The USMNT Thread

HailtotheYo

• 2 weeks later...

This is kind of a big deal: Copa America '16 coming to the US

Highlights:

10 CONMEBOL/6 CONCACAF teams.

US/Mexico are in automatically.

4 more CONCACAF teams will get in depending on their placement at the Gold Cup.

This has the potential to be monstrous. People over here have been clamoring for an equivalent to the Euros. Well, here you go. Also, it's scheduled for July ... that corresponds with the end of the Euros ... and then the Olympics kick off on Aug 5th. That would be a true "summer of soccer" and probably the best thing ever.

Weird how South America has much larger footballing countries, yet it's their tournament that gets expanded.

How is it weird? There are literally ten national teams in their confederation.

It's also the 100th anniversary of CONMEBOL and the tournament will be the centerpiece of that celebration (dubbed Copa America Centenario) and getting as much exposure, eyes on, etc is the smartest thing they can do. Yes, we have the Gold Cup but it's rarely more than a 2 horse race and only two countries bring anything to it off the field.

A true American Cup would be a game changer really.

• 3 weeks later...

Roster for friendly against Russia:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (6): Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nuremberg), Maurice Edu (Stoke City), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Michael Bradley (Roma), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Joshua Gatt (Molde), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (Chivas USA), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna)

MIX, TIMMAAYYY, GATT :w00t:

BRADLEY !!!!!!! :w00t: :w00t: Tremendous volley there ! Agudelo has come on in the 2nd and really helped turn the tempo around. Bradley pushing forward to the attack more has been a huge help as well. Also, Howard has kept this game in reach with some great saves, as usual.

Russia dominated the first half and looked stronger in the 2nd up until about 65 minutes or so. Hope we can snag a 2nd as the tide is turning ...

Jozy Altidore has been a hot mess aside from one chance created. SHOCK.

Goodson, yeah. It would be nice to get Omar Gonzalez in the rotation starting January.

EDIT: We do not deserve that draw, but I'll take it. I'd say this match was a learning experience but Klinsmann started three d-mids again so I'm not convinced he's learned anything.

Jozy Altidore has been a hot mess aside from one chance created. SHOCK.

He actually wasn't that bad today. He made good runs, held up the ball, even did some movement/ball work on the wing and got crosses in to other players.

Much of what he did good was wasted on the absolute shit play by the midfield and giving away of the ball by half the squad in the first half. Yeah, he had some bad touches but we all know that isn't his strength. Every single striker we have has that issue. NOBODY made any real chances until the last 25m of the match anyway <_<

EDIT: We do not deserve that draw, but I'll take it. I'd say this match was a learning experience but Klinsmann started three d-mids again so I'm not convinced he's learned anything.

Absolutely, I'll take it although it isn't deserved at all. I loved the life injected by Dix, Agudelo, Boyd though.

I actually think Bradley should be a CAM in our set up since we have Jones and Williams.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...