The USMNT Thread

HailtotheYo

Looks like 3 cities are in the running to host the Costa Rica match, with two of them at higher altitude with the Mexico match looming a few days after.

Rio Tinto in Utah, Dick's in Colorado, and Livestrong in KC are the front runners. While I love Livestrong, I think it'd be smart to put the match in either Dick's or Rio Tinto.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/02/04/klinsmann-calls-24-players-camp-wcq-honduras

Roster released for the Honduras qualifier. 7 MLS guys but no Beckerman, Feilhaber, or Wondolowski ... and Donovan is still taking time off as well.

Biggest news ? Kljestan has been called in as well as TIMMMMMMAY Chandler ! We might finally get him cap-tied which would be glorious to have that RB spot nailed down finally, especially with a guy that can provide support and do damage going forward.

also ... Guzan !

not super excited about Brad Evans or Jose Torres getting caled up. Gomez needs to go soon if he can't perform.

Not sure why you're calling out Gomez when he was better in the qualification cycle than Jozy Altidore.

Evans is there to be the third-string right back and a guy who can be called on to play four different positions in case of disaster.

USMNT starting XI vs. Honduras;

Howard ©; Chandler, Gonzalez, Cameron, F. Johnson; Williams, Jones, Bradley, E. Johnson; Dempsey, Altidore

Mostly what I expected, with the one major exception being that Omar Gonzalez is starting. That is huge for him. I was sure it'd be Bocanegra.

I also think it's a statement of intent; with Gonzalez and EJ on the pitch the US is probably going to try to utilize height and win headers/go for setpiece goals. It's a pity Zusi can't be on the pitch at the same time but I get the intent of the Bradley/Williams/Jones midfield three. Hopefully it pans out where sometimes it hasn't.

CLINT DEMPSEY SCORES

The US' strategy is pretty much to try and wear Honduras out by making them run, absorb the pressure, and nail the counter. It's working thusfar but Honduras is good and their chances are getting better-calibrated the longer the game goes.

EDIT: Jesus, what a goal from Honduras to equalize.

Omar wasn't as bad as Cameron. Cameron was fucking dire. Michael Bradley and Timmy Chandler both really sucked too. Dempsey scored a good goal but just came off 90 minutes vs. West Brom three days ago.

Hilariously, Eddie Johnson and Jermaine Jones, the two most common targets of criticism for the US, were the best players on the pitch for the US today outside of Howard at goal. When both were gone with half an hour to go I realized that this was going to get bad.

I could see this result coming, it's 32⁰C+ in San Pedro Sula, probably even hotter at the time of day they were playing. SPS is extremely humid too, I'd probably pass out after about 10 minutes playing football there. So it was probably a case of needing more practice in environments like this. Honduras weren't great, but just edged it due to the USA getting burned out.

It seemed to me that Cameron has quickly become accustomed to playing with experienced players in the back. On the 2nd goal he looked over his should with a "wtf are you serious" look on his face when Omar was flailing. I mean, he stood still for a second and watched the play. He wasn't even on auto-pilot mode or anything. Many of Cameron's mistakes today (again, to me) seemed to be out of him making a play or trying too because he's used to having the other central defender where they're supposed to be ... which Omar was not.

I really didn't even expect anything out of Chandler ... he's going to take some time to gel now that he's committed. Zusi was horrid on the first touch today as well.

Yeah, absolutely. I honestly went into this one expecting to lose and hoping for a draw. If we hadn't given away the corner that led to the goal too easy it probably would have been one. Honduras is one of the three best teams in this group, had a lot of their players playing together in competitive matches leading up, and had the environment on their side. This is a game that the US could afford to drop, though obviously I didn't want them to.

My two big complains with this match are the CBs and the substitutions.

He wasn't even on auto-pilot mode or anything. Many of Cameron's mistakes today (again, to me) seemed to be out of him making a play or trying too because he's used to having the other central defender where they're supposed to be ... which Omar was not.

Which is still Cameron's fault. Omar Gonzalez is a really good CB but he's in preseason form, in his first-ever cap in a competitive match, against a very good team in their home turf. It's on Cameron to step up and take responsibility.