$12.5 million AAV for McNeil feels like a steal.  But it’s a logical move for both sides.  He had two more years of control left and would’ve been heading into free agency ahead of his age 33 season.  He gets a raise over the next two years and guaranteed dollars to hedge against his age.

After seeing the Braves lock up every player under the Sun to below-market deals, it’s kinda nice to finally see the Mets do the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Mets top pitching prospect Matt Allan was viewed as a top 15 talent in the 2019 draft but he fell due to signability concerns.  Mets took him in the 3rd round and paid him a huge bonus, talking him out of college.

He pitched 10 innings in rookie ball later that summer.  Like most prospects he lost 2020 to COVID.  Then had TJS in 2021 which took him 2 years to rehab.  And now he’s undergoing UCL revision surgery, basically a 2nd TJS.  He’ll be Rule 5 eligible next winter despite not throwing a pitch since 2019 and even then it’s no guarantee he’ll be ready by the start of the 2024 season (12-18 month recovery time).

He absolutely made the right call by going pro.  High school pitchers should always take the money.

In some rules news - the ghost runner is back again and now permanent for the regular season.  Still would prefer if it doesn’t start until the 12th inning, but it’s clear the league just wants games done as fast as possible.

Also, they are apparently going to be strictly enforcing both the pitch clocks as well as balks.  Nice knowing you, Nestor Cortes.

I'm not a fan of the ghost runner. I'm not sure how else you speed up the game for extra innings though. Maybe in the 10th inning, you start each count at 1-0... then in the 12th, you start each count at 2-0...  force the pitchers to throw meatballs?

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I actually like the ghost runner because it puts immediate pressure on the pitcher and defence. I was never a fan of marathon games in the middle of the season.

I'm not a fan of the marathon games either, but I think there has to be a better solution. I hate the three on three overtime in the NHL and the shootout, also. I feel like "extra" time in sports should be done under the same rules as regular time. For baseball, maybe just cap it at an extra three innings. If the score is tied after 12, call it a draw and award each team a half-win.

Could create some fun scenarios near the end of the season if two divisional rivals are playing and both of the teams are pushing for the playoffs. Do you, as manager, make the call to go all out and try to win the game or play it safe and risk the other team being able to keep pace with you by ending in a draw?

On 14/02/2023 at 19:18, Justin Buschlander said:

In some rules news - the ghost runner is back again and now permanent for the regular season.  Still would prefer if it doesn’t start until the 12th inning, but it’s clear the league just wants games done as fast as possible.

Also, they are apparently going to be strictly enforcing both the pitch clocks as well as balks.  Nice knowing you, Nestor Cortes.

So there is this new rule that's going to be very interesting. Pitchers are only allowed two "disengagements". If you try to pick someone off and they are safe, that counts as one. So if you try to pick someone off, then step off for whatever other reason, you now have to make sure you get an out if you step off or it's a balk.

Apparently teams are going to test out what this means for a runner on first and third. If the runner at first steps off but doesn't get the guy at first out, it's a balk and the runner scores. 

• Like 1

Padres sign Manny Machado to a new 11-year, $350 million deal.  He will be with the team through his age 40 season.  So that's Machado, Bogaerts, and Tatis all signed to very long-term megadeals in San Diego.

It also means the 2023-24 hitting class is that much weaker, with Ohtani really being the only megastar bat available.  You have to figure the Mets will offer him the most money, but the Dodgers have purposely gotten under their CBT this year so they can make him a massive offer next winter.  If their offer is just short of the Mets, the difference could well be if Ohtani wants to stay out west.  He didn't seriously consider any east coast teams last time but you never know.

Anyone either than those two teams would be a surprise, though.

• Thanks 1

I'm really enjoying the pitch clock so far. I've watched four full Yankee spring training games, and I think the longest one was 2 hours and 40 minutes. The other three were a little under 2 hours and 30. 

Now obviously things will be different in the regular season, and I'm very interested to see how closers and relievers go about it in those late game, big moment spots, where they are trying to close out a game with runners on and they're trying to hurry up to beat the clock. 

Yeah the clock seems really nice so far.  If I have one complaint, I do think there should be a little bit more time before the first pitch to each batter.  Right now, it's just the first batter of an inning that gets some extra time.  Like the idea of everyone getting a few extra seconds to dig in.  But once the AB starts, they should get on with it.