EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Previously, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020:

let's get going. If you missed it in the last post, the tallying format has been changed to points based on ballot placement multiplied by number of ballots the show appeared on. This year, the cutoff for that was fourteen points between two ballots, a total that was managed by two shows...

T81mHGr.jpg

49 (tie). F is For Family (28 points) (Last Year: NR)

mGGYOCw.jpg

49 (tie). Sex Education (28 points) (Last Year: NR)

w88VDSP.jpg

47 (tie). The Flight Attendant (30 points) (Last Year: NR)

QUEZnNy.jpg

47 (tie). Killing Eve (30 points) (Last Year: #34)

ymqiJmv.jpg

45 (tie). Prodigal Son (32 points) (Last Year: NR)

NjlMaxr.jpg

45 (tie). Dead to Me (32 points) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020: I am a GIF, Bella! I’m a GIF!

(and also for the four or so people with a rooting interest, the Best New Character result)

• Like 4

Flight Attendant really was fantastic, even if I had one minor quibble with the finale. I’m interested in a season 2.

Haven't yet seen Killing Eve season 3, as the end of season 2 didn’t really inspire me to. May or may not get to it.

The rest don’t really rate for me.

The Flight Attendant is really fun, and I probably would have committed to it being my "Next Time on" quote except I haven't finished it and don't want any spoilers for the last couple episodes. Was very tempted to just put a YouTube video of "Two of Hearts" by Stacey Q, though. It, fittingly, feels like a neat TV take on the kind of novel you'd pick up at a Hudson in an airport because you've got a long flight ahead of you and you forgot to pack something to read.

Not watched the others. Killing Eve was a possibility, especially because my sister has tried so hard to get me to watch it, but given how much people don't seem to like season 3 it doesn't feel like a priority. I do love Linda Cardellini and Christina Applegate so Dead to Me doesn't feel out of the realm of possibility but I think it's in that zone of Netflix shows that I'm just wary of actually committing to because I don't think I'll get a satisfying resolution.

I love Bill Burr and Sam Rockwell but found F is for Family to only be ok that I never really got back to it after the first season. I'll probably watch it at some point but am kinda tired of most adult animated series. 

The Flight Attendant is great, glad it at least made the list. It's no surprise that Kaley Cuoco was nominated for a Golden Globe today because of it. She's so good.

The rest are things I've heard good things about but will probably never end up seeing. 

Edited by livid

Did I vote for F Is For Family? I can't remember. It was one of the few shows I actually remember watching last year. I thought it was a pretty good season. 

I haven't seen the others. Prodigal Son looks like it's "Hannibal, but with Michael Sheen, and Michael Sheen's character's son is Clarice". Pass. I'd rather watch Hannibal again (and I probably will, at some point). I love Linda Cardellini but haven't ever seen Dead To Me. 

How To With John Wilson gives me strong Andy Daly/Nathan Fielder vibes (and no surprise, Fielder co-produced). I probably should watch that.

I've never seen any of these shows. Killing Eve, The Flight Attendant and Prodigal Son are on my "I'll watch them soon" list but seeing as I'm just doing a runthrough of Bones after it ended years ago, I'm not sure how quickly I'll get to these ones. These lists definitely give me an insight as to whether things stay on my "Get to them soon" list or not.

• Like 1

And we're back, with a smaller update because of the three ties that necessitated a larger one last time! But to offset that, we have the result of Best New Character, where as it often is it was decided by just one vote. The winner is...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47cmyvkf5dimg1ckwgkl

Catherine (you know, The Great)!

Huzzah. Honorable mentions to Doctor Senator, Esq. (Fargo), Kipo (... Kipo), GaTa (Dave), and Sayaka Kanomori (Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken), who all got a vote each. And now, some TV shows. One of these was the first show to be on more than two ballots, try to guess which one! (hint: it's the one that can only be a multiple of three)

MyyAkBw.jpg

44. Criminal: UK (33 points) (Last Year: NR)

sEunm6p.jpg

43. The Stranger (34 points) (Last Year: NR)

Ezu9rol.jpg

41 (tie). Hollywood (36 points) (Last Year: NR)

jHUuXhY.jpg

41 (tie). I May Destroy You (36 points) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020: Can anything be shot from a gun? And, if it lives, have we invented a new form of travel?

• Like 4

I honestly thought I'd voted The Stranger, must have not made the cut when I tweaked the list. Deserved place on the list though. Criminal: UK was brilliant again, hope they do a third series. Didn't see the other two from this batch.

And Wandavision is definitely gonna get top 3 next year, but Disney have a fair few series coming, I think giving it top spot is premature. Could honestly see Disney sweep the top 3 though.

Yeah, I May Destroy You is in my "oh, I should watch that" list.

Check a look at this, the next batch of shows.

T23bbGC.jpg

40. The Alienist (38 points) (Last Year: NR)

dWrdqXq.png

39. The Great (40 points) (Last Year: NR)

tjHIdqI.jpg

37 (tie). Supergirl (42 points) (Last Year: NR)

wyhHyr8.jpg

37 (tie). Staged (42 points) (Last Year: NR)

tsbfS5l.jpg

36. Gangs of London (44 points) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020: I fit my high school best friend in a suitcase way smaller than this when crossing the border between Laos and Vietnam, so I’m pretty sure I can figure this out.

• Like 2