Star Trek TV

Your Mom

2 hours ago, Mick said:

Two things: Regardless of sex, it's Star Trek. The main character needs to be the captain. 

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. Main character in Star Trek is such a loose term anyway, there's always been a Captain who defaults to being the lead for obvious reasons, but for the most part it's an ensemble show. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Besides that the main character is not a Captain. It does not mean that they aren't a position of power. It could be that we're going to be dealing with far more political intrigue with an Admiral or something.

• Like 1

Nah, there's an article on the beeb that says lieutenant-commander 'with caveats'.

I think between the phrase 'main character' and the fact it's only going to be 13 episode suggests it's going to be pretty different to previous stuff. Should be interesting at least.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mick said:

Two things: Regardless of sex, it's Star Trek. The main character needs to be the captain. 

Second....by "Ten years before the start of the original series", does that mean ten years before the start of The Cage, or ten years before the start of "Where No Man Has Gone Before?". Cause those are separated by a ten year difference :shifty: . 

Sisko was a commander at first

• 7 months later...

Nearly finished with Enterprise, two episodes left. 

It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and in retrospect it's a shame it got cancelled. The fourth season really reminds me at times of DS9. 

Overall thoughts: 

The main three (Archer, T'Pol and Trip) did a fine job. 

Malcolm needs to avoid doing shit with Trip, it never ends well. 

Travis is worthless. It's really something when Porthos gets more screen time and more plots. 
Hoshi is not nearly as worthless as Travis

I believe Phlox, for as awesome as he is, is most likely a psychopathic serial killer. 

I have no idea how the mechanics behind the Temporal Cold War work. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mick said:

Nearly finished with Enterprise, two episodes left. 

It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and in retrospect it's a shame it got cancelled. The fourth season really reminds me at times of DS9. 

Overall thoughts: 

The main three (Archer, T'Pol and Trip) did a fine job. 

Malcolm needs to avoid doing shit with Trip, it never ends well. 

Travis is worthless. It's really something when Porthos gets more screen time and more plots. 
Hoshi is not nearly as worthless as Travis

I believe Phlox, for as awesome as he is, is most likely a psychopathic serial killer. 

I have no idea how the mechanics behind the Temporal Cold War work. 

One of the bigger complaints when the series was on was that Travis was basically forgotten most of the time, it kinda pissed people off

TRAVIS: There was this one time when the Horizon-

T'POL: Captain, I'm detecting a microbe.

ARCHER: THAT COULD BE NEW LIFE! TRAVIS, MAXIMUM WARP!

MALCOLM: Should I ready the phase cannons, sir? :) 

• Like 1

Going off ENTERPRISE's finale....

The show violated canon so much that I'm convinced the explanation is that the whole series was nothing but a bunch of holo novels created by Riker, who based them on the real ship's logs but made changes for dramatic license.

Also, I hated what happened to Trip.

I gave up on the show during season two, only watched a handful of episodes after. The Mirror Universe two-parter, and a couple of random episodes. I saw the finale in re-runs, but only after someone spoiled part of it for me. And I only gave the show a chance in the first place because they cast Scott Bakula as Archer. Fortunately, I love NCIS New Orleans, which he is the lead on now.

Travis was so goddamn criminally underused it's not even funny.
Harry Kim is often the butt of the jokes regarding ascended extras, but he actually got a bunch of storylines throughout the season, and despite being ensign for most of their voyage he also got a much deserved promotion.

3 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Travis was so goddamn criminally underused it's not even funny.
Harry Kim is often the butt of the jokes regarding ascended extras, but he actually got a bunch of storylines throughout the season, and despite being ensign for most of their voyage he also got a much deserved promotion.

Except it wasn't the original Harry Kim :shifty: . 

I know, but its the closest thing to canon at the moment.

There's a whole story arc involving what happened to Harry, and basically the `real' Harry is now a Kobali. They even brought back the actress who played Lyndsay Ballard/Jhet'leya to play the same character during it. (Garrett Wang plays both versions of Harry in the arc - the real one and the replacement version)

(The game also has one storyline that's a sequel to Yesterday's Enterprise, where Denise Crosby does Tasha Yar's voice, and she's also in the game as Sela.)

Jhet'leya

• 6 months later...

Just rewatched the DS9 episode "Songs of Mogh". 

That ending, when Worf says to (not)Kurn, "I have no family," and walks away...all the feels :( . 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was reading this thread on Reddit, which made me go back and rewatch the DS9 episode "Duet" on Netflix.  S1 of DS9 had some really weak episodes, but this isn't one of them

Just now, stokeriño said:

Duet is legitimately in the Top 10 of DS9 episodes. Possibly Top 5, but I can't be certain.

...Oh God, I'm going to end up trying to rank them this weekend, aren't I? :shifty: 

Seriously, DS9 is my favorite Trek show...to the point I give the entire series a full watch on Netflix once a year.  Trying to rank a Top 10 is nearly impossible