Metal Gear

Benji

23 minutes ago, Benji said:

So the MGS Collection releases in little over a week, who is looking forward to a run through? Not sure what order to play in, feeling MGS1 as my logical starting point.

That's what I'm planning to start with (After spider 2). I think I'd start the original Metal Gears to have experienced it but i know how janky they were so probably won't persevere with them!

• Like 2

I hope the collection works well enough because the extras are especially enticing for someone like me. Having all the manuals, strategy guides and graphic novels as part of the package is great, but the thing I'm most interested in is the inclusion of Metal Gear Solid Integral.

For those who don't know, Integral is a version of Metal Gear Solid that was never released outside Japan. By and large, it's the same game western audiences got, but with a few additions. First, there's a new "Very Easy" mode that gives you a silenced MP5 with unlimited ammunition right from the start of the game. It's not something most people would need because the game isn't especially difficult anyway, but running and gunning through everything is probably quite fun.

More interestingly, once you've completed the game at least once, Integral has the option to play through most of the game in first-person mode. Unlike MGS's regular first-person view, you can still use your weapons, which is something that otherwise can't be done unless you play the Twin Snakes remake. There's also a special "alternate round" mode you can select for subsequent playthroughs, which changes the guards' patrol patterns and gives you a few alternate camera angles during cutscenes. It should be a really good way for veterans to experience the game in a different way.

I also saw that you can tinker with a virtual memory card in the game menus. It lets you add game save data from Konami's other games so that you can hear Psycho Mantis' bonus mind-reading dialogue.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

I'm just sad Ghost Babel isn't included. I had that on my old Gameboy and loved it even if it isn't canon.

I agree that this would be a good addition. Snake's Revenge isn't canon either, and strictly speaking, neither is the NES version of the first Metal Gear.

A couple of "in the know" members of the games media have said that MGS 4 will be in the second collection, whenever that comes out, which is great news. That game has been stuck on PS3 for too long.

• Like 6

Just now, Your Mom said:

I'm not sure when I'll play but I'm actually looking forward to the old NES games. Curious how different the story can be that Kojima went out of his way to say they aren't canon

I'm not too positive on the first Metal Gear; the essence is kind of the same, but they had to make some changes to it compared to the MSX version. 

Spoiler

There also isn't a Metal Gear :shifty: 

Snake's Revenge though is entirely a fabrication.

Yes, the original Metal Gear is mostly the same story-wise on NES and MSX, but with a few things removed from the NES version due to the technical limitations of the platform. Snake's Revenge was made without Kojima's knowledge, but it's somewhat historically significant as it encouraged him to make a "true" Metal Gear sequel that otherwise wouldn't have been his top priority. In a way, it was the catalyst for the property becoming a series instead of a one-off game.

22 hours ago, stokeriño said:

I briefly looked at this, but I know that I'd basically only want it for the first MGS so cannot really justify the expense.

The games are being released separately as well. It's still probably expensive for a single game that's 25 years old, though.

Oh god...it looks so good

• Like 1

On 15/10/2023 at 17:04, Bobfoc said:

Yes, the original Metal Gear is mostly the same story-wise on NES and MSX, but with a few things removed from the NES version due to the technical limitations of the platform. Snake's Revenge was made without Kojima's knowledge, but it's somewhat historically significant as it encouraged him to make a "true" Metal Gear sequel that otherwise wouldn't have been his top priority. In a way, it was the catalyst for the property becoming a series instead of a one-off game.

So is Snake's Revenge considered non-canon, then?

I played the original on the NES back in the day, but its the only Metal Gear game I've played. I own V: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Paradox, but have not bothered to install them because I don't have the time to play them.