of course that will never happen because EFL clubs have too much to lose, and there are some clubs in the Natty that would leap into the mid table immediately, as well as both Notts and Wrexham arguably being at League One levels already.

• Like 1