As soon as they lost game 6, betting against Philly was easy money. This city is the king of choke artists. We lost two championships on the same day last November! 3 in a 3 month span. The Sixers always choked before that because they had Doc Rivers to always be awful, and the Flyers well... Lol.

1 hour ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

As soon as they lost game 6, betting against Philly was easy money. 

I did the opposite in a example of pure emotional hedging.  I had $10 on the moneyline at the start of the game, threw another $10 when the Phillies were like +350 and still had another turn with the heart of their lineup, and just for the hell of it one last $5 at +800 before the 9th inning when they just needed one baserunner to get to Schwarber.

I deemed $25 worthwhile for a possible karmic jinx of a team I hate, and had they won I would've at least gotten a nice payout for my annoyance.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Meacon Keaton said:

I'm assuming because you are a Cowboys fan, but I don't know how anyone can watch this Arizona team and not pull for them. Corbin Carroll is my next dream Yankee acquisition that poops the bed in the Bronx.

Has nothing to do with me being a Cowboys fan. It has to do with the fact the Rangers have never won the World Series before. Heck, if they ever make it to the Series, I'll be for the Mariners. Unless they're facing the Reds, Cubs or Dodgers. (But won't have a problem if they beat the latter two.) 

2 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

I'm assuming because you are a Cowboys fan, but I don't know how anyone can watch this Arizona team and not pull for them. Corbin Carroll is my next dream Yankee acquisition that poops the bed in the Bronx.

GO LOCAL SPORTS TEAM

A bettor who put $500 on the D-Backs to win the World Series in March stands to win $90,000 if they can finish the job.  Normally with big money bets like this people tell you to just lay tons of money on the other side as a hedge to guarantee some level of winnings.  Texas are favored -174 to win the series, but -162 to win game 1.  I think I'd hedge game 1 and go from there.

That said, this strikes me as the kind of bet where it's an Arizona fan with money to blow who puts in a bet like this for them every spring.  Probably someone who will just ride it out instead of hedging.

Yeah, I’m gonna sound like a curmudgeon but it’s just tough to fathom the state of baseball being such that a team is repeatedly running bullpen games in the playoffs, let alone the World Series.

I mean in essentially a must-win game you’re putting in Miguel Castro in the 2nd inning.  What did you expect?  Can’t say that’s a team that deserves to win it all.

On 28/10/2023 at 00:34, Meacon Keaton said:

This is going to be one of those "Every game is great, but the ratings said nine people watched it" series, isn't it?

Well, turns out the only great game was game 1.  Games 2 and 4 were blowouts and Game 3 was just boring.  Game 5 had promise with the pitchers duel but the D-Backs meltdown in the 9th killed any late drama.

The Dallas and Phoenix markets aren't small but yeah, the ratings are the worst for a World Series in a very long time.  Manfred's actively killing interest in the sport.

• Like 1