The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

A tl;dr for anyone that doesn't want to have to go to Kotaku - everything pre-New 52 exists again, but the New 52 universe is still the main, ongoing one.

Edited by TKzo Amore

I'm reading some 80's Green Arrow and Jesus, Ollie gets into some real shit real fast. Two of the first 3 stories are Ollie trying to pin down a serial child abductor and Ollie dealing with gay bashing.

You reading before of after issue 85 ? Issue 85/86 of GL/GA is one of THE absolute real deal stories that have been written.

I'm reading some 80's Green Arrow and Jesus, Ollie gets into some real shit real fast. Two of the first 3 stories are Ollie trying to pin down a serial child abductor and Ollie dealing with gay bashing.

You reading before of after issue 85 ? Issue 85/86 of GL/GA is one of THE absolute real deal stories that have been written.

I'm on the vol that started in 88 and ran till 98. 1 to 137. I have the older GL\GA comics to read too though. I actually have an ass ton of GA stuff to read so I can get through the off season of the TV show.

completely seperate from the above

0Q7FSrJ.jpg

Superman is always watching.

Edited by Kirkland

I'm on the vol that started in 88 and ran till 98. 1 to 137. I have the older GL\GA comics to read too though. I actually have an ass ton of GA stuff to read so I can get through the off season of the TV show.

You need to read the issues right before that ;)

• Like 1

Am I the only one that's always been puzzled by Catwoman's old purple costumes? Have any of you ever seen a purple cat?

catwoman_1940s2-150x150.jpg

^ That was her look for a good while and when the tv show hit (and the black skin tight suit came into play) they adopted the skin tight but kept with the purple though because batman had quite the color scheme going in the comics (although it was originally a green suit).

Srar may be interested in Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows. It's a tie-in miniseries for Secret Wars, set in a universe where Spidey and MJ got married and had a daughter.

• Like 1

Forever now I've been completely obsessed with the Captain America canon. Recently I decided to take my hard earned cash and get some silver age comics of good ol' Cap so I can read them from the beginning. Obviously, getting anything golden age just isn't going to happen, so I've been focusing on Tales of Suspense and his first solo run. Really stoked I was able to pick these up.

IMG_0443_zpsdetjrwuk.jpg

IMG_0444_zps06potvg7.jpg

IMG_0445_zpsn5fyt3l8.jpg

Got all 3 for a total of $100 and they're in great shape. Picked up #101, 102, 104, and 105 also, but I don't have pics of those yet. Anyways, gonna have fun reading them.

• Like 1

Forever now I've been completely obsessed with the Captain America canon. Recently I decided to take my hard earned cash and get some silver age comics of good ol' Cap so I can read them from the beginning. Obviously, getting anything golden age just isn't going to happen, so I've been focusing on Tales of Suspense and his first solo run. Really stoked I was able to pick these up.

IMG_0443_zpsdetjrwuk.jpg

IMG_0444_zps06potvg7.jpg

IMG_0445_zpsn5fyt3l8.jpg

Got all 3 for a total of $100 and they're in great shape. Picked up #101, 102, 104, and 105 also, but I don't have pics of those yet. Anyways, gonna have fun reading them.

Great pick ups .... oddly enough Cap has been caught up in a slow burning rise in terms of his comics increasing in value (Golden Age stuff obviously excluded). It's tricky because he was all over the place so the "old" crowd had his stuff stockpiled like many of my generation had the XMen and Spiderman books of the 80's and to a further extent Iron Man .... but guys in my generation read Cap stuff but weren't too interested in keeping it around because we had our own heroes. We got our Cap fill in the Avengers stuff. Then we started reading the older stuff for our heroes (XMen, Spidey, Avengers, Iron Man etc) and hey look at that .... Tales of Suspense was awesome ... CAP WAS AWESOME !

So we started going after it ... and we were able to find it for not too much of a mark up because many of the old shops had it. Now though, its really being sought out and is just starting to run dry so to speak with good copies finally all getting snatched up. For instance, your finds are still pretty good at that price point ... just under 2yrs ago I got a CGC Graded 8.0 Cap 100 (now being regraded at CBCS) for under 275 shipped. Recent sales on Ebay have the cheapest one at 315 shipped (March) but they've moved up to 400 and as high as 599 BIN ...

I highly recommend the TOS ... the entire run is pretty damn fantastic. It started out with great Sci Fi stuff by those guys Kirby, Lee, Lieber, Ditko, Heck .... and then went on a hell of a run debuting characters: Iron Man, Crimson Dynamo, Mandarin, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Pepper, Batroc, Sharon Carter, Modok, and hell even Jarvis.

Having literally just finished it (I read the filler Iron Man and Sub-Mariner this morning) I can absolutely second that. Outside of maybe the spell where they covered WW2 stories rather than 'modern' Cap it's excellent, Iron Man in particular for me.

• Like 1

IMG_0443_zpsdetjrwuk.jpg

IMG_0444_zps06potvg7.jpg

IMG_0445_zpsn5fyt3l8.jpg

Great pick ups .... oddly enough Cap has been caught up in a slow burning rise in terms of his comics increasing in value (Golden Age stuff obviously excluded). It's tricky because he was all over the place so the "old" crowd had his stuff stockpiled like many of my generation had the XMen and Spiderman books of the 80's and to a further extent Iron Man .... but guys in my generation read Cap stuff but weren't too interested in keeping it around because we had our own heroes. We got our Cap fill in the Avengers stuff. Then we started reading the older stuff for our heroes (XMen, Spidey, Avengers, Iron Man etc) and hey look at that .... Tales of Suspense was awesome ... CAP WAS AWESOME !

So we started going after it ... and we were able to find it for not too much of a mark up because many of the old shops had it. Now though, its really being sought out and is just starting to run dry so to speak with good copies finally all getting snatched up. For instance, your finds are still pretty good at that price point ... just under 2yrs ago I got a CGC Graded 8.0 Cap 100 (now being regraded at CBCS) for under 275 shipped. Recent sales on Ebay have the cheapest one at 315 shipped (March) but they've moved up to 400 and as high as 599 BIN ...

I highly recommend the TOS ... the entire run is pretty damn fantastic. It started out with great Sci Fi stuff by those guys Kirby, Lee, Lieber, Ditko, Heck .... and then went on a hell of a run debuting characters: Iron Man, Crimson Dynamo, Mandarin, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Pepper, Batroc, Sharon Carter, Modok, and hell even Jarvis.

Holy crap! You can barely get a Good copy for that price nowadays. LOL. I got super lucky with my #100 cause the guy listed it wrong and I learned a long time ago to keep on the lookout for when things like that happen, got mine for $80. That is some really cool information regarding TOS. I've been noticing that they aren't overly expensive right now, you can find some between $5-$10 for a decent copy; for example, I just picked up TOS #76 and 89 for $8. I don't have a lot of money, but I do have a criteria set for what I get, can't be folded, no major tears, and has to have a cover, so I imagine this hobby being somewhat expensive at the start, being that I want to start from the beginning and work my way through the years. I've read from some places that Fair and Good copies are actually undervalued in the market and should be rise in price, do you agree with that assessment?

The big one I want to get is TOS #58, what appears to be Cap and Iron Man fighting for the first time. That'll be a fun read.

Holy crap! You can barely get a Good copy for that price nowadays. LOL. I got super lucky with my #100 cause the guy listed it wrong and I learned a long time ago to keep on the lookout for when things like that happen, got mine for $80. That is some really cool information regarding TOS. I've been noticing that they aren't overly expensive right now, you can find some between $5-$10 for a decent copy; for example, I just picked up TOS #76 and 89 for $8. I don't have a lot of money, but I do have a criteria set for what I get, can't be folded, no major tears, and has to have a cover, so I imagine this hobby being somewhat expensive at the start, being that I want to start from the beginning and work my way through the years. I've read from some places that Fair and Good copies are actually undervalued in the market and should be rise in price, do you agree with that assessment?

The big one I want to get is TOS #58, what appears to be Cap and Iron Man fighting for the first time. That'll be a fun read.

Yeah, I got in right before it really started gaining traction. That issue in particular suffers from a general malaise with the older collectors. It technically is a 1st issue but you know, the Golden Age stuff. For the vast majority of the collectors now that's irrelevant. Silver Age 1st appearances and 1st issues (or those that are effectively 1st issues) are viewed with just as much regard essentially. Perfect example is Hulk 102 ... still relatively cheap for pretty high grade copies (mine is a 6 graded through CBCS ... bought raw right after the Cap 100 and with the cost of grading I'm only 50 into it). Consequently, I'd check out the Strange Tales line as well .. just great stuff. You can get very solid runs of both TOS and ST for relatively cheap. I mean there's 1st SA appearance of Red Skull in TOS as well ... all sorts of goodies between the two books like 1st app's of Beetle, Boomerang, Fixer/Mentallo (both in ST 141), Super Adaptoid etc etc etc

For the question ... in my experience the mid range (4-6.5) copies are undervalued in general, while most SA books are undervalued across the board (not to include your top tier books of course) in the mid grade range. The dropoff at the lower end (2/3.5) grades is hit or miss. I've found a copy of JET POWERS #1 that will likely grade a 3 only because the cover is detached (book is complete, cover is complete and overall is otherwise a 7 or higher) that I got for 25$ ... after grading, even at a 2.5 or 3 I'd come out ahead as they're listed in the 2-4 range raw at 30-60$. The issue is that people are starting to come around to being realistic in collecting. Yes, everyone wants high grade books but collectable grade goes pretty far down the scale ... and now the budget collector is starting to impact that g/vg range.

Yeah, I got in right before it really started gaining traction. That issue in particular suffers from a general malaise with the older collectors. It technically is a 1st issue but you know, the Golden Age stuff. For the vast majority of the collectors now that's irrelevant. Silver Age 1st appearances and 1st issues (or those that are effectively 1st issues) are viewed with just as much regard essentially. Perfect example is Hulk 102 ... still relatively cheap for pretty high grade copies (mine is a 6 graded through CBCS ... bought raw right after the Cap 100 and with the cost of grading I'm only 50 into it). Consequently, I'd check out the Strange Tales line as well .. just great stuff. You can get very solid runs of both TOS and ST for relatively cheap. I mean there's 1st SA appearance of Red Skull in TOS as well ... all sorts of goodies between the two books like 1st app's of Beetle, Boomerang, Fixer/Mentallo (both in ST 141), Super Adaptoid etc etc etc

For the question ... in my experience the mid range (4-6.5) copies are undervalued in general, while most SA books are undervalued across the board (not to include your top tier books of course) in the mid grade range. The dropoff at the lower end (2/3.5) grades is hit or miss. I've found a copy of JET POWERS #1 that will likely grade a 3 only because the cover is detached (book is complete, cover is complete and overall is otherwise a 7 or higher) that I got for 25$ ... after grading, even at a 2.5 or 3 I'd come out ahead as they're listed in the 2-4 range raw at 30-60$. The issue is that people are starting to come around to being realistic in collecting. Yes, everyone wants high grade books but collectable grade goes pretty far down the scale ... and now the budget collector is starting to impact that g/vg range.

Great info, sounds like you've been collecting for quite awhile. For myself, I can't get too into getting graded comics, just so dang expensive; even for Very Good copies of anything. The story is what I'm most interested in. If I can get a good looking comic at an affordable price, I'll get it, but I imagine all of the Silver age stuff is going to be close to reader copies only. I'll check out Strange Tales, based off of your experience I'll take your word on how great they are and pick up a copy.

As for the budget collector, I've been reading a lot about sellers not being able to keep g/vg on the shelp, even at above overstreet. As a budget buyer that concerns me, LOL. Seems like I'm getting late in the game on these, but oh well. :-)

You need to read the issues right before that ;)

These?

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Arrow_Vol_1