2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

NYC just confirmed that the private sector rule that is preventing Kyrie Irving from playing home games for the Nets applies for baseball as well.  So no unvaccinated Mets or Yankees can play home games.

Mets had one of the lowest vaccination rates in the league last year - unclear how many of those guys are off the team now.  I believe Brandon Nimmo and JD Davis are the biggest names on the team unlikely to be vaccinated.

For the Yankees, the thought is that most of the heart of their lineup is unvaccinated.  Aaron Judge ignored a question on his vaccination status when asked by a reporter today.

The expectation is that this mandate will be dropped before much longer, possibly even by Opening Day.  But for the time being this will be a potential shitshow.

A's firesale continues with Matt Chapman being sent to the Blue Jays

Anthony Rizzo back to the Yankees.  2 years, $32 million with an opt-out after this year.

Two days after he was thought to be going to the Padres for 5 years, $70 million, Seiya Suzuki signs that same contract with the Cubs instead.

I love the Jays getting Chapman. You'd hope his bat rebounds after a bit of a down year, but he is so fun to watch as a defender at third. Blue Jays could still use an impact left-handed bat, though. Not sure if there is one available though... 👀

Kyle Schwarber to the Phillies. 4 year deal. Of course that lovable ogre had to sign up for 4 more years of killing the Mets.

I was hoping the Mets would make a run at him.  At the risk of sounding spoiled after what has been an exciting offseason...for as improved as their lineup is, they play 81 games in a spacious ballpark and still have no true power hitter outside of Alonso and in a league still based on the long ball, you're running a risk of a lot of wasted pitching performances again.

Right now they seem content to let JD Davis/Dom Smith/Cano split the DH reps and see if someone establishes themselves as a clear every day bat.  And maybe that will happen.  But for a team with a payroll pushing $300 million they probably should eliminate that question mark and get a safe power bat.  As it is right now I still think they're clearly behind the Braves.

3 hours ago, CM Busch said:

A's firesale continues with Matt Chapman being sent to the Blue Jays

Anthony Rizzo back to the Yankees.  2 years, $32 million with an opt-out after this year.

Two days after he was thought to be going to the Padres for 5 years, $70 million, Seiya Suzuki signs that same contract with the Cubs instead.

@Your Mom :w00t:

• Like 1

I've gone from having no interest in this season to being very excited in just 24 hours. Adding Chapman is fun, and the Jays rotation is starting to look pretty strong with Gausman, Berrios, Ryu, Kikuchi, and (probably) Manoah.

I had completely forgot they had extended Berrios. It was completely gone from my mind until I looked up the Jays 40-man roster just now. 

I say this every year but I'm very hyped to try to watch more Baseball games. They're always a good thing to throw on my second screen while I'm playing games or something. I haven't kept up with it since the mid 90's though so a lot of they people playing today aren't that well known to me.

I've been keeping an eye on trades and such but I never know if they're good or bad for my team. Meacon used to tell me that stuff before Kane's past got him.

Freeman is finalizing a contract with the Dodgers.  Felt like it was always either the Dodgers or Braves and any other teams being brought up in rumors were just for leverage.

That lineup is bananas and pretty much turns the Dodgers’ regular season into a 6-month Spring Training before the real games start.

40 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Yeah with the expanded playoffs the big spending teams theoretically can just coast through the regular season like the good NBA teams do.

I wish "big spending" could be the qualifier but as I'd said this morning, I have very real fears that the Mets can turn out to be a (currently) $280 million team that wins like 85 games if everyone stays healthy.  For as amazing as the rotation shapes up, the bullpen looks very suspect and the lineup, while improved, doesn't feel complete.  They need another big thumper and at this stage I don't see where they get it.  So we're back to playing the if game, the biggest of which being IF a whole bunch of guys who underperformed last year go back to playing to the backs of their baseball cards.

Braves and Phillies’ lineups are scary.  I’m sure glad the Mets are fielding the 3rd best lineup in their own division after spending all this money.

Meanwhile Correa goes to the Twins for 3 years, $105 million which makes Lindor’s 10 year, $341 million looks especially awful.