The Last of Us **SPOILERS**

Benji

Guys, it is so good.

Spoiler

Sarah's death audio gets me every time in the game and it got me all over again in this. Just broke me.

Enjoyed the scenes they extended/added, all felt like it belonged as part of the story but never changed anything that people would particularly miss.

The scenes in the car before Sarah dies being so faithful to the game made me know I was watching a show made with care.

• Like 6

What's the overall plan for this show? Is it going to just cover the two games or will it continue the story after that? My honest opinion is that the story in the second game was a big step down from the first, both in terms of pacing and writing, but perhaps having someone like Craig Mazin (smug though he may be) could tidy up some of its overdone excesses.

It would cause a lot of complaints from the gaming community, but I think any continuation of the story would be better off in television form. I mentioned in the General Television thread that the necessity of making a game fun leads to some awkward tonal shifts in which a character is breaking down in tears after killing a named character one moment and then slaughtering dozens of anonymous goons without giving a toss the next. Taking that away at least helps give the brutal narrative moments the impact they're going for.

Plus it would mean that Naughty Dog could work on something else. They haven't made a new IP in nearly ten years now. If nothing else, they could at least stop bullying their employees and working them to death.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colly said:

As someone who hasn't played the games but intends to eventually should I avoid the show now and essentially spoil the game? Or am I actually in a good position of going in fresh?

So far, It appears to be a very faithful adaptation of the first game with some small additions to the story that wouldn't feel out of place in the game. So it depends on how you feel about spoilers. If knowing how the story goes beforehand can ruin a game for you, you'll probably want to skip the show for now, play the game and then come back to the show later. An added bonus of that approach is that you'll get to binge a few episodes or even the entire series depending on when you get around to playing the game.

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Thanks 1

I believe someone like Druckmann or something said that the best way to look at this show is an adaptation, yes, but also it's own thing as well. It's not a 1:1 recreation of the video games. There are going to be deviations from the original games (and stuff added in that they wanted to do in the games, like more lore and whatnot).

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

It would cause a lot of complaints from the gaming community, but I think any continuation of the story would be better off in television form.

Maybe, but there's also little to no chance that Sony just willingly lets one of their biggest franchises get told exclusively on television instead of selling Part 3 for $70 a pop.

Also about the new IP thing: their next game is going to be the Factions multiplayer game, so... yeah.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colly said:

As someone who hasn't played the games but intends to eventually should I avoid the show now and essentially spoil the game? Or am I actually in a good position of going in fresh?

I think it probably depends on your perspective. The show won't stick 100% to the games but I think it would be close enough that you basically will know everything going in and I think it's really important to experience the games fresh

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Colly said:

Realistically it'll be yonks before I get to it, and I might as well wait til I go PS5 and play the remake (I presume?). I might just crack on with the TV show. Once I've cleared that backlog too...

You don't have to buy the remake. The PS4 remaster still holds up if you ask me.

I agree and I don't agree with what @Hellraiser said.

On the one hand, yeah the story is pretty much the same and you'd be able to find the PS4 remaster for cheaper right now. But on the other hand, if you get or have a PS5, why not utilize that tech and play something that's specifically made for it while at the same time changing nothing about the original story? Plus, while it's the same engine Naughty Dog has used since the PS3 days, they damn near perfected it with Part 2 and this remake uses that improved version of that engine.

3 minutes ago, tristy said:

I agree and I don't agree with what @Hellraiser said.

On the one hand, yeah the story is pretty much the same and you'd be able to find the PS4 remaster for cheaper right now. But on the other hand, if you get or have a PS5, why not utilize that tech and play something that's specifically made for it while at the same time changing nothing about the original story? Plus, while it's the same engine Naughty Dog has used since the PS3 days, they damn near perfected it with Part 2 and this remake uses that improved version of that engine.

But from what I understand, they don't have a PS5 yet. So I though instead of waiting until they get their hands on one, they might as well play the remaster now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kazuma KiRuki said:

Really enjoyed watching the episode. With the added game of "hey, where is that?" since it was filmed in Calgary! (One of my friends worked for a company that did work on the show, which is neat)

Hmm, I wonder if one of my old high school friends worked on it. He and his twin brother have worked on a ton of Netflix & HBO shows like The Umbrella Academy and The Handmaids Tale. I don't think one of them did because he usually posts it on fb but his other brother does more of this type of work so he very well could have.

It was sooooo good. Knowing exactly what was coming didn't dampen the emotional impact of any of it. 

Personally I would love to see season two/three/four flesh out the years between TLOU1 and TLOU2. There is enough of a gap there, plus you have the flashback scenes and ultimately the TLOU2 story to guide you along the way. I loved the second game and thought the story was fantastic as well, maybe not quite up to the first one but that's understandable considering how good that was.

I've read that Bruce Straley, co-director of the first game, didn't get any credit or acknowledgement in the television series. While it's not a legal requirement, I think that's rather unfair. From everything I've heard, Straley was far easier to work with than Neil Druckmann, with the latter pushing the exploitative working environment at Naughty Dog to a much greater extent.