The Wire Appreciation Thread

How should we handle Spoilers  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be spoiler tags?

That child was Kenard. He was one of the main characters of season 4, the youngest of the crew (and the most profane). He first appeared in episode 3 of season 3, playing pretend and pretending to be Omar with some friends at a crime scene Bunk and McNulty were at.

Not only that but...

The first time you see him, like you said, he's pretending to be Omar. In a later episode, he sees Omar once he's had his leg broken and he's hobbling about, and Kenard says "that's Omar?". You see him go from hero worshipping him, to realising he's nothing special, to that. It's one of the smallest, but most perfect story arcs in the whole show.

• Like 3

Season 1, Ep 10

Oh man, the end of this was crazy and so dramatic, poor Kima. That whole bit was so well done. It was only a matter of time until something like this happened.

On a side note, absolutely love Pryzbylewski's slow change throughout the first season to half decent analyst, or whatever.

Overall, I'm so happy I'm finally watching this. The characters are so well-defined already, and it helps that no one is exactly super good, or ridiculously evil. I'm just loving the combination of the acting and the writing. I can't stop watching.

Season 1, Ep 10

Oh man, the end of this was crazy and so dramatic, poor Kima. That whole bit was so well done. It was only a matter of time until something like this happened.

On a side note, absolutely love Pryzbylewski's slow change throughout the first season to half decent analyst, or whatever.

Overall, I'm so happy I'm finally watching this. The characters are so well-defined already, and it helps that no one is exactly super good, or ridiculously evil. I'm just loving the combination of the acting and the writing. I can't stop watching.

What made it so good to me is that the actors were complete unknowns so you can just accept who they were. I started watching after the show ended and only knew of Idris Elba from his arc on "The Office," Lance Reddick from "Lost" and Wood Harris from "Remember the Titans. So it was weird for me to see a middle manager at a paper company and Julius the football players as drug kingpins. Everybody else, had a clean slate. Now, no matter what he does Michael K. Williams is going to be playing some version of Omar. Heck, even most of the roles Wood Harris has had (Justified comes to mind), he's now playing a gangster.

In hindsight, that's what I think was genius about Elba doing that run on "The Office" because that character has nothing in common with Stringer Bell.

Season 1, Ep 10

What made it so good to me is that the actors were complete unknowns so you can just accept who they were. I started watching after the show ended and only knew of Idris Elba from his arc on "The Office," Lance Reddick from "Lost" and Wood Harris from "Remember the Titans. So it was weird for me to see a middle manager at a paper company and Julius the football players as drug kingpins. Everybody else, had a clean slate. Now, no matter what he does Michael K. Williams is going to be playing some version of Omar. Heck, even most of the roles Wood Harris has had (Justified comes to mind), he's now playing a gangster.

In hindsight, that's what I think was genius about Elba doing that run on "The Office" because that character has nothing in common with Stringer Bell.

The Wire was the first time I'd ever seen Elba, so, when I saw Luther (which I really need to watch more than the first few episodes of), I was like 'WTF, Stringer Bell is British?'.

12/13

Wallace

:(

The whole finale was amazing. The ending shots of McNulty on a boat, Stringer Bell in the office, and then fuck totally marked out for Omar's whistle. I also loved it when they went in to make the case federal -- then backed away from it, but there were still consequences for everyone involved for even trying it. Just so, so good.

Very excited for Season 2, curious as to how different it is considering what everyone is saying. Wish I didn't have to go to work so I could start right now.

Season 1, Ep 10

The Wire was the first time I'd ever seen Elba, so, when I saw Luther (which I really need to watch more than the first few episodes of), I was like 'WTF, Stringer Bell is British?'.

Even though I've seen Dominic West in plenty of other things, I still find it really jarring to hear him speak in his real voice, I can't not see him as McNulty.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Season 2, Episode 6

D'Angelo!

:o Had actually seen that clip before when my housemate watched it, but I'd forgotten it was him. That was kind of unexpected, but I honestly didn't know what they were going to do with his story seeing as he was to be imprisoned for such a long time.

Also, Omar's the shit.

• Like 1

Season 2, Episode 6

D'Angelo!

:o Had actually seen that clip before when my housemate watched it, but I'd forgotten it was him. That was kind of unexpected, but I honestly didn't know what they were going to do with his story seeing as he was to be imprisoned for such a long time.

Also, Omar's the shit.

That is truly when I think it was proved that nobody was safe. They wanted everybody to think that he would eventually flip on Avon and Stringer, but instead he gets taken out in a sham suicide. Brilliant TV.

Season 2, Episode 8/9

"Takes a whore to catch a whore."

"The fuck did I do?"

Perfect welcoming back for McNulty. The brother bust was great, too.

I just can't get over how good this show is. Part of me isn't surprised considering the hype, but the writing, characters, acting, the story. It's all just brilliant.

• Like 1

Just finished Season 2, which was excellent. A really, really great finale which was tense, sad and satisfying without being wrapped up in the same way that Season 1 was. I loved where they ended it and who they ended it on, very powerful stuff. Excited to get cracking with Season 3.

Reading back through the start of the thread, I honestly can't understand why anyone wouldn't like the 2nd season. I thought it was just so good.

Slightly underwhelmed by the start of Season 3, but I also like where the story's started. And oh hey, there's Aiden Gillen!

Season 2 just blindsides people by being mostly about the dockworkers at the start, and some people couldn't get over it. I can only imagine actually watching the series as it was airing, waiting a year to get more of DeAngelo and Omar and Stringer, and then instead getting a whole hour of Ziggy and Horseface. Great shit, though.

• Like 2

I just finished the series about a week ago and my compulsion was immediately to start over because I don't want it to be finished. I'll probably end up watching it all again.

Season 2 feels like the most self-contained of the 5 because of how heavy they go into the dock worker stuff and the fact that some of those characters and details are sort of meaningfully done with at season's end. I'm pretty confident Season 4 is the best episode run of any show I've ever seen.

• Like 2