The January Transfer Window - 2020

Lineker

7 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

Going to be disappointed if Fernandes is the only player we manage to bring in. I'd settle for another youngster at this stage. Oh well hopefully we have better luck in the off season transfer market (lol).

It's usually "easier" to get business done in the summer but I wouldn't say that's the case during a tournament year, with the Euro's taking place this time. A lot of targets would be taking part, so by the time their team is eliminated and they have a couple of weeks off, pre season is due to start and the rush is well and truly on to get things done before the deadline. 

The Fernandes deal is expected to be completed in time for Friday's deadline and he'd be able to make his debut on Saturday against Wolves. Should give us a boost in midfield but I don't think we'll get the full benefit until Pogba and Scotty are back. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Baddar said:

It's usually "easier" to get business done in the summer but I wouldn't say that's the case during a tournament year, with the Euro's taking place this time. A lot of targets would be taking part, so by the time their team is eliminated and they have a couple of weeks off, pre season is due to start and the rush is well and truly on to get things done before the deadline. 

The Fernandes deal is expected to be completed in time for Friday's deadline and he'd be able to make his debut on Saturday against Wolves. Should give us a boost in midfield but I don't think we'll get the full benefit until Pogba and Scotty are back. 

Yeah my hopes are if we do get the new DoF that's being talked about in soon he will start working on deals before the season is over - at least have some plans in place to make it easier around the Euro's. Either that or we just sign all non-Europeans :shifty:

Honestly think McTominay is the player we need back more - he actually wants to play for the club. I don't think Pogba's heart is in it and I think it is time we accepted it and moved him and his little dabbing buddy Lingard on. Unless we get a new manager who figures out how to get Pogba firing on all cylinders.

14 hours ago, Baddar said:

As much as United's transfer business (or lack of) has been shocking, I'm glad we didn't stump up cash to get Eriksen. Really good player, but definitely seems on the decline now and wouldn't really add an awful lot across a 3 or 4 year period I don't think.

I think he'll be fantastic at Inter, personally. I think it's less a decline and more that he completely lost his motivation. The best thing would've been for him to move on in January and we wouldn't have thad this falling out period where he was sort-of putting in a performance. It was kinda infuriating that he continued to play as much as he did, especially when he continued to offer so little. 

Still, he didn't throw his toys out of the pram, it honestly seemed to be about a new challenge over just securing a big wage elsewhere.

I'm excited about the overdue changes at Spurs, although I'd really like to see performances and fluidity start improving. I'm ready to give Mourinho the benefit of the doubt and that he'll need a summer (minimum). 

• Like 1

Oh yeah, Eriksen will do just fine at Inter. Very well, actually. It's different at United though. One bad game and everyone would be on his back, killing his confidence completely. 

I know Inter are going a bit mad in the market lately but at least they're pushing to challenge Juve. AC Milan tried it a few seasons back but didn't bring in big names like Inter have. 

Chelsea fans frustrated at our lack of January signings amuse me. As if the context of having had a brief transfer ban would make other players/clubs more willing to join/sell to us in January, or indeed as if the Chelsea board would operate any differently from how they have over the past several years.

I just read a rumour that Spurs have enquired about Giroud. Could he become only the second player after William Gallas to have played for Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs...?

4 hours ago, stokeriño said:

Chelsea fans frustrated at our lack of January signings amuse me. As if the context of having had a brief transfer ban would make other players/clubs more willing to join/sell to us in January, or indeed as if the Chelsea board would operate any differently from how they have over the past several years.

I just read a rumour that Spurs have enquired about Giroud. Could he become only the second player after William Gallas to have played for Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs...?

I believe so. 

Giroud is reportedly keen on a move there too. :puke:

Wow. The fact we live in a world where a midtable Premier League team can turn down that sort of money is amazing on its own. That would be a world record fee only a couple of years ago.

If they come back in the summer for him he'll probably go, but we would not be able to replace him if he went now so it's a bit of a no-brainer.