Star Trek TV

Your Mom

On 12/6/2017 at 00:44, stokerino said:

Duet is legitimately in the Top 10 of DS9 episodes. Possibly Top 5, but I can't be certain.

...Oh God, I'm going to end up trying to rank them this weekend, aren't I? :shifty: 

SDM's Top Standalone Episodes of DS9, go!

DS9: Far Beyond The Stars S6X13
DS9: Duet S1X19
DS9: For The Uniform S5X13
DS9: Rocks And Shoals S6X02
DS9: In The Pale Moonlight S6X19
DS9: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges S7X16
DS9: Seige Of AR-558 S7X08
  • Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 08:46, Lint said:

Seriously, DS9 is my favorite Trek show...to the point I give the entire series a full watch on Netflix once a year.  Trying to rank a Top 10 is nearly impossible

I'm currently going through my 'Voyager Year' atm, I've reached season 4 and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Next up is DS9 again!

Was that Planet Upvote? I love how the AV Club lost their shit over that episode. #triggered 

38 minutes ago, SeanDMan said:

I never remember which Season 7 episode is which, so can't comment on those. Other than that, the only one of your picks that I don't immediately go YES to is Rocks and Shoals. Is that the one where they've crashed their Jem Hadar ship on a planet? Maybe I'm forgetting something from that episode, but I can't think of anything that would make it stand above other solid offerings.

(And no, I didn't actually go rank DS9 episodes that weekend. :shifty: Every chance it could still happen though!)

1 minute ago, stokerino said:

I never remember which Season 7 episode is which, so can't comment on those. Other than that, the only one of your picks that I don't immediately go YES to is Rocks and Shoals. Is that the one where they've crashed their Jem Hadar ship on a planet? Maybe I'm forgetting something from that episode, but I can't think of anything that would make it stand above other solid offerings.

(And no, I didn't actually go rank DS9 episodes that weekend. :shifty: Every chance it could still happen though!)

Siege Of Ar - The space antenae battle where Nog loses his leg.

Inter Arma - Bashir goes to Romulus.

Rocks And Shoals is a fantastic picture of how pointless and horrible war is for the people on the ground.

"He is the Vorta. I am a Jem'Hadar. That is the order of things."

"Do you really want to give your life... for "the order of things"?"

"It is not my life to give up, Captain. And it never was."

1 minute ago, Benji said:

It was "About a Girl" (we're really behind in the UK). I now look forward to that one though :D

I didn't know that was an Orville episode, I thought it was a VH1 Special.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2018 at 04:33, SeanDMan said:

Oh god...here are some of mine.  No "Top" list, no particular order

In The Pale Moonlight

Seige of AR-558

The Magnificent Ferengie

Duet

Take Me Out To the Holosuite

Facets

Past Tense (Both parts)

The House of Quark

In Purgatorys Shadow

By Inferno's Light

The Search pt. 2

Apocalypse Rising

Trials and Tribble-ations

Ya know what...a list of "favorite DS9" episides would be too long for me...

17 minutes ago, Lint said:

The Magnificent Ferengie

Easily the best of the Ferengi episodes although a lot of them set a low bar, but yeah this was harmless fun, and Iggy Pop is hillarious.

Take Me Out To the Holosuite

A nice, fun break from the serious later season stuff, a good comedy episode.

Facets

This episode is terrible. -_-

Past Tense (Both parts)

This is good but Far Beyond The Stars tells the same story better.

The House of Quark

This was a lot of good, silly fun.

In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light

There's a few interesting moments but as stand alone stories these episodes are sort of eh.

The Search pt. 2

Not a great episode, it sets the stakes pretty high but it's mostly forgettable and the Dominion get a much better introduction through the combination of "The Die Is Cast/To The Death" than it did in The Search.

Apocalypse Rising

This one was pretty fun.

Trials and Tribble-ations

This is a fun episode but it's something I'd never recommend on it's own to a non-fan, it's something that you get so much more out of as a fan. Especially the reference to The Great Tribble Hunt.

Started up a watch-through of DS9 with a couple of friends, for evenings when we all somehow manage to be free at the same time. At this rate, we will probably get through it all by approximately 2022. :shifty: 

As part of this, I'm intending to make a note of what I'll call 'contender' episodes for a Top List of Some Number. Not exactly expecting many for a while yet, of course.

Of the five episodes we've watched so far, I think 'Babel' has been my favourite. It's completely by-the-numbers "oh God something strange is happening to the crew/ship/etc." Star Trek fare and it's a formula that's no doubt been done better by at least half a dozen TNG episodes...but I always like watching the transition the actors make when they start talking gibberish mid-sentence. But yeah, nothing special so far.

1 hour ago, SeanDMan said:

a fun episode but it's something I'd never recommend on it's own to a non-fan, it's something that you get so much more out of as a fan. Especially the reference to The Great Tribble Hunt.

I agree, though it did start the great debate over the "We do not discuss it with outsiders" line

Basically, when Bashier, O'Brien and Worf are on DS...I think 7...among Klingon's. A waitress makes mention of Klingons on the station, and when Bashier and O'Brien are confused, makes a motion to Klingons that look like this

LTFui.png

The exchange goes

Worf: They are Klingons...and it is a long story

Bashier:  What happened?  Some kind of genetic engineering?

O'Brien:  A viral mutation?

Worf:  We do not discuss it with outsiders

It lead to the "viral augment" storyline on Enterprise...which has never kept my interest to see how it ended

Just now, SeanDMan said:

No I know all of that, what was the debate? -_-

Whether the augment virus is cannon, or should just be explained away as "they didn't have the budget for it at the time" and ignore the ENT explaination