The Vanarama Non-League Football Thread

Adam

Leyton Orient have signed former Stevenage midfielder Dale Gorman.

The 21-year-old has agreed a two-year deal at Brisbane Road after being released by Stevenage last month after five years at the club.

Having started his career in his native Northern Ireland, Gorman went on to play at youth level for his country and 11 games for the under-21s.

He is the first signing at National League side Leyton Orient since the season ended.

Leyton Orient goalkeeper Sam Sargeant has signed a new two-year contract with the National League side.

The 20-year-old played three league games for the O's last term and went on loan to Margate and Leatherhead.

In all the academy product has made 18 league appearances since his senior debut in May 2016.

"I think there is a good team bond and together we can really push on and I think this season is going to be a really good one," Sargeant said.

Orient finished 13th in the National League last season.

Since I moved to my current house nearly 5 years ago I've been promising myself I'll attend at least a few Salford City games as their ground is about a 20-25 minute walk from my house. Now they're at this level, I have no excuse. Up the Ammies!

• 3 weeks later...

Opening day fixtures

Saturday, 4 August

Kick-offs 15:00 BST unless stated

• Salford City v Leyton Orient (12:30 BST on BT Sport)
  • AFC Fylde v Bromley
  • Aldershot Town v Barnet
  • Barrow v Havant & Waterlooville
  • Boreham Wood v Dagenham & Redbridge
  • Braintree Town v FC Halifax Town
  • Dover Athletic v Wrexham
  • Eastleigh v Solihull Moors
  • Ebbsfleet United v Chesterfield
  • Harrogate Town v Sutton United
  • Maidenhead United v Gateshead
  • Maidstone United v Hartlepool United

How do we think Salford will do this year? 

21 minutes ago, DFF said:

How do we think Salford will do this year? 

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't at least be making the playoffs.

2 hours ago, PolaMDK said:

Well I'm hoping they lose the first game.

They can win the return fixture though is what you are suggesting, nice of you to be so benevolent 

21 minutes ago, PanamAdam said:

I sincerely hope they get relegated, but it probably won't happen.

Why do you hope that?

40 minutes ago, PanamAdam said:

I sincerely hope they get relegated, but it probably won't happen.

That's a bit harsh. I know they've put in a lot of money but they've also built the ground up and started Academy 92. Salford's growth has done a lot for kids in this area.

23 minutes ago, Nelson said:

That's a bit harsh. I know they've put in a lot of money but they've also built the ground up and started Academy 92. Salford's growth has done a lot for kids in this area.

Yeah, they're hardly Billericay Town. Who as it turns out are in the Conference South now. They can feel free to finish last.

• Thanks 1

Just my personal disdain for the way the 'Class of 92' have turned them into essentially a non-league Man Utd, just comes across like a vanity project. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any great desire to see them fail or anything (Billericay certainly are a much more loathsome outfit thanks to Tamplin) but it just annoys me, the way the BBC in particular fawn over them and the fact they're run on such a high budget. I have seen Salford fans unhappy at the way their club has been totally transformed into something it never had been before, although I'm sure most are just happy with the success.

I don't like it when clubs distort the financial playing field of non-league, so to speak. A club at that level ordinarily shouldn't be able to get the level of players as them, and I've seen reports of how high Graham Alexander's wages are as their new manager. Just not for me, these clubs bankrolled into success like Crawley, Fleetwood, Whitehawk and Billericay etc.

• Like 1

I guess this can go in here, Salford City vs Fleetwood Town in a pre-season friendly live on BT Sports tonight so if Brazil vs Belgium doesn't go into extra time, we can watch the 2nd half.

• 2 weeks later...