Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So there are a ton of horror movies coming out this year: 

  • The Grudge
  • Underwater
  • The Turning
  • Gretel & Hansel
  • Fantasy Island
  • Brahms: The Boy 2
  • The Lodge
  • The Invisible Man
  • The Hunt
  • A Quiet Place Part 2
  • The New Mutants
  • Antlers
  • Antebellum
  • Spiral: From the Book of Saw
  • Candyman

Are all out or due out by June. And that's just theatrical! That's not counting where horror has really thrived the last few years: streaming. I'm a big Shudder user (and hey, Ginger Snaps just got added today), so hopefully there will be enough going on to keep this thread going. 

I saw Invisible Man yesterday and was floored. I heard good things but wasn't ready for it to be THAT good. Easily the best of the Universal Monster stories in decades. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is this where I post this?    

So there are a ton of horror movies coming out this year:  The Grudge Underwater The Turning Gretel & Hansel Fantasy Island Brahms: The Boy 2 The Lo

It follows really is fantastic. I went in hearing nothing about it and was completely blown away.

This is cool. I always come to you on Twitter when I want to know about Horror anyway. I've been thinking about getting Shudder and I freaking LOVE Ginger Snaps. I didn't know New Mutants was horror! I'm looking forward to that and Candyman and A Quiet Place 2 of course. I'll start the thread off with a couple questions

1. As a victim of a lot of mental and physical abuse by a man I feel like The Invisible Man might be too much for me. Obviously none of you know for sure what will trigger me but is the movie good enough to risk it? Like I like a good scare but if the guy is doing a lot of fucked up stuff I don't know if I want to put myself through it.

2. I've never watched a movie in The Conjuring universe. Unless The Nun counts? I saw that just because I thought it looked scary but I felt like I was missing out on a lot of story. Anyway I'm always thinking about just starting them from the beginning. Is it worth the time?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember much about the original Conjuring, but I enjoyed the sequel set in London.

Despite The Boy 2 getting some dreadful reviews, I'm going to see it tomorrow, mainly because I liked the first one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Read or Not today! Such a fun film

Samara Weaving is fantastic in it!

I think about 2 years ago, I've decided to rank each horror movie I've seen/rewatched from that point on. Still my favorite genre today!

https://letterboxd.com/larziej/list/ranked-horror-films/

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Your Mom's Side Chick said:

This is cool. I always come to you on Twitter when I want to know about Horror anyway. I've been thinking about getting Shudder and I freaking LOVE Ginger Snaps. I didn't know New Mutants was horror! I'm looking forward to that and Candyman and A Quiet Place 2 of course. I'll start the thread off with a couple questions

1. As a victim of a lot of mental and physical abuse by a man I feel like The Invisible Man might be too much for me. Obviously none of you know for sure what will trigger me but is the movie good enough to risk it? Like I like a good scare but if the guy is doing a lot of fucked up stuff I don't know if I want to put myself through it.

2. I've never watched a movie in The Conjuring universe. Unless The Nun counts? I saw that just because I thought it looked scary but I felt like I was missing out on a lot of story. Anyway I'm always thinking about just starting them from the beginning. Is it worth the time?

I think New Mutants will be loosely horror, but they're definitely advertising it as such. 

1. Invisible Man might be a little much for you. Like you said, I don't know what your triggers are, but it is extremely intense and all about an abusive relationship. It's really really really good, but it's a lot. I'm very eager to talk about it with you, but I don't want it to put you in a bad place. 

2. The Conjuring 1 & 2 are great movies. I have issues with the lionization of Ed & Lorraine Warren, but they're great horror movies. Annabelle Creation is also pretty damn creepy. 

And omg @Monkey D. Lars, I LOVE Ready or Not. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Your Mom's Side Chick said:

1. As a victim of a lot of mental and physical abuse by a man I feel like The Invisible Man might be too much for me. Obviously none of you know for sure what will trigger me but is the movie good enough to risk it? Like I like a good scare but if the guy is doing a lot of fucked up stuff I don't know if I want to put myself through it.

I just saw it and like you said, I don't know what will trigger you but what I'd say is that movie is great but fairly stressful, probably somewhere around It Follows levels of constant tension for me. There are a couple things in particular that he does that are particularly cruel in a way that I could see being extremely unpleasant. If you're on the fence I could tell you how it ends in PM either in really vague "this isn't going to especially ruin the story" terms or more detailed terms if that would help at all.

EDIT: also, yes, Ready or Not is great. I think the best horror movie I saw last year was Midsommar but Ready or Not is the one I'd most wholeheartedly recommend to people.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

When horror is done well, it's so freaking good. However, I find most horror to be tedious and just a bunch of nothing happening. That said, I thought Gretel and Hansel was really good. Not a typical horror or supernatural movie, sort of skirts the line between each. Kind of enjoyed it.

On the other hand, Brahms: The Boy II was absolute hot garbage. What boring nonsense. At least The Boy had that one shocking twist that to me was slightly surprising.

My favorite horror movies of the recent years are probably Get Out, Crimson Peak, Us, It Follows, Green Room, A Quiet Place, Villains and I also quite enjoyed Life. I know some of those might not qualify as horror to some but I think of those as horror to some extent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing The Invisible Man has a similar vibe to It Follows excites me. I could go and watch that instead today, but my missus wants to watch it together when it's got a proper home release.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Benjamin said:

When horror is done well, it's so freaking good. However, I find most horror to be tedious and just a bunch of nothing happening. That said, I thought Gretel and Hansel was really good. Not a typical horror or supernatural movie, sort of skirts the line between each. Kind of enjoyed it.

I'm surprised that if you find horror boring, you enjoyed Gretel and Hansel since that seems to be everyone's chief complaint about it. I loved it, thought it was a great entry point horror movie for kids that want a real horror movie but not quite ready to be terrified. 

Great score, great performances, very different vibe from a lot of modern horror, and the Orion logo made me happy. I get why it didn't do much at the box office and why people may have been bored, but I think a lot of folks will regret not seeing it on the big screen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brahms: The Boy 2 wasn't nearly as bad as I'd prepared myself for. Perfectly acceptable sequel. 

Having read some of the user reviews on it though, I do get some of the gripes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny. I love the creepy and the spooky but I can't get much out of most Horror movies. I like Slashers  but not for any fear factor. I have to have found footage. I can't flip the switch in my brain that allows me to suspend my disbelief enough to get creeped out if I can clearly see that it's just a movie with camera men and a director just off screen. The only proper movie that can spook me is The Exorcist  because the idea of straight Demonic possession triggers some deep fear in me all on it's own. I didn't sleep right for a year after I saw it and briefly considered taking up Prayer despite being Agnostic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baddar said:

Brahms: The Boy 2 wasn't nearly as bad as I'd prepared myself for. Perfectly acceptable sequel. 

Having read some of the user reviews on it though, I do get some of the gripes. 

I should check it out since I try to see any horror movie that makes it to theaters, but it looks more like an Annabelle movie than a sequel to The Boy. Maybe that's just deceptive marketing though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zero said:

I should check it out since I try to see any horror movie that makes it to theaters, but it looks more like an Annabelle movie than a sequel to The Boy. Maybe that's just deceptive marketing though. 

There's a bit of what feels like retconning from the first movie, but I don't want to spoil anything beyond that.

1 hour ago, zero said:

I'm surprised that if you find horror boring, you enjoyed Gretel and Hansel since that seems to be everyone's chief complaint about it. I loved it, thought it was a great entry point horror movie for kids that want a real horror movie but not quite ready to be terrified. 

Great score, great performances, very different vibe from a lot of modern horror, and the Orion logo made me happy. I get why it didn't do much at the box office and why people may have been bored, but I think a lot of folks will regret not seeing it on the big screen. 

I think because it wasn't just the usual jump scare horror movie? The last few horror movies I've watch just feel like it goes through the usual formulaic storyline in horror. Especially if they're sequels. It's why I think the first Conjuring was actually decent and the first Insidious was fun, but I hated every sequel or prequel beyond that. The third Insidious might be the worst horror movie I've seen in a theater?

OH! Also another excellent horror movie? It Comes at Night. I totally forgot that existed and that is incredible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, zero said:

I should check it out since I try to see any horror movie that makes it to theaters, but it looks more like an Annabelle movie than a sequel to The Boy. Maybe that's just deceptive marketing though. 

It's definitely a bit different to the first, yeah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

There's a bit of what feels like retconning from the first movie, but I don't want to spoil anything beyond that.

I think because it wasn't just the usual jump scare horror movie? The last few horror movies I've watch just feel like it goes through the usual formulaic storyline in horror. Especially if they're sequels. It's why I think the first Conjuring was actually decent and the first Insidious was fun, but I hated every sequel or prequel beyond that. The third Insidious might be the worst horror movie I've seen in a theater?

OH! Also another excellent horror movie? It Comes at Night. I totally forgot that existed and that is incredible. 

We have pretty similar tastes then. I love all horror, even the bad horror, but my preference is slow burn, atmospheric horror. If you haven't seen them yet, check out:  House of the Devil (Prime), I Trapped the Devil (Hulu), The Blackcoat's Daughter (Netflix and directed by the guy who directed Gretel & Hansel), and The Ritual (Netflix).

Also The Witch (Netflix). Gretel & Hansel is basically The Witch with a PG13 rating. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I watched It Follows way back when you gave it praise after seeing it yourself. And I don't think I've enjoyed a horror as much as that since.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It Follows was probably my favorite horror flick of the decade. I had just bought my house when it came out, my first time living in a proper neighborhood and I remember walking my dogs the day after I saw it, listening to the score, and getting myself freaked out. It's such a great movie. The best letterboxd review I read for it was something like, "it's like they did an adult reboot of Are You Afraid of the Dark and this was the pilot."

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zero said:

It Follows was probably my favorite horror flick of the decade. I had just bought my house when it came out, my first time living in a proper neighborhood and I remember walking my dogs the day after I saw it, listening to the score, and getting myself freaked out. It's such a great movie. The best letterboxd review I read for it was something like, "it's like they did an adult reboot of Are You Afraid of the Dark and this was the pilot."

Like a suuuuuuuper adult reboot. Are You Afraid of the Dark feels like the tamest thing in comparison :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so that kind of story though. This suburban legend with weird rules and kids band together to fight it. Also I'm surprised it's not Canadian because it feels like a Canadian horror movie. It's Detroit though, soooooooo South Canada?

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Midsommar is the most recent movie to really hit me hard. I was also on mushrooms when I watched it (lightly on mushrooms), and it was very intense.

The Babadook is probably my favorite horror movie of the last five years. I really dig the mental illness connection with that one.

In terms of just straight fun though, anything Samara Weaving. Ready or Not was great. The Babysitter was hilariously good. Mayhem, as well, was so much fun to watch.

Horror is my bread and butter. I will watch a shitty horror movie over a well reviewed drama every day of the week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gabriel - Samara Weaving forever! Her, Anya Taylor Joy, Olivia Cooke, and Jane Levy are such a great batch of modern Scream Queens and I hate that the mainstream is trying to take them away from us. I just watched Mayhem for the first time a couple weeks ago, such a blast. 

@Baddar - Lake Mungo was my favorite horror film of the 00s, so yes that was probably me! Scariest movie I've ever seen.

Also, if anyone is looking for a genius work of horror, check out One Cut of the Dead on Shudder. Go in as cold as possible, don't read any synopsis or anything, just turn it on and wait for it. Trust me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah love to see Ready or Not getting some love - I was a bit let down by the end but the movie itself was really good and a lot of fun

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. To learn more, see our Privacy Policy