What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Smokin' Aces - 7/10

Stop what you are doing, get off of your ass, and go watch this. Now. The movie's just fun, and really, it wasn't trying to be anything besides that. My biggest complain is both what I believe to be a shitty ending (or, well, a shitty twist) and the fact that the movie is over way too soon. Regardless, stop reading now, go watch this, the first hour and 20 minutes are fucking fantastic.

The Devil's Backbone (El espinazo del diablo) - 7/10

A great movie but, at the end of the day, a victim of it's hype, as people had been talking about this being "one of the scariest movies ever!" and what not. Unfortunately, there's really only one scene that creeped me out. Fortunately, the film is great, even if it isn't all horror, and shares many similar themes/plot devices to Pan's Labyrinth, Guillermo del Toro's newest film.

Pan's Labyrinth (El laberinto del fauno) - 8/10

A sequel in spirit to The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth is one of the best films of last year, one which combines fantasy, great characters, a dreadful war and a lot of emotion. It's much like The Devil's Backbone in that respect, in that the focus isn't solely on the 'selling point' of the movie (in The Devil's Backbone, the selling point would be the ghost story, while here, the fairy tale would be it). However, I think that's the thing I liked the least about the film, there simply wasn't enough 'fantasy' in it to really satisfy what I was looking for. Once again, a victim of it's own hype. Oh, and throw in an uncharacteristically, but cliched ending, and yeah.

Smallville - "Crimson" - 7.5/10

I hate when they bring out the red kryptonite usually, but this episode was surprisingly very good. Smallville has gotten great, and it started with them killing Jason Teague two years ago. That guy was a fucking cancer, and pairing Lex with Lana just makes Clark's who deal seem more interesting. Just a shame we obviously can never get a full on Lois and Clark relationship on this show. Instead of Welling and Durance we have to settle for Brandon Routh and the skeletor. Oh, and I didn't watch it today, but "Labyrinth" from last week was awesome (8.5/10), and one of the best episodes of the show so far.

Digimon: The Movie

Sure, Pokemon may have had a much better card game and video games, but Digimon was always the superior anime (well with the exception of Season 4). It's still an anime I watch to this day and still enjoy. The movies far from perfect though. I do like the new animation, it fits the movie well. I don't care too much for the soundtrack though, too "American-ized" to my liking. I would have preferred at least 1 Japanese song in there. And the remix of the Digimon theme song is brutal, and just hard to listen to. The film's split into 3 segments. The first one is an epilogue to the series, and is enjoyable (7/10). The second segment takes place after season 1, and before 2, and is the best part of the movi (8/10). The thirs segment takes place somewhere during season 2, and is the weakest part of the movie (6/10). Overall, it's a pretty good movie (a lot better than any Pokemon film), but isn't as great as the anime.

7/10

It's been like a week since I saw it, but...

Smokin' Aces: 7.5/10

It's a great movie made for just having fun like others said. I wasn't expecting a brilliant masterpiece, but I got a good, fun movie. Piven was brilliant as usual and the big screen debuts of Common and Alicia Keyes weren't too bad. Well, ok, Keyes wasn't that good, but she was hot in the movie. Jason Bateman was hilarious and Ryan Reynolds did a great job in his role as well. I expected him to have a smaller part in the movie than he did so that was also a pleasant surprise.

Boogie Nights: 9/10

Outsanding Ensemble Cast with a great director. Alfred Molina's scene is also a highlight of the film. Moreseo than the final shot of the film.

The Messangers: 4/10

Nothing I haven't seen before. It's the usual PG-13 standard fare- which includes bad acting from most of the cast, a horrible story, and hardly scary at all. More comedic than scary....especially the scenes at the end.

Edited by Laice07

The Marine - 7/10- I figured the movie would suck but I was surprised that it was actually a pretty good movie.

Idiocracy - 9/10 - One of the funniest films I've seen in a while , I can't believe this wasn't advertised that much.

Facing The Giants - 10/10 - I loved this movie. Had me crying my eyes out at a few parts though. if you liked Remember The Titans , Friday Night Lights and etc you should really check out this film

The-chronicles-of-narnia-poster.jpg

Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe - 7/10

I like this film, though I've noticed the child actors seem horribly shite at the start, but get progressively better. I'm also happy to find out that Prince Caspian is also being done as a film. Time to reread the whole series methinks.

Just rented out a movie from the rental shop down the road, i picked up a movie called "Kenny", a movie about a plumber and his daily life. Simple really. I wasn't expecting much but in the end it turned out to be one of my favourite movies of the last 5 years.

Kenny is such a great character. For the first 30 minutes your just crying with laughter and then it slows down a little from there. Usually this would be a bad thing for a comedy movie but this is where you get to know Kenny a bit more, you get the feeling that he is a really nice guy, he meet's new people and tries to spend time with his son. Kenny's son is actually his son in real life and you could tell because they just felt like a real family. I also ended up crying a bit throughout the movie because it seems a lot of bad things happen to him, and because his such a genuinely nice guy you feel sorry for him and in my case i ended up crying a bit when he lost his son at the Melbourne Cup, then when he found him he gave him a hug. Hillarious and a pleasure to watch from start to finish.

9.5 out of 10

Guest Rabid Wolveringo

The Science of Sleep 4/10.

Ew. Poorly acted, not nearly as cool as Eternal Sunshine and just irritatingly bad. The only good thing about the movie is Alain Chabat, and I don't think his brand of humour translates well when it's subtitled.

Ew. Poorly acted, not nearly as cool as Eternal Sunshine and just irritatingly bad. The only good thing about the movie is Alain Chabat, and I don't think his brand of humour translates well when it's subtitled.

Alfred Hitchcock's Blackmail (1929)

Better than what I was expecting. The first 7/8 minutes start off silent, but then it goes into full audio, and is Hitchcock's first dialogue film. The plot is very simple, the film should almost be boring. But Hitchcock had a way of making the the most simpilistic plotlines into engaging films. The acting is pretty good, Anny Andra was superb in my opinion.

8/10

Hannibal Rising: 5/10

Kind of boring, and I didn't really like the young hannibal, but their were some good scenes-like the kills, and beginning portion. I would recommend to just watch Silence of The Lambs.

Garage Days - 5/10

Perhaps the oddest choice Alex Proyas could have made for a new movie after directing The Crow and Dark City was to go for comedy. But that was exactly the choice he made for the 2002 film Garage Days. Unfortunately, while his keen visual sense is apparent throughout the film, there's nothing else that really stands out about the movie. The plotline is mostly of a been-there manner and the comedy yields maybe a few laughs. The cast has their charms, but they seem dispensible. The film just doesn't have the audience gripped towards the characters like in his other movies, mainly because there's no real sense of redemption. While the style-over-substance argument could apply to all of Proyas's films, at least in the other ones, the dark themes serve to make the audience naturally go for the hero. Here, however, it's mostly a stylized sitcom stretched to feature-length, and it doesn't really work.

:(

Some girl was recommending me to see that. Was Bernal even any good in it?

A Wicked Tale

Question: What's worse than pretentious art films?

Pretentious Singaporean art films.

I have no idea what this is doing on my DVD shelf, but being bored and curious, I decided to give it a watch.

Predictably enough, it sucks balls.

The acting rivals Engrish Dubbed Chinese Movies (and even worse, it's *not* intentional), the script makes Be's writing look like James Joyce, with absolutely no flow, structure or theme to the entire movie. Of course, it wouldn't be complete without black and white shots, random cuts, random quick cuts, poor lighting, grainy images, silly music, spooky imagery, and of course, cock shots that are all poorly executed and irrelevant, but who cares because it's all COOL, ARTY AND EDGY. How the hell this won praise at international film festivals is beyond me.

To sum it up: This is what you would probably get if somebody gave a horny sirdavinator a video camera and told him to film something, except worse.

0/10