Washington Redskins? More like Washington.. lack of... merchandising.. skins...

apsham

Political Correctness really does suck, and people are far too sensitive about this kind of thing. I don't care if they change their name or not personally... but I wouldn't bat an eye at a team being named the honkies or crackers... I mean a person can't even wear a head dress without it being "racist" anymore.

That being said "Redskins" is probably the most offensive Native American themed name there has ever been. It's not like its Warriors, Chiefs or Braves that has a positive context.

On a side note I totally want this NY Jews cap.

cleveland-indians.png

You should move to the UK and vote for UKIP...

• Like 1

I don't see a problem with Fighting Irish, a lot of people wear Notre Dame merchandise over here specifically for that name.

Probably helps that the Irish have played a role in Notre Dames history while the Redskins are the most historically racist NFL franchise to begin with.

The fact that the term Indian is still used to describe Native Americans is hilarious too, it'd be more accurate to just call all white Americans Europeans instead.

I had an Irish grandfather who rooted for Notre Dame because of the nickname. It's a point of pride in the Irish community for a lot of reasons. It's believed as portraying them as the fighting underdogs who have made it to the top, which parallels nicely with Irish-American history in the first half of the 20th century.

"American Indian" is a widely accepted term though. Depending on who you ask, most prefer American Indian or even Indian to Native American.

Still doesn't mean Indian should be an acceptable team name... unless, ya know, it's a team of actual Indians.

Most of these teams can be changed with little more than a simple logo change. It never even occurred to me that a lot of teams named "Warriors" even had Indian connotations because that word is so broad, you can update your logo or branding without changing the name. Same with stuff like The Blackhawks, just change the logo to a black hawk, problem solved.

But Redskins is particularly racist and basically like having a team called the DC Darkies or the Washington Orientals, phrases you would never say to someone and not expect to get punched in the face. The Indians mascot should be next to go, along with that stupid fucking Tomahawk Chop in Atlanta, but Redskins is super racist and it's shocking it's even up for debate. Our treatment of American Indians is one of the greatest atrocities this country has ever committed, our original sin, and the fact that we're so cavalier about it "because football," is so dumb.

• Like 4

"American Indian" is a widely accepted term though. Depending on who you ask, most prefer American Indian or even Indian to Native American.

Still doesn't mean Indian should be an acceptable team name... unless, ya know, it's a team of actual Indians.

Most of these teams can be changed with little more than a simple logo change. It never even occurred to me that a lot of teams named "Warriors" even had Indian connotations because that word is so broad, you can update your logo or branding without changing the name. Same with stuff like The Blackhawks, just change the logo to a black hawk, problem solved.

But Redskins is particularly racist and basically like having a team called the DC Darkies or the Washington Orientals, phrases you would never say to someone and not expect to get punched in the face. The Indians mascot should be next to go, along with that stupid fucking Tomahawk Chop in Atlanta, but Redskins is super racist and it's shocking it's even up for debate. Our treatment of American Indians is one of the greatest atrocities this country has ever committed, our original sin, and the fact that we're so cavalier about it "because football," is so dumb.

The "politically correct" term is American Indian. When their Smithsonian museum was chosen it go the name National Museum of the American Indian.

The Tomahawk chop definitely should go as well, from both Atlanta and Florida State. Strange thing about FSU though is the Seminole nation votes on and approves their use of the imagery and cheer. They're, by my knowledge, the only tribe to do so.

And it is super easy to repurpose Warriors, Braves, and even Chiefs. Indians, Redskins, Sioux, Illini, and the few high schools who have the name Savages are going to take further steps. But absolutely no steps that will at all change anything except merchandise.

• Like 1

Today on my Facebook timeline.

If you don't think the washington redskins should change their name, then you're a racist. and if you don't think you're a racist, then you are ignorant + a racist.

Not the direction I was expecting this whole thing to be going but I'm glad someone said it. Less sign today of the "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS LIBERAL PUSSYPANTS" crowd who I guess went to bed and realized they're on the wrong side of history.

• Like 1

Some have suggested rebranding the team as the Redtails, to honor the Tuskegee Airmen. I kind of like that idea.

But I have a few suggestions:

Warriors - Could retain the current helmet logo, or even go back to the arrowhead (or is supposed to be a spear?)

Generals - Yes, its the name of the Harlem Globetrotters' personal jobbers, but the Pentagon is in D.C., so....

Cowboys' Bitches - :lol:

Some have suggested rebranding the team as the Redtails, to honor the Tuskegee Airmen. I kind of like that idea.

But I have a few suggestions:

Warriors - Could retain the current helmet logo, or even go back to the arrowhead (or is supposed to be a spear?)

Generals - Yes, its the name of the Harlem Globetrotters' personal jobbers, but the Pentagon is in D.C., so....

Cowboys' Bitches - :lol:

The logo needs to be ditched too. All they should keep are the colors.

Whats wrong with Orient?

• Like 2

I'd also like to point out that the Redskins' founder and first owner, George Preston Marshall, was a bigtime racist. The Redskins didn't sign any African-American players until 1962, despite other teams signing AA players in the mid 1940s. And the Redskins only did so because of threats from the government (including Robert F. Kennedy, who was the Attorney General at the time) to revoke the team's stadium lease if they didn't. The government actually did own the stadium, though.

My point is, the team was named by a racist. Which does give ammo to everyone who believes the Redskins name is racist.

By the way, when they were thinking up a new name for the Oilers when they moved to Tennessee, one of the names that was rejected was Copperheads. Long story, but that actually has a racist connotation that I don't remember all the details of. Glad they went with Titans, anyway.

Oh, and before anyone brings up the Florida State Seminoles, they're actually endorsed by the Seminole tribe. But I believe FSU also pays the tribe for using that name....

Edited by GhostMachine

I don't understand why anyone would be outraged by the decision. No one is saying that they can't use the term in their team name. They are just saying that you can't trademark something that is disparaging. People saying "oh boy, we are entering the new hippy age of PC" are missing the point. It is a knee jerk response. Allowing people to trademark something that is disparaging would lead to a pretty hellish IP landscape. Just as an example, I could start a dildo company called "John Cena has crabs" and without these laws, I'd have the full marketing rights to sell all the "John Cena has crabs" dildos I want.

• Like 2

I'd also like to point out that the Redskins' founder and first owner, George Preston Marshall, was a bigtime racist. The Redskins didn't sign any African-American players until 1962, despite other teams signing AA players in the mid 1940s. And the Redskins only did so because of threats from the government (including Robert F. Kennedy, who was the Attorney General at the time) to revoke the team's stadium lease if they didn't. The government actually did own the stadium, though.

My point is, the team was named by a racist. Which does give ammo to everyone who believes the Redskins name is racist.

By the way, when they were thinking up a new name for the Oilers when they moved to Tennessee, one of the names that was rejected was Copperheads. Long story, but that actually has a racist connotation that I don't remember all the details of. Glad they went with Titans, anyway.

Oh, and before anyone brings up the Florida State Seminoles, they're actually endorsed by the Seminole tribe. But I believe FSU also pays the tribe for using that name....

I'm from Allentown, who a few years back got the Phillies triple-A minor league team. Team was given the name the Iron Pigs, due to the regions history of iron and steel production, and a contest was run to give the mascots its name. The most popular choice? Porkchop, since it was a pig. End result? Bunch of people said "Thats a racial insult for puerto ricans". I had never ever heard that until it was pointed out.

So I do think in some cases it does go a little overboard. Porkchop makes sense if your mascot is a pig. Copperheads makes sense if the area is known for those snakes. Redskins doesn't make sense at all

My Facebook wall has been pretty quiet, much to my relief. I think my efforts to prune have been successful. I've argued more about Dr. Oz than the Redskins.

i was very sad about this, I had a lawn chair and a picnic lunch and everything.
  • Like 1