Star Trek TV

Your Mom

Oh, well, it's like the r/daystrominstitute rule: saying "it's just a TV show, let's not speculate" is fucking boring. OF COURSE the Klingons being just "dark skinned dudes" was because they didn't have the money to do anything fancy to make them look different. I think changing their appearance in TNG made them a lot cooler looking and I didn't mind the augment virus as a sort of nod to the fans to explain the differences.

I think the Augment Virus works, especially in light of the changes made to the Klingons on Discovery. The whole schitck is basically Klingon Power, and losing the ridges, for them, would be like a loss of identity, making them look even more like the people they hate. 

The Augment storyline itself was boring :shifty: . 

ENTERPRISE ignored or messed around with a few too many things that were canon for me to accept the show itself as canon.

Then again, I quit watching regularly after season one, and didn't watch again at all until the Mirror Universe two-parter.

On 1/15/2018 at 16:18, K said:

Enterprise has aged really well and I would absolutely rate it over Voyager

On 1/16/2018 at 02:44, Benji said:

The turn around of Enterprise came way too late, but to see people wanting it out of canon makes me laugh. It wound up being really good by the end.

Yeah, anything with Mirror Universe Space Nazis is okay in my books.

• 1 month later...

People always slated DS9 as the 'weakest' of the new generation of Star Trek, but they're all idiots.

DS9 was a great show that actually rooted its characters in a singular place for more than a week, where consequences of their actions are actually shown in the show with every passing episode. Their entire run-up to the dominion war and the war itself was brilliant work that spanned multiple seasons.

Arguably looking back, it's better now than it was back then, because of how television viewing has changed wildly. Back then it struggled because it just kept chugging along with a serialized story, whilst people were used to the easier 22 episodes a season that could all be watched on their own with little issue.

Nowadays it's flipped, shows are serialized, focusing on an ongoing story rather than 22 mini-stories (give or take with a few double/triple-episodes depending on the show). And DS9 fits perfectly in the modern style.

• Like 2

You were right the first time, no need to repeat yourself.

36 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

People always slated DS9 as the 'weakest' of the new generation of Star Trek, but they're all idiots.

DS9 was a great show that actually rooted its characters in a singular place for more than a week, where consequences of their actions are actually shown in the show with every passing episode. Their entire run-up to the dominion war and the war itself was brilliant work that spanned multiple seasons.

Arguably looking back, it's better now than it was back then, because of how television viewing has changed wildly. Back then it struggled because it just kept chugging along with a serialized story, whilst people were used to the easier 22 episodes a season that could all be watched on their own with little issue.

Nowadays it's flipped, shows are serialized, focusing on an ongoing story rather than 22 mini-stories (give or take with a few double/triple-episodes depending on the show). And DS9 fits perfectly in the modern style.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. I actually struggled with DS9 as a kid, because I was used to stand alone episodes. As an adult it is my undoubted favourite. 

On 3/2/2018 at 06:37, Jasonmufc said:

They actually directly address this in the article I linked to

Thanks to being added to Netflix, Deep Space Nine is currently experiencing a renaissance. “Binge-watching is the best thing that ever happened to Deep Space Nine,” Behr enthuses, “it’s made the show accessible in the way it was meant to be seen.”

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stokerino said:

Episode 10

Hide contents

I mean the Mirror Universe is great and all, but can they not leave it the fuck alone for one goddamn series?

TNG and Voyager say "hi" <_<

baka stoke *smack*

Just now, Mick said:

Hide contents

TNG and Voyager say "hi" <_<

baka stoke *smack*

Voyager's Living Witness and TNG's Parallels were both good ways to visit alternate universes without having to go to the Mirror Universe. Don't think TAS ever went Mirror either.

10 hours ago, Mick said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Obviously not EVERY series...but ever since DS9 took the one-off TOS Mirror Universe and turned it into a thing with depth, it's just struck me as a well they can't resist going back to. I'd wager Voyager escaped because it was running in parallel with DS9 on TV, but Enterprise? OH HELL THE SHOW IS FLAGGING, BRING IN THE MIRROR UNIVERSE. And Discovery? Well it's brand-new so let's just give it a little while to - NOPE, NOT CHANCING IT. BOOM, MIRROR UNIVERSE!

And I reiterate, I like the Mirror Universe. The hammy evil acting is glorious. :shifty: It's just a bit like the number of times new Dr. Who has played the Cybermen/Daleks cards. They don't need to turn up that often!

On 3/13/2018 at 06:54, stokerino said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Obviously not EVERY series...but ever since DS9 took the one-off TOS Mirror Universe and turned it into a thing with depth, it's just struck me as a well they can't resist going back to. I'd wager Voyager escaped because it was running in parallel with DS9 on TV, but Enterprise? OH HELL THE SHOW IS FLAGGING, BRING IN THE MIRROR UNIVERSE. And Discovery? Well it's brand-new so let's just give it a little while to - NOPE, NOT CHANCING IT. BOOM, MIRROR UNIVERSE!

And I reiterate, I like the Mirror Universe. The hammy evil acting is glorious. :shifty: It's just a bit like the number of times new Dr. Who has played the Cybermen/Daleks cards. They don't need to turn up that often!

Spoiler

It was cool to see Captain Tilly, though.

• Like 1