General Football Thread

Starvinho

Huh. I wasn't ever a massive fan or anything but it's weird, I kind of always expected he'd win a world cup at some point. Surely he's got another tournament in him?

1 hour ago, Executive Kaney said:

Huh. I wasn't ever a massive fan or anything but it's weird, I kind of always expected he'd win a world cup at some point. Surely he's got another tournament in him?

These things aren't always set in stone. Zidane retired in 2004, came back for 2006, headbutted a dude, then retired again.

I was looking up what player has been capped the most and it turns out it is some geezer called Ahmed Hassan of Egypt with 184. 184! Fuck me. Then I look at the list of women... 352. 352! International caps! Kristine Lilly of the USA. Fucking hell. Not even a goalie, she was midfield. 

1 hour ago, MDK said:

I was looking up what player has been capped the most and it turns out it is some geezer called Ahmed Hassan of Egypt with 184. 184! Fuck me. Then I look at the list of women... 352. 352! International caps! Kristine Lilly of the USA. Fucking hell. Not even a goalie, she was midfield. 

I wonder if Buffon will pass him. He's got 23 caps to go and one more World Cup to play for!

39 minutes ago, Moses Julep said:

I wonder if Buffon will pass him. He's got 23 caps to go and one more World Cup to play for!

Maybe? Who knows. Maldini and Zoff played for donkeys years. I hope so. Fucking hell, he's been in the Italy squad since '97.

• Like 3

Question for people, does the lack of international success for Messi (only the 2008 Olympics to his name) and Ronaldo (Euro 2016) mean that even though they're clearly the very best players in the world currently, they're not as good as the likes of Pele etc, who were very successful internationally and domestically?

32 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Question for people, does the lack of international success for Messi (only the 2008 Olympics to his name) and Ronaldo (Euro 2016) mean that even though they're clearly the very best players in the world currently, they're not as good as the likes of Pele etc, who were very successful internationally and domestically?

No, not at all. It is not something a player can help, his birthplace. Unfair to punish someone like George Weah for being born in a very poor African nation and 'reward' someone like Xavi being born in a wealthy Western nation like that just because of their origins.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I find it hard to compare players from different eras. I reckon most average international teams would do well playing great teams of the past purely down to fitness.

11 minutes ago, MDK said:

I find it hard to compare players from different eras. I reckon most average international teams would do well playing great teams of the past purely down to fitness.

I definitely feel like a modern international side would have that kind of advantage, and in terms of pitch quality, ball quality, kit etc etc I think they'd have an edge.

Imagine a Pele or a Stanley Matthews playing in the modern era though. Would be immense.

3 hours ago, 9 to 5 said:

No, not at all. It is not something a player can help, his birthplace. Unfair to punish someone like George Weah for being born in a very poor African nation and 'reward' someone like Xavi being born in a wealthy Western nation like that just because of their origins.

George Weah was ace. Basically the reason I used to get up and watch Football Italia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Benji said:

George Weah was ace. Basically the reason I used to get up and watch Football Italia.

For me it Giuseppe Signori. And to find out what flavour gelato James Richardson was eating.

• Like 3

So I just picked Sky Sports package back up again yesterday and figured I'd try and get my money's worth, so rather than just watching Leicester games and maybe WWE - can anyone suggest me any good shows on it for football? Looking for maybe something of a summary show for Europe and/or lower leagues, preferably not longer than an hour a week.