Intergender Sports

Benji

Should sports become more intergendered?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should sports become more intergendered?

• Yes, all sports should become intergendered
    • Yes, but on a sport-by-sport basis
    • No
    • Other (Please State)

Your example doesn't hold up though, as in Rugby this is literally not allowed to happen as pro teams are not allowed to play lower league amateur teams.

I don't see that as the point of my example. TCO's point was "men are superior to women, look at what happens when they compare them" and my example was to prove that isn't a fair comparison because one has received far more funding, coaching, infrastructure, societal support, etc. in their sport than the other. Perhaps men are superior to women in sports, but the fact that they outperform them now doesn't prove that point.

If you took gender out of this equation, nobody would even compare to the two situations. If you were to compare a man who received lesser coaching, lesser opportunities in sports, less scholarships, less encouragement from the people around them growing up, etc. versus a man who received the best coaching, the best opportunities, the greater scholarships, the greater chances to play in leagues, etc. You would say it was a clearly unfair comparison to say that one of the athletes was better than the other.

You're completely ignoring the genetic physical differences between men and women here. Give any women all the training in the world, you put them in at the top level of men's rugby or American football they could get killed.

I'm not debating the technical aspect. I agree in a hypothetical situation, women could easily be as technically proficient as men, if not more so should they recieve the training.

Edited by TCO

And in MMA, such a bout wouldn't be sanctioned.

Since this is a discussion is hypothetical we are assuming this kind of thing could be sanctioned, you plum.

I mean that a bout between two men with vastly different levels of training and experience or a significant size difference wouldn't be sanctioned, you plum

And in MMA, such a bout wouldn't be sanctioned.

Since this is a discussion is hypothetical we are assuming this kind of thing could be sanctioned, you plum.

I mean that a bout between two men with vastly different levels of training and experience or a significant size difference wouldn't be sanctioned, you plum

1. You should have been more clear

B. My point still stands

iii. You plum

I think there's a difference between snooker or darts where women aren't performing as well due to fewer women taking up the sport and comparative lack of training, and purely physical or contact sports where physical advantages take precedence. Simple as that really.

On a personal note when we were at school one of our girl friends would often play football with us after school for knockabouts, but I always felt awkward going in for a tackle simply because I've suffered and seen leg breaks and I really couldn't face that happening to a girl. At the time I probably thought that chivalrous but I'm probably just a massive sexist. I should be an equal opportunities Karl Henry.

Korfball has mixed gender teams.

At junior school, all our sports are mixed. I love it. Girls NEED to be encouraged to play sport because by the age of 17 only about 7% of girls still play. It's tragic. We had a girl who had trained with Gillingham ladies. I made her captain of our football team - both girls and mixed teams. She would destroy the other girls teams and more than held her own against boys - often dribbling past them.

Then she goes to secondary school and suddenly she's not allowed to compete with the boys anymore. It's a real shame. For men and women to truly be given equal opportunities in sport then secondary schools need to do a helluva lot more to encourage this.

Also, for any of you who have voted for all sports to be intergender (and I don't mean to name and shame)... How about MMA and boxing? Do you feel that's ok? Or what about Rugby where more and more of the guys and huge, powerful beasts, we talked about Courtney Lawes tackle in the final 6 nations game being amazing at one point, imagine it on a woman, is that ok?

I mean I know it's more of a one of kind thing, but how would Ronda Rousey do competing against male MMA fighters?

I think there's a difference between snooker or darts where women aren't performing as well due to fewer women taking up the sport and comparative lack of training, and purely physical or contact sports where physical advantages take precedence. Simple as that really.

On a personal note when we were at school one of our girl friends would often play football with us after school for knockabouts, but I always felt awkward going in for a tackle simply because I've suffered and seen leg breaks and I really couldn't face that happening to a girl. At the time I probably thought that chivalrous but I'm probably just a massive sexist. I should be an equal opportunities Karl Henry.

Back in the day in primary school during P.E. we would occasionally play footy and the girls would shout "Boys vs Girls!!" but clearly it wasn't an even match up, so me and Kevin would play for the girls team. Not for that chivalry, but to become a PLAYA PLAYA.

• Like 1