Bryce Montes de Oca.  Had a cup of coffee last year, likely ticketed for the AAA pen to open the season barring something unforeseen.

The stuff is absolutely filthy, breaking out 100 MPH sinkers at times to go along with 102 MPH heat.

But as you could probably assume, he also has a very high walk rate.  I’m really not sure it’s physically possible to avoid that with his particular combo of delivery and velo.  But the stuff itself…damn.

• Like 1

All these exhibition games with MLB teams vs WBC teams are being played without a clock since they're not using it in the WBC.

And man.  Currently watching the Mets play Venezuela.  2.5 hours into the game, roughly the same length of time most spring games have been played to completion.  And yet with no clock in this game, it's just going into the 7th inning.

2 weeks with the clock is all it took to see how noticeable of a difference the game is without it.  Clocked play is wayyyy better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Haven't watched any games yet, so I have a question:

How does the pitch clock work as far as trying to pick off a runner goes? Does throwing to a base count as a pitch?

You get two disengagements. If you step off a third time, you have to get an out or it's a balk. Clock is reset on a pick off.

• Thanks 1

Team USA's starting pitching is as underwhelming as can be. In fairness, they were gonna have Kershaw, Cortes, and Logan Webb but all had to pull out.

But even beyond those guys, the list of guys who turned down invites is enormous. Manoah, Gausman, Musgrove, Bieber, Cole, Rodon, deGrom, Burnes, Woodruff, McClanahan, Verlander, Scherzer, Wheeler, Nola, Fried, Strider among many others. Some of those guys would've needed to withdraw due to subsequent camp injuries (deGrom, Musgrove) but the point is they all declined.

This isn't anything new, Team USA's roster almost always looks the way it does now - star-studded position players, solid bullpen, mediocre starting pitching. I don't begrudge guys for staying home and getting ready for the season, it's just unfortunate that you're saddling this amazing lineup with guys like Kendall Graveman and Brady Singer.

Ohtani and Darvish had no issues leaving camp to go pitch for Japan. Reigning Cy Young winner Alcantara happily went to go pitch for the DR. Hell, Marcus Stroman was Team USA's ace last time and he decided to switch over to Puerto Rico this time. Short of a massive payday I'm just not really sure there will ever be a way to sell American pitchers on this tourney being worth it.

Awesome to see Team GB at the WBC, even with the record loss. This is a huge, huge deal for British baseball. The income from the tournament alone is about 5/6 times the normal annual income for the BBF.

Obviously none of the players are playing in our leagues over here, which is probably for the best, but you love to see it anyway!

• Like 1

Jose Quintana was removed from a start a couple of weeks ago due to rib discomfort, which was diagnosed as a small tear in his rib.  The thinking was he'd need 6-8 weeks of rest for it to heal on its own before he began a throwing program, likely keeping him out until June or July.

A follow up on his rib today revealed a lesion.  A biopsy subsequently revealed that it was a benign tumor that he'll be getting surgery for to remove.  Timetable for return is "at least" July but who knows, that doesn't really matter at this stage.

Just goes to show that sometimes injuries can lead to blessings in disguise.  Glad they caught it.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2023 at 07:16, Justin Buschlander said:

Team USA's starting pitching is as underwhelming as can be. In fairness, they were gonna have Kershaw, Cortes, and Logan Webb but all had to pull out.

But even beyond those guys, the list of guys who turned down invites is enormous. Manoah, Gausman, Musgrove, Bieber, Cole, Rodon, deGrom, Burnes, Woodruff, McClanahan, Verlander, Scherzer, Wheeler, Nola, Fried, Strider among many others. Some of those guys would've needed to withdraw due to subsequent camp injuries (deGrom, Musgrove) but the point is they all declined.

This isn't anything new, Team USA's roster almost always looks the way it does now - star-studded position players, solid bullpen, mediocre starting pitching. I don't begrudge guys for staying home and getting ready for the season, it's just unfortunate that you're saddling this amazing lineup with guys like Kendall Graveman and Brady Singer.

Ohtani and Darvish had no issues leaving camp to go pitch for Japan. Reigning Cy Young winner Alcantara happily went to go pitch for the DR. Hell, Marcus Stroman was Team USA's ace last time and he decided to switch over to Puerto Rico this time. Short of a massive payday I'm just not really sure there will ever be a way to sell American pitchers on this tourney being worth it.

At least you have the depth to cover it. Try being a Canadian baseball fan! At the last tournament, our "ace" hadn't pitched in three seasons. I think this year's team has three that are retired.

That being said, I absolutely love this tournament and can't get enough of it. Canada actually has a chance to advance past the first round.

Speaking of which, the tournament format is the best it's ever been. The convoluted second round round robin is gone, hopefully forever.

• Like 1

As someone who enjoys the WBC and downplayed the injury risk as being no worse than spring…seeing someone get hurt celebrating which they’d never do in a spring game is a kick in the nads.

I’d say just enjoy the rest of the tournament while you can, because nobody is gonna let their high priced players go ever again.

• Sad 1

I believe this will eventually lead to yet another MLB/union argument over whether or not the teams should be allowed to include out clauses if someone gets hurt in the WBC, ostensibly treating it as a non-baseball injury since it happened outside of their camp.  The owners will push for it, the union understandably won’t allow it.

Cohen himself doesn’t give a shit about spending the money, but the cheaper owners will jump at any chance they can to save some money.

If I’m an owner conscientious of the CBT (and all but a few are) I’d probably argue that I’d happily pay the salary but that it shouldn’t count toward my CBT threshold until they recover.

The Mets won't have MRI results on Diaz until sometime this evening but they are reportedly working under the assumption that he'll be out for the season.

If I'm searching for any sort of silver lining, as incredibly productive as DIaz was (worth 3 wins last year which is pretty ridiculous as a closer), bullpens fluctuate year over year.  Unexpected guys explode for big years, known guys regress, and everything in between.  In 2012, Mariano shredded his knee a month into the season shagging fly balls in the outfield, and the Yankees still won 95 games and got to the ALCS.

There's definitely a mental aspect to this loss which hurts because Diaz just brought so much energy into the ballpark and the clubhouse, losing such a fun part of the team like that for the year is a huge blow.  But if you can point to the loss of a closer as being the reason your season got torpedoed, you were never that good to begin with.

Well, so much for waiting for the evening for MRI results.  Diaz diagnosed with a full patella tendon tear.  Out for the season.

And this is the type of injury where you don't know how his knee will respond to the sheer force when he has to put his body weight on it to uncork 100 MPH fastballs next year.

Just a terrible shame.  I'm sure all the Puerto Rican players that jumped on him yesterday feel like shit.

• Sad 2