4 hours ago, Gabriel said:

There's something going on in his head right now, so I think 3 to 5 starts for Buffalo would be super beneficial for him.

I'm a firm believer in using the minor league options on players when it makes sense, regardless of what they're being paid. Field your best players at the Major League level, even if you've got millions of dollars riding the bus for a few weeks.

I'm not sure who you bring up to take that rotation spot right now, but a hungry arm might give us a few quality starts or force their way onto the permanent roster. You've gotta give guys those opportunities when you've got a player struggling, who can be sent down to regain their confidence, swagger, control or whatever it is that is missing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Bullet dodged in Queens. DeGrom is getting TJ, likely done until 2025.

Yeah, definitely shows that the Mets were justified not wanting to give him such a long term deal. As a fan of his, I really hope for a solid comeback, but its just been injury after injury for him. 

• Like 1

The Mets trusted their assessment with the medicals on both deGrom as well as Kumar Rocker and ended up validated.

This is deGrom’s 2nd TJS and he’d be returning for his age 37 season.  I hope he can recover and regain dominant form, but there’s a real chance he’s done.

• Sad 1

The video of deGrom addressing the media today is ROUGH.  He always seemed so stoic in all his Mets press conferences.  In this one he's clearly trying everything he can to not just burst out into tears.

Even as he said he intends on coming back stronger than ever, he very much looked like a guy who is coming to terms with the fact that he might not recover from this.  Fucking sucks man.  It's a big loss for baseball.

• Sad 3

I'm with you, Busch. I feel like now, more than ever, we're coming to a point where this might be it for Jacob and that really sucks. He's one of my all-time favorite Mets, and its been tough to see him go through so much injury trouble. When he's healthy, I truly believe he's one of the best pitchers in baseball. It's pretty heartbreaking to see him look so shook up. 

• Sad 2

Oh, what's that?  Daniel Vogelbach and his .209 average and .304 slugging starting again in the biggest series of the year a night after 3 K's while Mark Vientos rots on the bench for 3 weeks and counting?

Sorry to keep beating a dead horse but Buck Showalter is either not watching the same team as the rest of the fans, is trying to look like the smartest guy in the room by sticking with the veteran, has genuinely no faith at all in Vientos even though he's not given him a chance and is starting Vogelbach as an FU to the front office.  Or maybe some combination of these things.  But man, Eppler needs to accept that the Vogelbach trade was a failure and DFA him so Buck can't play him anymore. 

Cohen's been remarkably quiet this year compared to his first year as an owner, and while it's good he's been biting his tongue, you'd think that will change soon.  Money can't buy a championship, but in a 6-team per league playoff format and with so many franchises doing everything they can to avoid spending, money should at least be able to buy you a playoff spot.  Really the only way it can't is a catastrophic misallocation of resources.  At a certain point, Cohen's going to be asking where his money went and might have a Steinbrenner-esque meltdown.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Extremely Depressing Report: Stephen Strasburg’s Body Is A Wreck

You might have to open it in a private window to read it, but good lord, I didn't know Strasburg was so banged up and, possibly, might not play anymore

As a Phillies fan, I don't like him because he plays for a direct rival, but reading something like this, I can't help but feel bad and I hope he recovers

Dougherty's sources describe "severe nerve damage"—pain, tingling, and numbness, accompanying virtually any physical activity. In 2020, Strasburg underwent surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome in hopes of alleviating these same issues, and again for thoracic outlet syndrome in 2021. The latter is the surgery referenced in the blockquote up there, involving the removal of one of his ribs and two neck muscles. None of that has brought him any closer to playing baseball, which after all involves quite a bit of standing before you even get to all the other stuff. At this point, getting Stras through a day of normal non-baseball life without pain seems a more urgent and infinitely more reasonable goal than getting him onto the mound again.

• Sad 5

10 hours ago, I Think You Should Busch said:

I've heard numerous fans on WFAN this morning calling for the Yankees to send down Anthony Volpe.

Having just watched Michael Harris break out of a season-long slump against the Mets, yeah, lock in some Volpe-related prop bets for the Subway Series right now.

Orioles fans were starting to question Gunnar Henderson a ton and the last 2 weeks he has been one of the very best hitters in baseball. Yesterday he had the longest HR ever hit to Eutaw St. People lose their minds at these young guys who are not challenged at AAA not immediately being good in the majors.

Major league pitching is hard.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, damhausen said:

Orioles fans were starting to question Gunnar Henderson a ton and the last 2 weeks he has been one of the very best hitters in baseball. Yesterday he had the longest HR ever hit to Eutaw St. People lose their minds at these young guys who are not challenged at AAA not immediately being good in the majors.

Major league pitching is hard.

So many Yankee fans that think Volpe needs to go down to AAA are the same fans who weren't watching Gleyber Torres suck tremendous butt defensively at shortstop. Anthony Volpe can hit .195 all year long, as long as he remains a solid glove at short, and a threat on the bases, that's all I need from that position.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what fans calling for Volpe to be sent down would expect him to accomplish there.  AAA is a bigger deal for pitchers who are needing to face better competition and for fielders to adjust to the increased speed of the game.  Hitters themselves don't generally see much of a difference between AA and AAA pitching which is why it's not unusual for teams to accelerate their top hitting prospects through AAA very quickly if not just skip over it entirely.

Volpe tore the cover off the ball in spring but most importantly showed off a glove that was big league ready right now.  A fully healthy Yankee lineup should have more than enough offense to go around with a glove-first guy hitting 9th.  And even if his average is low, 9 dingers from the shortstop position is a great bonus.

He's still got a 1 WAR off of his defense and power, and the team's 9 games over .500.  If he were actively costing them games it would be one thing, but he's not. 

• Like 2