My favorite part about hypothetical 32 team expansion is working out the new divisions, which is tough to do without knowing where the new cities will be, as that can fluctuate things a lot.

You’d figure they’ll probably go with 8 divisions of 4 teams, which effectively means you have to decide which rivalries to break up.  But I’d much prefer rolling it back to 2 divisions per league.

In a world where 2 playoff teams per league get a bye, it sets up perfectly to allow all 4 division winners to get a pass.  Of course, by the time this all happens I’m sure they’ll be up to 14 or 16 playoff teams and the regular season will feel all the more pointless.

• Like 1

As a Mets fan, I know all too well that an early-season division lead means little.  Let alone in April.  But even in the unlikely scenario where the Rays suddenly became a .500 team starting right now, they'd finish with 92/93 wins.  Yes it's early, but a 20-3 start is such rarefied air where I can't really see how they don't brute force their way to a division title. 

As someone who has multiple long-term bets involving for non-Rays teams winning the East, I've kinda just accepted that money ain't coming back.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Justin Buschlander said:

As a Mets fan, I know all too well that an early-season division lead means little.  Let alone in April.  But even in the unlikely scenario where the Rays suddenly became a .500 team starting right now, they'd finish with 92/93 wins.  Yes it's early, but a 20-3 start is such rarefied air where I can't really see how they don't brute force their way to a division title. 

As someone who has multiple long-term bets involving for non-Rays teams winning the East, I've kinda just accepted that money ain't coming back.

15-7 and 4.5 games out of first is such an absolutely weird place to be as an Orioles fan.

8 hours ago, damhausen said:

15-7 and 4.5 games out of first is such an absolutely weird place to be as an Orioles fan.

I'm going to New Hampshire for a week or so in September, and we're taking a family outing (me, my wife, my in-laws, my daughter-in-law, and her wife) to a game at Fenway in September, with the Orioles as the visiting team. Already have the tickets purchased. What sucks is I'm going on September 9th, and on the 10th they're giving away a free tote bag to the first 7,500 fans.

This will be the first ever MLB game involving AL teams that I've ever been to. I've been to games in Atlanta and Cincinnati, played in stadiums that no longer exist. (Fulton County Stadium and Riverfront Stadium) 

(I've been to lot of minor league games, but not since 1999. The Smokies moved from here to Sevier County after the 1999 season, and I have not been to a game since. But we *may* be getting them back in 2025, and you can bet I'll go to a few games asap once they do.)

Edited by GhostMachine
Spelling error
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, damhausen said:

Batters are 0-32 against Yennier Cano this season, with only one baserunner on a HBP. If you're like "who's that?" I basically forgot he existed too. He was just a throw-in part of the Jorge Lopez trade last summer.

His ERA was 11.5 after 18 innings pitched last year (debut season).

• Haha 1

On 30/04/2023 at 16:35, damhausen said:

Batters are 0-32 against Yennier Cano this season, with only one baserunner on a HBP. If you're like "who's that?" I basically forgot he existed too. He was just a throw-in part of the Jorge Lopez trade last summer.

It has happened. He has allowed a hit.

A’s broadcaster Glen Kuiper said the n-word on the broadcast yesterday and issued an apology during the game.

Yeah, no.  I realize broadcasters will flub and misspeak now and then.  But this is quite literally the worst word you could ever flub, and I don’t know how you do it without it being pretty telling about your subconscious.

He’s gotta go.

• Like 2

I was always pro-pitcher hitting as was tradition, but they could've just moved to Universal DH the day after Bart went deep.  There was no topping that.

Was nice to see him throw out the first pitch yesterday.  Shame about the game itself.  The Mets have now lost series to the Nats, Tigers, and Rockies in the span of two weeks.  Team looks like an unmitigated disaster at the moment.

Thankfully last year showed that winning the division means little, as the Braves seem like they'll coast to 100+ wins and an easy division title.

• Haha 1

I can't believe the Pirates, of all teams, are leading the NFC central and the Cardinals are in last place.

But all's right with the world, because the Yankees are in last place in the AL East.