The USMNT Thread

HailtotheYo

JurgenKlinsmann.jpg?1311990458

The era of the Golden Bomber is under way and it opens with a friendly against Mexico. As good a time as any to make a USMNT thread. I know 4/5 of us will have fun in here.

Initial squad named by Klinsmann was light due to the Euro seasons starting but has a good MLS presence. Agudelo/Robbie Rogers/Brek Shea/Donovan looked very good together. If not for a fantastic point blank save by Ochoa off a corner, Agudelo would have put one in right away. Donovan had a fantastic match. I still maintain my "fuck Ricardo Clark" stance for the time being.

Horrid yellow call on the Rogers take down. It was a straight red. But, the ref had been pretty easy all night though, not calling 3/4 things earlier that could have been penalties and FKs on the edge of the box.

1-1 with Mexico for the first time out with 10 days on the job and a limited squad ? I'll take it.

• 4 weeks later...

USA are looking really promising against Costa Rica right now. Finishing isn't quite there but I love the aggressive attacking play.

EDIT: Augh, this is going horribly awry.

EDIT II: Yeah, okay, we need to put in a shit-ton of work.

Meh, the first 30 were fantastic.

I'm not worried about results in terms of W/L for a full year. They don't matter. The mentality and style of play is what is important right now. I think that's ultimately why they waited until after the GC this year to make the move. He's got two full years really, to get things in gear. I'm liking the changes he's making and the prospects going forward. Hell, if LD finishes that chance in the first 5 minutes we're looking at a MUCH different result.

It doesn't help that we're mired in a rut against Costa Rica right now as well.

• 1 month later...

Tremendous goal from Dempsey in the first half. Our passing is really ugly a lot of the time and our defense is waaaay too unnecessary-foul happy and now that the ref is actually carding people that needs to stop. Still, I'll take actually being in the lead for the first time during the the Klinsmann era as a start.

Overall good match for us. Williams looked really good, Chandler did as well. Shea was phenomenal and if not for a 1 in 100 whiff he'd have slotted home a second.

The waive off of Dempsey's second goal was meh at best. He'd already jumped and had already won the air battle, the hands were of no consequence but it didn't cost us though.

• 4 months later...

Friendly or not, that was HUGE ... and there were only a couple of guys missing from that Italian squad. Oh wait, there were a couple missing from our as well.

Fanfuckingtastic result.

That was more of an experimental side for Italy in places.

A tad harsh on them too losing that one, but a very good result for the US.

Friendly or not, that was HUGE ... and there were only a couple of guys missing from that Italian squad. Oh wait, there were a couple missing from our as well.

Fanfuckingtastic result.

That was more of an experimental side for Italy in places.

A tad harsh on them too losing that one, but a very good result for the US.

Have you not paid attention to the first 10 matches under our savior ?

Gianluigi Buffon; Christian Maggio [Daniele De Rossi 71], Andrea Barzagli, Angelo Ogbonna, Domenico Criscito [Giorgio Chiellini 45]; Nocerino [Riccardo Montolivo 45], Andrea Pirlo, Claudio Marchisio [ignazio Abate 72]; Thiago Motta [Giampaolo Pazzini 59]; Sebastian Giovinco, Alessandro Matri [Fabio Borini 59] Subs not used: Federico Balzaretti, Salvatore Sirigu, Morgan De Sanctis, Davide Astori, Emiliano Viviano

Tim Howard; Steve Cherundolo, Clarence Goodson, Carlos Bocanegra, Fabiam Johnson [Jonathan Spector 73], Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Danny Williams, Clint Dempsey [Edson Buddle 90], Brek Shea [sacha Kljestan 73], Jozy Altidore [Terrence Boyd 79] Subs not used: Nick Rimando, Jeff Cameron, Michael Parkhurst

There's every bit the dab of experimentation in the US squad.