The Last of Us **SPOILERS**

Benji

19 hours ago, tristy said:
  Hide contents

I think the game's ending is a cop out, personally. It leaves doubt about the cure, so players can justify Joel's actions by pointing at the fact that it might not have worked.

I've heard this rumor too, and I'm good with it. It gets right to the central question, and puts the cure reasoning to the side. It's a sure thing, they can make it (but let's not talk about distribution...), but the real question was always "would you sacrifice someone you care about to save everyone else?".

As long as they have Joel lie to Ellie after all of it and tell her they couldn't do it, we're good IMO. That's a key piece of Part 2. The doctors never got Ellie's consent, sure, but neither did Joel, and Part 2 shows she wanted to sacrifice herself because she's of the opinion that it would have made her life matter. And Joel took that away, because he doesn't want to lose someone else.

Goddamnit Part 2 is so fucking good.

Spoiler

There's no real way to be 100% that the cure would work, though. If there was a way to test and confirm it first, they wouldn't need to sacrifice Ellie at all.

FWIW, I never got the sense playing the game that the ambiguity was meant to excuse Joel or even be a factor in his decision: he would have done the exact same thing regardless.

^ (game and likely last episode spoilers)

• Like 2

On 09/03/2023 at 08:14, Benji said:

Pretty sure that won't happen as they want to end it at the exact same point as the games.

Regards to runtime, what is there to show?

Hide contents

That section of the game minus Joel massacring the Fireflies is very short. You have the giraffe, Ellie knocked out, some chat with Marlene, mass genocide of fireflies, then Joel saving Ellie and the closing scenes. It doesn't take that much time.

My one concern is another spoiler I read that they confirm 100% that the cure will work. For me that takes away a lot of nuance over Joel's decision and makes it a much less interesting dilemma and leaves too little down to the viewer/player to decide if what he did is right or wrong.

Spoiler

Going to double spoiler tag in case people do or don't want to know regarding whether it is confirmed that the cure works.

Spoiler

It is not confirmed that the cure works. 

• Like 2

Season finale spolers:

Spoiler

So they actually went and faithfully adapted the one-man-army thing from the game. And they made TV-Joel look worse than his game-counterpart by having him murder people who have already surrendered or who are lying on the ground injured and can't defend themselves. I didn't expect that.

Also Marlene's explanation of how the cure works is bullshit, right? I do remember instances of Ellie getting attacked by infected.

Edited by Hellraiser

5 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

I'm not looking forward to the inevitable shitstorm that will commence should they be as faithful in adapting the 2nd game as they were with the first one.

I am! Especially now that they are saying the 2nd game will be told in more than one season. It's gonna be beautiful. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Baddar said:
  Hide contents

"I guess time heals all wounds" "It wasn't time that did it" wasn't in the game, was it? I feel like I'd remember it if so. Joel had me teary eyed even before that.

Spoiler

That whole scene and reveal wasn't in the game, no. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/03/2023 at 19:55, LL! said:

I am! Especially now that they are saying the 2nd game will be told in more than one season. It's gonna be beautiful. 

I'm wondering if it Season Two just ends with what kicks off Last Of Us 2. Season 3/4 from the different perspectives.

• 2 months later...