EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020: The Results

GoGo Yubari

On 19/02/2021 at 01:51, Jimmy said:

Totally dug The Plot Against America and was surprised it didn't get a bit more love. 

I feel like I'm the opposite, I'm shocked and very pleased it actually cracked the top ten. Doesn't feel like the kind of show that normally would, I think the best a David Simon show has ever done prior to this was The Deuce's first season I think hitting around #20. Though I guess if we're talking in a general sense and not an EWB list sense, yeah, it does feel like once it stopped airing that was more or less it.

Anyway, here's the penultimate update. I would have posted it a day sooner but I had to cut loose to Pennsylvania.

s2m7t1p.jpg

6. What We Do in the Shadows (900 points) (Last Year: #10)

fCEtUvS.jpg

5. The Boys (927 points) (Last Year: #14)

Wyr8cAK.jpg

4. Bojack Horseman (1035 points) (Last Year: #3)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020: To sleep, and those who need it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I feel like I'm the opposite, I'm shocked and very pleased it actually cracked the top ten. Doesn't feel like the kind of show that normally would, I think the best a David Simon show has ever done prior to this was The Deuce's first season I think hitting around #20. Though I guess if we're talking in a general sense and not an EWB list sense, yeah, it does feel like once it stopped airing that was more or less it.

Oh yeah, I definitely mean outside of EWB on this one. 

I enjoyed Season 2 of What We Do In The Shadows a lot more than Season 1. I think it found its feet and started to kick on more as its own thing and stepped out of the shadow (get it?) of the film. 

The Boys continued to be a super fun show; easy to binge and digest. I remember thinking that this season felt a bit more focused, looking forward to seeing what they do with it going forward. 

BoJack will go down as one of my favourite ever TV shows - I think it's a phenomenal piece of work and was super impressed how beautifully they wrapped it up. Excited to go back and re-watch at some point. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Oh yeah, I definitely mean outside of EWB on this one. 

I enjoyed Season 2 of What We Do In The Shadows a lot more than Season 1. I think it found its feet and started to kick on more as its own thing and stepped out of the shadow (get it?) of the film. 

The Boys continued to be a super fun show; easy to binge and digest. I remember thinking that this season felt a bit more focused, looking forward to seeing what they do with it going forward. 

BoJack will go down as one of my favourite ever TV shows - I think it's a phenomenal piece of work and was super impressed how beautifully they wrapped it up. Excited to go back and re-watch at some point. 

I started rewatching Bojack last night! Lovely so far!

I never finished BoJack I think. I got pretty far in to the last season but I was pretty out of sorts every time I watched it so I can't even remember what all happened.

I keep meaning to watch that. I'll eventually get around to it. After I finish S2 of Harley Quinn, I'm going to watch Schitt's Creek, maybe I'll do What We Do.. after that.

Finish it.

WNqvRQp.jpg

3. Better Call Saul (1290 points) (Last Year: NR)

OWXq19l.jpg

2. The Mandalorian (1924 points) (Last Year: #22)

TgSdswm.jpg

1. The Good Place (2890 points) (Last Year: #1)

Thanks to everyone who voted at the end of a tough year. I'll post my thoughts on the top ten later, I'm quite tired, but I'm always thankful that even as this list does crazy things like outlive Supernatural somehow, people are still willing to turn up and vote on stuff. I'm also really happy that the list sparked a ton of discussion; last year's post was three pages long, this time around we're at at least five. See you next year, where we're guaranteed a new #1. Whether it's an established show or the very obvious new show that could end up sweeping the ballots, only time will tell! Thanks again, and see you for the movie list if I decide to do that (do people even want that in the year without a theater industry?).

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2021:

• Like 6

I've seen all of those ones. Either I only settle for the finest or I'm a bandwagon jumper.

Better Call Saul was my top pick. I thought the most recent run of episodes was superb in a way that produced surprises that were well set up and have me excited for the final series. It's a shame we're going to have to wait a while.

I think The Mandalorian is a solid show, but I wouldn't say I was as blown away by it as some people were. I'm sure I'd have loved it as a child, though.

I can't begrudge The Good Place top spot. It's a show that has such a pleasant vibe, with what I saw as a positive set of messages throughout. While it's sad it ended, I'm glad they bowed out so strongly.

• Like 1

Cracking top three tbf, and am glad The Good Place went out on a high (seriously, the actual end of the show is beautiful). BCS is probably the best on-going show of the day, and The Mandalorian is making Star Wars cool again. Happy with this trio. 

Thanks for putting it all together @GoGo Yubari. Very interested to see if / where WandaVision places next year!

Does anyone have a list handy of what has been #1 every year we've done this? I'd be interested to see how our tastes have changed.

A very deserving top three I have to say, although I still have not seen the final season of Good Place. Loved the rest of it though so I'm sure it maintained its standards.

• Thanks 1

I don't think I finished the final season of The Good Place. It's on the list. Listen, god, everything's on the list, ok? What if I don't want to feel bittersweet right now?

33 minutes ago, CLDY said:

I don't think I finished the final season of The Good Place. It's on the list. Listen, god, everything's on the list, ok? What if I don't want to feel bittersweet right now?

Yeah get ready to cry bud, it's gonna yank all the heartstrings

I really need AMC to start letting their shows go on to some streaming service the next day. I’m way behind on Better Call Saul. A matter of seasons.

Mandalorian was just terrific. I’m especially glad it’s shown that you just get in, tell a story, and get out in each episode. It breaks from the established norm of “this show is x minutes long.” WandaVision (and surely more Disney+ series) followed suit and I’m so pleased.

The Good Place HAD to be number one. It was just such a unique creature that nailed pretty much everything it tried and it was incredibly ambitious in all that it tried. It will forever be a show that I’m tempted to call my favorite of all time.

Mighty great job, GoGo.

• Like 2

I think I'm 2 seasons behind on Saul now. Pretty sure I got around to like episode 1 of season 4 but never finished it, and I only got around to that because it went up on the AMC website as a sneak preview sort of deal?