The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

That's really cool... thanks! You've convinced me to get Marvel Unlimited. I knew that people telling me it was jump-in-able with ease was too good to be true, articles reviewing the damn thing even said so. Even though, after a quick history lesson I'm kind of good after my second reading aside from anything going on in Ultimate which I never paid attention to.

So I was looking for ways to procrastinate and not study, and I read this thing on Uproxx about this Marvel comic called Secret Wars. It said that it's some sort of reboot and basically a lot of things starting from scratch? I really like that and it could be the thing that gets me back into reading comics again after my failed attempt last year.

So I what I wanted to ask was whether I could pick up nothing but Secret Wars (the article said only the first two issues had come out, no idea how long those are) and not miss anything? I've wandered into here a fair bit and seen you guys write about tie-in comics and that's where it kind of loses it's appeal for me. Could I just read this series and nothing else? Or will I need to read other series as well?

Secret Wars is the final act of a storyline built up over a couple of years, but it will apparently do something of a not really reboot. It seems like it's the comics that come after secret wars chronologically that are the good jumping on points but some of those comics are being released during the secret wars event just to make things more confusing to anyone outside the bubble. It's titles like All New All Different Avengers and A-Force that I think are meant to be the easier jumping on points.

Ok I read them. It's way interesting but did everyone forget how things used to be outside of Thanos and the people with him? Still not sure on that

The entire Multiverse is changed, everyone knows the Universe as having always been this way (In the beginning, Doom created existence!).

In the lead up to Secret Wars, two sets of people - Reed Richards, The Illuminati and some other heroes - and The Cabal - Namor, Thanos and a few other villains - all escaped inside a Life Raft each, so now they exist outside of this Multiverse and thus, are probably the only hope to setting things right.

Doom and Strange probably have a recollection of past events as well.

I will also recommend to anyone reading Secret Wars to read most of a Hickman's Marvel run (F4/FF, Ultimates, A/NA). It's nice to read recaps and such but man Secret Wars is ten times better to me having read those beforehand.

Also I can not wait for Maker Reed and God Doom to meet.

Edited by Rudo

I relatively followed the regular Marvel universe so I wasn't too lost there.

But man, seeing Ultimate Reed Richards being called the Maker, hooked up to that machine, referenced as being thousands of years old. I have to say, I was and still am a biiiiit lost.

It was revealed that Ultimate Reed doesn't age and his body doesn't function like others do, he doesn't need to eat or drink. Reed set up a Dome that allowed time to pass at a faster rate, meaning he's lived over 1000 years. You should definitely check out his run as The Maker, he's one of the greatest villains of the modern era of Marvel.

Time for another hilarious Wolverine screenshot. I found this while reading Astonishing X-Men

6cX5GAw.jpg

It was revealed that Ultimate Reed doesn't age and his body doesn't function like others do, he doesn't need to eat or drink. Reed set up a Dome that allowed time to pass at a faster rate, meaning he's lived over 1000 years. You should definitely check out his run as The Maker, he's one of the greatest villains of the modern era of Marvel.

That's wild. Once I get caught up on the Hickman Avenger stuff I'll get into that.

So I started on that, by the way and I feel a little bit in over my head but I'll just power through this one as the only thing that strikes me as off from the start is them stating that Cyclops had gone bad.

So with this starting in 2012 - is this just after the Skrull Invasion?

I got a lot of older X-Men reading done while my net was down. Armor might be my favorite X-Man now. She needs to be in more things.

I'm reading some 80's Green Arrow and Jesus, Ollie gets into some real shit real fast. Two of the first 3 stories are Ollie trying to pin down a serial child abductor and Ollie dealing with gay bashing.

• Like 1

I really, really like reading stuff that was printed on newsprint.

Something I just realized. This GA run I'm reading? I actually have two print issues from it in a stack of old comics I was given. I really enjoy these. I think I'm gonna from and hang the physical copies I have.

Edited by Kirkland