Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Siam is fucking awesome. I actually feel like I underrated them in Civilizabermetrics because my first Siam game was just so shitty. I can imagine they're hard if you're on the map with Alex or Enrico or Maria or anybody else who'll fuck with city-statrix, but they're so good.

Shame you can only build kasbah's on desert, though. I was not amused at my situation early on, being blocked in by mountains and two city states, with immediate neighbors to my west. I said screw it and built three cities (including an exceptional site for Petra); couldn't build caravans, so I just stuck with it until I found that island with some nice resources.

I did all of this without coal or airports, bonus points. Trying to think of who I want to give a whirl next, maybe Rome or Greece and go for a diplomatic victory.

Going back to what someone was saying in the thread earlier: yeah, the Celts can be absolutely *awful* if you get a bad start. In the game that Ticklez, Mrs. TKz, TEOL and ADG were playing (/ still are), I got dropped on an island by myself, with only a city state right in the bottom left of the map (on a seperate island), with no gold and a load of jungle. There was legitimately nothing I could do other than fight off Barbarians, which meant that TKz blitzed past me in terms of religion, which was the only thing I could do really as a game strategy, because my production is terrible.

The only use I could see for the Celts was if I decided to play a game and use religion heavily. However, there are much better Civs for that route, and really anybody playing their cards right can do that.

That early religion lead can really help you, but you don't see many of the benefits until later in the game. It's really best for nabbing Tithe as quick as possible, but there's other ways to get more money and playing the Celts probably means you're going for Stonehenge instead of Great Library. Which is a way better get early on.

Not that it helped TEOL that much really. :pervert:

Yeah; the way I play (Tall, generally end up with about four cities), my idea is to just start shitting out wonders in the capital (including Stonehenge), which more or less ends the game right there.

I'm debating Rome or China. 25% Production Bonus is nice, but so are Paper Makers. Not to mention extra Generals where I can be a dick and yoink territory away.

Apparently my laptop can no longer handle ANY game of Civ V. This angers me.

Oh it starts the game fine. It even plays the game fine...until about 20 minutes in, when the screen turns black without warning and nothing can be done about it besides turning the whole thing off and on again. It's only recently started doing this so I suspected it might be some sign of the machine aging e.g. being more prone to overheating issues...but it isn't really hot at all when it happens, and it handles EUIV and so on without any complaint at all.

I can still play Civ V on my desktop (hooked up to the TV), but this is inconvenient for so many reasons, e.g. Stokerina wanting the TV, me wanting to play games in bed, and so on.

Rarr.