EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020: The Results

GoGo Yubari

The Great would've been pretty high on my list if I'd have finished it sooner. Everyone in it is having a great time. Huzzah

For anyone that hasn't watched I May Destroy You, I can't recommend it enough. It's a ground-breaking piece of work and one of the most beautiful, brutal and challenging things I've seen on TV. It's really special. It might get outrageously overlooked during award season, but it'll leave a longer lasting legacy than nearly anything else nominated. 

• Like 1

No comment on most of those, but The Great does seem like a show I’d like if I bothered. I loved The Favourite, so I should like this.

And Staged was just a wonderful little nugget of joy in this weird-ass year. Such a fun way to make use of the time they suddenly had and what little resources they had available. And it’s kinda hard to fuck up when your show is led by that duo at this point. I was surprised to hear they’re doing a second series, but I’ll be happy to watch.

The Great is so good and should have been on more folks' ballots. I've said my piece on that show in the TV thread so I won't fully rehash it, but that cast is killer and the writing is really good. Can't wait for season two.

I was going to make a joke about finally doing an update two days in a row but technically it's Monday now, so whoops! Here's the next batch anyway.

Zbxu2qU.jpg

34 (tie). Big Mouth (46 points) (Last Year: #12)

GUK6mxr.jpg

34 (tie). The Last Kingdom (46 points) (Last Year: NR)

1hY4q0W.jpg

33. I'll Be Gone in the Dark (48 points) (Last Year: NR)

0hsFgIn.jpg

32. RuPaul's Drag Race (50 points) (Last Year: #37)

MwY3AFW.jpg

31. Schitt's Creek (58 points) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020: Don't ever talk trash to Black Jesus.

• Like 2

This was the first time I'd been underwhelmed by a season of Big Mouth. I'm not even sure why, I just didn't get as much out of it, I kind of think the dramatic side of it wasn't as up-to-scratch as normal. 

Also @GoGo Yubari, I'm excited for Season 2, but I definitely think it could've worked perfectly as a mini-series. It ended in such a satisfying way, I don't need more, but I'll happily take more because it's a riot. 

14 hours ago, Josh Mulaney said:

No comment on most of those, but The Great does seem like a show I’d like if I bothered. I loved The Favourite, so I should like this.

And Staged was just a wonderful little nugget of joy in this weird-ass year. Such a fun way to make use of the time they suddenly had and what little resources they had available. And it’s kinda hard to fuck up when your show is led by that duo at this point. I was surprised to hear they’re doing a second series, but I’ll be happy to watch.

season 2 of staged was even more meta than the first. Really wild. Definitely worth a watch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josh Mulaney said:

Good to hear!

Schitt’s Creek looks really good, but my wife can’t get into it and we watch all out TV together. By choice, not force.

I was not hooked on Schitt's Creek. It just sort of slowly grows on you if you keep watching and you find yourself suddenly attached to this weird, rich family. It's the end of Season 2 that I absolutely fell in love with the show. It was great up until then but that was the moment for me.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think those initial couple episodes are the hardest part with that show because the show doesn't really start working until the Roses have at least started to accept that this is their life now and this is where they live. Admittedly, I move very slow with Schitt's Creek so I've only made it to the end of season 2, but I can definitely see that being a big turning point because of what the big moment in that episode effectively is.

According to netflix, I made it to Season 2, episode 12 of Schitts Creek, and I still didn't really enjoy it. That's like 25 episodes of not really being into it, which is quite a lot of time. Maybe I'll shove it on while I'm working when I finish what I'm currently watching. (Due South)

I keep meaning to watch Schitt’s Creek and never getting around to it. There’s just so much media anymore and not enough time in the day. Or the week. Or month. Etc. 

I got about a dozen episodes into Schitt's Creek but as my wife and I like to watch most of our TV together haven't gotten further because she's not very keen on it. We made it through the first 2 seasons of Parks & Rec though so I think I'll use that as a selling point. Just gotta do the hard work early to get to the great stuff.

• Like 1

Gangs of London and The Last Kingdom were high on my list so glad to see them, even though I feel like they should be higher. Gangs of London, especially. But I am 100% all in on anything Gareth Evans does. 

I've seen a lot of Schitt's Creek at a friend's house and liked it. I didn't get very far when I started to watch it myself from the beginning though so it does seem like one of those shows that takes a bit to get going. 

Edited by livid