Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well its been released in Japan. US date has been put back till the winter. European date until something within the next 15 years is a good estimate.

And its been leaked onto the internet before that. Which I have on my computer and have watched twice now.

There is essentially no story. Well there is, its just very poorly told and merely an excuse to show off, I must say, some absolutely gorgeous and amazing looking action sequences. Characters from FF7 are more or less reduced to cameo roles with the exception of a few. Aerith/s role feels like something that had no thought behind it. Theres still no real closure on a lot of stuff. Reno and Rude are reduced to poor attempts at humour.

Kadaj is a very cool villain I have to admit though. The action sequences, I adore, they are mind blowingly amazing. Some suprise appearances from certain characters are admirable as well.

Overall, I think that the movie is quite good really, despite the faults. It doesn't work very well as a sequel to FF7, but as something that you can just sit back and watch, its actually quite good. Ignore the story, or lack of, and just watch Cloud just generally kick massive amounts of ass.

Im not disappointed, Square have several games in the pipeline that should provide closure on a lot of details that I feel should have been in the movie, so that doesn't bother me much. It just something thats very hard to not be impressed with because of the visuals and the action.

Well its been released in Japan. US date has been put back till the winter. European date until something within the next 15 years is a good estimate.

And its been leaked onto the internet before that. Which I have on my computer and have watched twice now.

There is essentially no story. Well there is, its just very poorly told and merely an excuse to show off, I must say, some absolutely gorgeous and amazing looking action sequences. Characters from FF7 are more or less reduced to cameo roles with the exception of a few. Aerith/s role feels like something that had no thought behind it. Theres still no real closure on a lot of stuff. Reno and Rude are reduced to poor attempts at humour.

Kadaj is a very cool villain I have to admit though. The action sequences, I adore, they are mind blowingly amazing. Some suprise appearances from certain characters are admirable as well.

Overall, I think that the movie is quite good really, despite the faults. It doesn't work very well as a sequel to FF7, but as something that you can just sit back and watch, its actually quite good. Ignore the story, or lack of, and just watch Cloud just generally kick massive amounts of ass.

Im not disappointed, Square have several games in the pipeline that should provide closure on a lot of details that I feel should have been in the movie, so that doesn't bother me much. It just something thats very hard to not be impressed with because of the visuals and the action.

It's not intended as THE sequel, trust me, the Ultimate Collection is the closure.

Just finished watching it. I was always a bigger fan of FF6 than I was of FF7, and thought FF7 was overrated by lots of people, but this is one damn impressive flick no matter how you slice it. The animation is breathtaking, and the hyperreality style meshes perfectly with the fights and action.

Also, the attention to detail is amazing. When Tifa wins that fight, and her cell phone rings at the end of it, her ringtone is the FF7 victory theme. My jaw hit the floor at that one. Big, big round of applause to everyone involved.

Edited by Heel Turn

Edited by Xero Gravity

Just finished watching it.  I was always a bigger fan of FF6 than I was of FF7, and thought FF7 was overrated by lots of people, but this is one damn impressive flick no matter how you slice it.  The animation is breathtaking, and the hyperreality style meshes perfectly with the fights and action.

Also, the attention to detail is amazing.  When Tifa wins that fight, and her cell phone rings at the end of it, her ringtone is the FF7 victory theme.  My jaw hit the floor at that one.  Big, big round of applause to everyone involved.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I saw this movie with no translation whatsoever and thoroughly enjoyed it. There's not much I can add to Heely's post as he pretty much covered what I wanted to cover in the sense of attention to detail and perfect blend of action and suspension of disbelief. I recommend anyone to try and watch this as soon as possible if you are an FF7 fan because at least you'll have a sense of what's going on even if it isn't translated. Sure, there are things I'd like to know, and I can wait until the US release to find out. For now, I was thoroughly satisfied with this movie and any FF7 fan will be crazy not to see it.

Of course there's a story to it. Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo are searching for the kids affected by Geostigma and the remains of Jenova to bring about another Reunion to "get back at the planet" for hurting them. Sure the film focuses primarily around Cloud, but that's because he's really the only of of the group that is affected by what is happening thanks to his connection to them. Then it changes slightly when the end comes around and instead of getting back at the planet, they (or he mostly) want to continue what Jenova used to do before and use the planet as transport to find other worlds to have their way with.

Agreed 100% with FunkAsPuck pretty much, except for the part with the liking (and Kadaj :P ), I didn't really like this...all the flaws just made me unable to enjoy the movie. I went in with the mindset that this was IT, what with being hyped by everyone and all, so I guess it has something to do with me not being able to enjoy it.

Ending fighting scene was the coolest thing ever though. Nearly cried in the beginning too, very nice.