The USMNT Thread

HailtotheYo

Simpson broke his leg a few weeks back. Ledgerwood wasn't completely horrible in his absence.

That would make it hard to get around.

--- watching the replay, Castillo looked damn good (not even talking about that brilliant volley).

World Cup qualifying starts today. US are playing Antigua and Barbuda at home, so this should hopefully be an easy three points before the hardest match of this group, vs. Guatemala away on Tuesday. Only problem for today is that left-back just got ugly; Fabian Johnson got a minor injury on Sunday and now Edgar Castillo has gotten a minor injury in training, and it looks like Jose Francisco Torres of all people is filling that spot. Could be a 3-5-3, though.

US Starting XI is as follows, as per twitter;

Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra (capt.), Torres; Edu, Bradley, Jones; Donovan, Dempsey, Gomez

Guest mr. potato head

Canada downed Cuba 1-0 despite Lars Hirschfield getting sent off in the first half. Good sign. Honduras/Panama/Cuba is pretty much the easiest group we could have asked for, so hopefully we can ride into the third round with some momentum.

We can use this as a general CONCACAF thread right? :shifty:

Yeah, I was wondering if I should post somewhere about Canada beating Cuba. Happy to see that result, I definitely want Canada to make it into the finals. Pretty sure it's going to be Canada vs. Honduras vs. Panama vs. Guatemala for the non-US and Mexico spots.

Not too impressed with the USA so far. Far too wasteful in the box, always looking for the perfect touch instead of just shooting. You're playing against minnows, in the rain. Shoot the damn ball! The fact that their two goals came from dead ball situations says a lot. They need to be doing more in front of goal.

Agreed. A&B are bunkering a lot, but the US' finishing has been wasteful all the same. Makes Guatemala a little worrying.

EDIT: Oh son of a bitch, not Torres :(

• Admin

Gooch can't be in the starting XI against Guatemala. He was atrocious.

I like what I saw from Herculez tonight, the front seven was just clicking with him in there.

Oh and Boyd is officially an American!!!

Noted goal-scoring legend Kris Boyd? :w00t:!!!!!

Gooch can't be in the starting XI against Guatemala. He was atrocious.

I like what I saw from Herculez tonight, the front seven was just clicking with him in there.

Oh and Boyd is officially an American!!!

Noted goal-scoring legend Kris Boyd? :w00t:!!!!!

Noted German-American Terrence Boyd.

Though Kris Boyd does play for Portland Timbers so he's almost American.

Easily best thing of the night: Boyd is American.

Gooch did look bad ... which is odd considering his season with SCP. He's looking to be depth only at this point. Torres going down only makes it worse.

Final Group Phase should end up US/Jamaica - Mexico/CR - Honduras/Panama ... although I can see Canada sneaking in from group C or El Salvador sneaking in from group B. I'd be shocked if Guatemala can get out of Group A though.

Guest mr. potato head

DeRo misses a strong chance for Canada early on. If we can pick up a win here we'll be in really good shape going forward.

Guest mr. potato head

Canada/Honduras finishes in a 0-0 draw despite a surprising amount of chances for Canada and typical incompetent CONCACAF reffing. OK result on the surface but we easily could have got a better result with a bit of luck.

Disappointing that DeRo seems to be underperforming for Canada thusfar. Would have loved to see Canada get three points over Honduras.

US/Guatemala starts in twenty-minutes. Starting XI is the same as for A&B (who drew 0-0 against Jamaica, so they continue to do better than expected) except, thank fuck, Fabian Johnson is starting left-back. This will cap-tie him to the USA as well, which is a huge get for us; he has the potential to be our starter in that position for a good while.

EDIT: Currently 1-0 in the US' favor at the half. Guatemala playing relentlessly dirty all match, but Clint Dempsey managed to hop over two tackle attempts in rapid succession and slot the first goal in.

• 3 weeks later...