The USMNT Thread

HailtotheYo

You shouldn't have done that to yourself.

At this point I would like Kyle Beckerman to go the way of Oguchi Onyewu. I don't think there's a single game he's played for the US where I've been like "yeah this was a good idea." Jermaine Jones was the actual worst last night but he's had better games.

You shouldn't have done that to yourself.

At this point I would like Kyle Beckerman to go the way of Oguchi Onyewu. I don't think there's a single game he's played for the US where I've been like "yeah this was a good idea." Jermaine Jones was the actual worst last night but he's had better games.

Jones is going to flop every 4th/5th match. Done it his whole career and since he officially joined the team. Not worried about that. Expect it actually.

Beckerman actually played really well against Mexico. He's had a few matches but his "down" games are too much for us to absorb. Clearly Bradley being gone is too huge right now. He needs to pair with either Jones or Edu in the midfield to provide the right balance.

And yes, I shouldn't have done that to myself. Holy hell it was just ugly. I didn't even get mad at any point ... it was too dumb to get worked up over.

Anyone else watching the home match vs Jamaica?

We're doing marvelous in passing and possession but missing goals by inches. We should be 2 or 3 up by now.

I really don't like how we've been in cruise control since the goal.

Oh hey look, that Jozy Altidore guy IS still on the team ...

He's on great form in the Dutch league for what it's worth. :shifty:

Which is exactly why nobody here understands why in the blue hell he's not getting time ... yeah, Herc is playing wonderfully .... but uh, there's another forward slot and Dempsey wasn't up too fitness. Down in Jamaica he played Jozy, in the middle of a 3FWD set, which isn't a very bright way to use him.

Very frustrating. Dempsey is more a CF/wide player that likes to cut in. Have him underneath Gomez and Altidore (where Jermaine Jones played tonight under Gomez and Dempsey). Jones is much better playing more defensively with runs forward, not already forward. Sure, Williams has looked very good at DM but he still needs more experience. With Torres and Zusi (and of course Donovan when healthy) there's no reason to toss Jones up the pitch. Leave him back with Williams and help kid. Hell, when Bradley is available again we're suddenly going to have a very strong midfield.

Oh hey look, that Jozy Altidore guy IS still on the team ...

He's on great form in the Dutch league for what it's worth. :shifty:

Which is exactly why nobody here understands why in the blue hell he's not getting time ... yeah, Herc is playing wonderfully .... but uh, there's another forward slot and Dempsey wasn't up too fitness. Down in Jamaica he played Jozy, in the middle of a 3FWD set, which isn't a very bright way to use him.

Very frustrating. Dempsey is more a CF/wide player that likes to cut in. Have him underneath Gomez and Altidore (where Jermaine Jones played tonight under Gomez and Dempsey). Jones is much better playing more defensively with runs forward, not already forward. Sure, Williams has looked very good at DM but he still needs more experience. With Torres and Zusi (and of course Donovan when healthy) there's no reason to toss Jones up the pitch. Leave him back with Williams and help kid. Hell, when Bradley is available again we're suddenly going to have a very strong midfield.

Ah, didn't see the game, I just misunderstood the comment, thought you meant he was still on the team when he shouldn't be, my bad.

Which is exactly why nobody here understands why in the blue hell he's not getting time

He's gotten time. He started on Friday and was completely useless. He came in last night and was 90% useless. I don't know if it's tactical or if it's the teammates or what but the Jozy Altidore who plays for AZ is not as good as the Jozy Altidore who plays for the US.

I mean, honestly. The only good I can remember him doing for us in the last year when he's been given time was holding the ball up for Dempsey in the Italy game.

Which is exactly why nobody here understands why in the blue hell he's not getting time

He's gotten time. He started on Friday and was completely useless. He came in last night and was 90% useless. I don't know if it's tactical or if it's the teammates or what but the Jozy Altidore who plays for AZ is not as good as the Jozy Altidore who plays for the US.

I mean, honestly. The only good I can remember him doing for us in the last year when he's been given time was holding the ball up for Dempsey in the Italy game.

Friday he was in the 3FWD set up that nobody plays well in for us (outside of Gomez as the spearhead but that's what he does half the time at the club level). He's a good hold up forward in a 2FWD pairing but hasn't been given that time under Uncle Jurgen. Tactically he really didn't have a chance to do all too well down in Jamaica.

Last night he got a garbage 11 minutes at a time when the entire squad was shitting the bed. Hardly a knock on him.

Oddly enough the only "good" you remember from him was one of the few times he's been given significant time in a proper set up. Why hasn't that been done more ? Jurgen is usually a guy that loves "the in form player" yet nobody has been in better for (save Dempsey) over the last few months than Altidore. Yet, he's the odd man out. I mean, it's kind of hard to do anything when you don't get more than 15-20 minutes every 3 matches. Since the Italy match, the match in Jamaica is the only time he's gone more than 20 minutes ... and it was in the exact wrong tactical set up for him.

Last night he got a garbage 11 minutes at a time when the entire squad was shitting the bed. Hardly a knock on him.

So his abysmal first touch last night was everyone else's fault?

So his abysmal first touch last night was everyone else's fault?

No, of course not.

I'm merely not going to look at that 11 minutes and expect anyone to get anything on Jozy out of it good, or bad. Yeah his touch was shit last night. Ok, he only got 4 of them and they were in the last minutes of the match when Jamaica was pressing and the US was sitting on their heels hoping the ref blew the whistle. He's not the guy to kill off a game like that (in fact, that's usually when he's subbed out of the match, not in). He didn't do any worse than Shea did (who also blew chunks last night with his touch).

That's the thing with a ST though, the touch comes and goes (minus the top, top tier of players).

Hell, you know better and you also have the perfect example right there in Seattle with EJ. You don't yank EJ or sit him because his touch is off for a match, or 11 minutes ... and that happens with EJ as much, if not more often than Jozy.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been as supportive and defensive of the Golden Bomber as one realistically can be up to this point. However, two decisions at the FW position going into this round of WCQ's has me asking a whole bunch of WTF: No Altidore, No Boyd

On top of that he's called in Alan freaking Gordon. Kljestan is back though and Edu is officially listed as a defender this go round. I do see an attempt to push with this squad though as there are several attacking midfielders and outside/wing backs in this rotation.

Seriously, bring in Jozy. He's on fire at AZ - I believe he is the league leader in goals right now! Guatemala is home, and Antigua and Barbada is the away game. I'm sorry, I don't care how hostile the crowd may be or shitty the field could be, the national team can beat them playing their desired way. But Guatemala? Americans will see possession, they're going to be able to pass on an actual field, there should be no problems playing a good style of attack. Alan Gordon has been brought in to do what Gomez does, and that's run like crazy. It's not needed! Give a chance to Altidore, especially with Donovan out. You can't say Johnson and Gordon deserve it more. They've had good MLS seasons, but then again, so has Wondoloski, and he's proven he can't hack it at the international game. The same will probably be true for them as well.

I'm just going to point to this article because it's 1000% right about Altidore. And it doesn't even factor in his childish response on Twitter to being criticized.

The Donovan/Shea call-ups were a complete and total waste of time, though, and the "we're not bringing in immediate replacements" is stupid. Just get Wondo or Boyd or something.