The USMNT Thread

HailtotheYo

Huge point. Gonzalez, Beasler, and Beasley all were excellent. And Graham Zusi was phenomenal too defensively.

Disagree with Beasley being excellent on the whole. He alternated between being excellent and terrible, though in the second half he picked it up huge. All the props in the world for taking a beating and keeping on going.

Just bought my ticket for the World Cup Qualifier at the CLink. I'll be spending it amongst the American Outlaws (H)

Good man sir.

HOLY FUCKING AWESOMESAUCE !

That was enormous, not just for us but for the Mexican squad as well. Let's look at the table:

Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
22px-Flag_of_Panama.svg.pngPanama 3 1 2 0 5 3 +2 5
22px-Flag_of_Costa_Rica.svg.pngCosta Rica 3 1 1 1 4 3 +1 4
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngUnited States 3 1 1 1 2 2 0 4
22px-Flag_of_Honduras.svg.pngHonduras 3 1 1 1 4 5 −1 4
22px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.pngMexico 3 0 3 0 2 2 0 3
22px-Flag_of_Jamaica.svg.pngJamaica 3 0 2 1 1 3 −2 2

We pretty much erased the points we dropped in Honduras, as we NEVER get points in Mexico (this was the second point ever). That's a wash. Great for us because we've already made the two worst (historically) road trips we have. Mexico has already dropped 4 points at home. Things are bad for them at the moment.

Besler was enormous last night, and Gonzo finally played to his potential. HOLY CRAP did Zusi work like a maniac, and yeah despite the brainfarts Beasley put in a hell of a shift at LB. Even though he was isolated and there was no connection from the midfield (Bradley stayed the course and held atop the backline) Altidore actually played well and managed to be effective when he did have the ball (that pass to Bradley at the top of the box was great) and held it well. Johnson should have been starting with Altidore coming off the bench though. This was always going to be a counter-attack match. We had no shot of establishing real threats with a hold up striker. Hell, Dempsey had the worst performance last night.

Oh, and GUZAN IS PHENOMENAL ! I've been wanting this man to take over for a while now ... and while I love Howard, .... I'm a Guzan man.

I'm very encouraged by this result. Hell, 11 players weren't available last night which included Donovan and Jones.

Awesome match for us.

And yes, that jersey is beautiful.

• 1 month later...

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-national-team/2013/05/hes-on-his-way-back.aspx .... STEWIE !!!!!! :wub:

And this Szumi, is exactly why I think the Gold Cup means something even in WC cycles. There are a handful of guys in our pool like Holden that have an opportunity in the GC to either get back to fitness with the USMNT, or get solid looks in competitive/meaningful international play ahead of the WC without having to take a shot on them in a Qualifier.

I don't really care, tbh. Hope he gets healthy for later in the year because I do think he's a starting-quality fullback going forward, but we've gotten points without him and he wasn't really any good vs. Honduras.

At the moment he's got the most potential going forward. This summer would have been huge for him. He's come back down to earth certainly, but he's shown the biggest upside out of anyone at FB in the last 18 months.

Guess the Gold Cup is pretty useful during WCQ summers after all.

OH, and AZ isn't releasing Jozy until 4 days before the June 7th qualifier against Jamaica ... at the earliest.

Yeah, the AZ situation is exasperating. Really hoping Altidore moves on this summer.

I do think Chandler getting a run in Gold Cup if he misses the WCQs would be really good for him, and I don't think that's outside the realm of possibility yet.

Doyle has a pretty good guess at the Gold Cup roster: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/08/armchair-analyst-its-two-months-until-gold-cup-starts-so-what-does-roster-lo

From the article:

Here are the guys who still need to be cap-tied, along with the other country(ies) in the running: John (Greece), Brooks (Germany), Okugo (Nigeria), Diskerud (Norway), Morales (Germany, Peru), Jóhannsson (Iceland), Villarreal (Mexico).

Brooks has to be called in and cap-tied NOW. We need to bring in Diskerud as well. I'd like to see John but I don't really think Greece is going to win the battle in the long run. John would already be capped if not for West Ham's fiasco and the subsequent injury. Morales has played in a friendly for us but Peru is pushing hard at the moment. I'm on the fence about him.

For the WCQ in June and the Belgium/Germany friendlies:

GOALKEEPERS (6): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa/England), Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton/England), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla/Mexico), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/England), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana/Mexico), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (Brondby/Denmark), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim/Germany), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg/Germany)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Michael Bradley (Roma/Italy), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana/Mexico), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor/Turkey), Stuart Holden (Bolton/England), Jermaine Jones (Schalke/Germany), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht/Belgium), Brek Shea (Stoke City/England), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim/Germany), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar/Netherlands), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna/Austria), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur/England), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna/Mexico), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC)

- 9 MLS guys, and that's with Donovan out.

I actually like this roster quite a bit. Great diversity and options ... AND STEWIE !!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

So after looking like ass clowns against Belgium we run Germany off the pitch before giving them two late scores ...

Jozy Altidore looked fantastic. Bradley is the absolute key to our midfield. Gonzo and Besler are our CB's ... and holy shit Brad Evans did a great job at RB.