2 minutes ago, Justin Buschlander said:

Having all 30 teams playing on Opening Day was awesome. Should really be that way every year.

Should be this simple. Every team plays Opening Day, there's an off day the day after just in case of rainouts, and then everyone plays Saturday and Sunday. Then the teams that were on the road all flip, come home for Monday home openers, and have Tuesday off as a buffer for that.

• Like 4

It's weird that some teams open with one road series, then go home for their second series while other teams play two series on the road before going home.  Should really just be consistent across the board.  I actually think last year there was a team that had three road series to begin the year, granted the delayed start to the season was the main reason for it as they otherwise would've played a week at home to start.

There's not much to be jealous of the Reds for but the fact they get to have Game 1 at home every single year is pretty cool.  There's just a slightly different vibe to Game 1 vs. Game 7 or 8.

I remember in 2005 the Mets started 0-5 on the road and were losing in the 8th inning of their 6th game before they scored some runs and got the win before going home.  Nothing would've said New York baseball like opening 0-6 and having to do your home opener in front of a demoralized crowd that would've booed half the team during the roster introductions.

There was a very minor "controversy" with the clock in the Mets game yesterday.  Alonso was on 1B.  McNeil stepped in and hit a first pitch foul ball.  Alonso had taken off for 2B on contact and walked back to the base.  McNeil was in the box ready to go and the ump decided Alonso was taking too much time returning to 1B so he charged a strike, putting McNeil in an 0-2 hole.

Showalter came out to argue and the announcers thought it was bullshit because the batter is being punished for something the baserunner is doing.  McNeil ended up lacing a single anyway but had that call been strike 3, it would've gone into his numbers as a strikeout that was no fault of his own.

Thing is, there isn't any way to punish a baserunner.  You have to think of the loopholes.  If there's no punishment you will eventually have guys deliberately taking their sweet time to return to base if the opposing pitcher clearly has a nice rhythm going with the pace of play.

Tough ruling to enforce but seemed like the right call to me.  Gotta crack down hard early in the season until everyone adjusts to the new norm.

• Like 1

I suppose they could punish the base runner by not allowing them to step off the bag until contact is made or the ball is out of the pitcher's hand. Take away their lead-off if they're being tardy about getting back to the bag after a foul ball.

Doesn't punish the hitter, but it could be the difference between landing at second safely or being out... or being able to make it first to third on an outfield hit.

1 hour ago, Justin Buschlander said:

It's weird that some teams open with one road series, then go home for their second series while other teams play two series on the road before going home.  Should really just be consistent across the board.  I actually think last year there was a team that had three road series to begin the year, granted the delayed start to the season was the main reason for it as they otherwise would've played a week at home to start.

There's not much to be jealous of the Reds for but the fact they get to have Game 1 at home every single year is pretty cool.  There's just a slightly different vibe to Game 1 vs. Game 7 or 8.

I remember in 2005 the Mets started 0-5 on the road and were losing in the 8th inning of their 6th game before they scored some runs and got the win before going home.  Nothing would've said New York baseball like opening 0-6 and having to do your home opener in front of a demoralized crowd that would've booed half the team during the roster introductions.

The Jays have three road series before they play at home. They play the Cardinals, the Royals and the Angels before hosting the Tigers at home. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Krabby said:

NFL Safeties watching that highlight with so much jealously that hot tears be running down their faces

He's a dumbass for going down on the field like that, but at the same time I feel like the first security guy is a dick for tackling him the way he did. Its not like he was near the players on in a position to run.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

He's a dumbass for going down on the field like that, but at the same time I feel like the first security guy is a dick for tackling him the way he did. Its not like he was near the players on in a position to run.

I...agree with GhostMachine 😮 Seriously though they didn't have to do him like that

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Justin Buschlander said:

There was a very minor "controversy" with the clock in the Mets game yesterday.  Alonso was on 1B.  McNeil stepped in and hit a first pitch foul ball.  Alonso had taken off for 2B on contact and walked back to the base.  McNeil was in the box ready to go and the ump decided Alonso was taking too much time returning to 1B so he charged a strike, putting McNeil in an 0-2 hole.

Showalter came out to argue and the announcers thought it was bullshit because the batter is being punished for something the baserunner is doing.  McNeil ended up lacing a single anyway but had that call been strike 3, it would've gone into his numbers as a strikeout that was no fault of his own.

Thing is, there isn't any way to punish a baserunner.  You have to think of the loopholes.  If there's no punishment you will eventually have guys deliberately taking their sweet time to return to base if the opposing pitcher clearly has a nice rhythm going with the pace of play.

Tough ruling to enforce but seemed like the right call to me.  Gotta crack down hard early in the season until everyone adjusts to the new norm.

I think with the new clock rule this is absolutely an ok call - encourages teamwork and sportsmanship. Don't want your batting teammate to rack up a free strike? then don't take your sweet time getting back to base. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Justin Buschlander said:

Mets/Marlins game tonight was just 2:09

The days of going out to dinner on a Friday and still having a few innings left to watch when you get home are over.

Just imagine. You can watch your team on Tuesday and still got a full night's sleep before work on Wednesday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, damhausen said:

Just imagine. You can watch your team on Tuesday and still got a full night's sleep before work on Wednesday.

No joke on nothing, as someone who watches 140+ Yankee games a year, it's going to make those West Coast swings so much easier on the eyes.

• Like 3

On 31/03/2023 at 21:05, Justin Buschlander said:

Mets/Marlins game tonight was just 2:09

The days of going out to dinner on a Friday and still having a few innings left to watch when you get home are over.

But...you're a Mets fan. So wouldn't the game pretty much be over with a few innings left, anyway?