The Vanarama Non-League Football Thread

Adam

3 minutes ago, MDK said:

I do and I don't. Its great for a neutral but fuck me I'd be pissed off it it was Orient playing away. Imagine if the CL knockout stages were just one game, you'd be pissed.

I suppose in a way, over a league season you could argue that a team has earnt the right for home advantage if they've finished higher. 

19 minutes ago, Sticks Sticksly said:

Just found out that North Ferriby United was wound up. Three(?) years after making the National League. Shame that Heath gutted them and the team dies over 8k in debt.

They will be replaced by a phoenix club and will start in the North Western Pro Evostick Vanarama League North or something.

4 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Salford and Fylde will contest the Playoff Final. I'd like Fylde to win, but I'd also rather Salford weren't in the same division as Notts County next season. 

Nuts to Salford. Just go about and batter them next season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MDK said:

They will be replaced by a phoenix club and will start in the North Western Pro Evostick Vanarama League North or something.

I read about this. It seems to me that it would have been cheaper for the community to take over the previous club and its debts than to start a new one. I read on Twitter that refurbishing costs for the new grounds are around £42k. Nevermind wages and new unis and the like. 

3 minutes ago, Sticks Sticksly said:

I read about this. It seems to me that it would have been cheaper for the community to take over the previous club and its debts than to start a new one. I read on Twitter that refurbishing costs for the new grounds are around £42k. Nevermind wages and new units and the like. 

I didn't figure you for a fan of non-league football.

1 minute ago, Sticks Sticksly said:

Honestly, I'm not a soccer fan at all. I'm a geek though and the pyramid is fascinating. The idea that I can get eleven dudes from the bar or work and in a few years be in the ranks of the major teams is just the coolest thing.  

Don't go looking at the Brazilian league system. It is a rabbit hole.

7 minutes ago, Sticks Sticksly said:

Honestly, I'm not a soccer fan at all. I'm a geek though and the pyramid is fascinating. The idea that I can get eleven dudes from the bar or work and in a few years be in the ranks of the major teams is just the coolest thing. 

You must love the FA Cup then.

26 minutes ago, Sticks Sticksly said:

The Sutton United goalie eating on the sideline is what made me look into all of this.

Have a look at some of the smaller international football teams too. And if you want your heart strings tugged try watching "Next Goal Wins" about the American Samoa football team and their attempt to qualify for the World Cup after they got battered like a naughty cod 33-0 by Australia many years ago.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MDK said:

Have a look at some of the smaller international football teams too. And if you want your heart strings tugged try watching "Next Goal Wins" about the American Samoa football team and their attempt to qualify for the World Cup after they got battered like a naughty cod 33-0 by Australia many years ago.

31. :P

1 hour ago, Sticks Sticksly said:

If I'm reading correctly, it's like bracketed pyramids?

My brain is melting. 

It's not that complicated, albeit if you're not used to it, it can be hard at first.

Basically there are 3 levels in the pyramid working the same way as pretty much everywhere else in the world. Top teams are promoted, bottom teams are relegated.

The 4th level is where things change because the 4th level isn't really part of the pyramid, but rather a tournament where all its participants are teams from outside the pyramid trying to reach it. 

The tournament's participants are decided based on their results in the state championships.  This tournament works pretty much like a World Cup or Champions League, meaning there's a group stage and then knockout stages.

State championships are way older than the national league in Brazil and I don't think fans would ever allow them to cease to exist. They are really important for them (most of them at least). The best teams in each state (obviously excluding those already part of the Brazilian League) will be part of the 4th division - the tournament I mentioned above - and try to qualify to the pyramid.

A couple of examples: 

In a small state like Amapa the winner and runner-up in the state championship qualified to the 4th level.

In a strong state like Sao Paulo, the 5th, 7th and 12th qualified because everyone else was already part of the pyramid.

1 minute ago, Bobfoc said:

Couldn't we promote neither of them and keep Notts in the league?

I am in favour of this.

On 04/05/2019 at 13:23, DavidMarrio said:

I didn't realise that the Vanarama only played the one leg for the playoffs. Quite like that idea. 

Still like that idea?

42 minutes ago, MDK said:

I am in favour of this.

Still like that idea?

If it means more media wanking off over the class of 92....

Just liquidate football. 

• Like 1