American Dad

Your Mom

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it may not have been as funny as expected, but rarely are pilots ever funny.

I must say the scene with the Buffalo was the most random and surreal scene I could imagine and had me in tears. If anyone can get my a still of that Buffalo I will be forever grateful.

Guest Mr McFarlane

The wife's babble at the school was pretty funny, but you can tell that this was meant to be a side attraction to Family Guy's circus.  It was meh, but I'd probably watch again due to my faith in McFarlane's comedic style.

Tonight's Simpsons, on the other hand, kicked fucking ass.

FUCK ME! I was looking at the channel guide for what was on after the Super Bowl and I saw "American" and I for some reason forgot about American Dad and thought it was that stupid fucking American Idol. Dammit.

Oh well, doesn't sound like I missed much, but really the first episode of Family Guy wasn't THAT great either. There are a couple of fantastic jokes, including Jemima's Witnesses and the Kool-Aid Man, but it's nowhere near the pinnacle of Family Guy greatness.

I thought it was funny. It established the characters (even though I can't remember there names). I liked the fish with the German guys brain in it, that made me crack up. And the scene where the German guy's body with the fish brain went off the ski jump was hilarious! Oh, and that buffalo scene was amazing.

Oh, and with the Simpson, all the parts with Yao Ming were hilarious, and LeBron saying having an omelette for dinner was the greatest moment in his life reminded me of the episode of Clerks where the NBA All-Stars were the jury and they thought $5 a day and sleeping in a hotel was amazing.

I can sum up my feelings about this travesty of a show in just three words, "it fucking sucked". There wasn't anything funny about it, and if I wanted to watch Family Guy, I'd watch Family Guy. Hopefully Fox does what they do best and pulls their super quick trigger on that floating turd.

People have to remember that it's the Family Guy staff without Garrett Donovan, Neil Goldman, Rickey Blitt and Chris Sheridan. Goldman and Donovan may have left after season 2, but Blitt and Sheridan are really the driving force behind Family Guy (except for Seth obviously). That's 4 top tier writers who aren't involved, so expecting Family Guy calibre comedy was a bit presumptuous. As the show stands, it was funny. I still can't get over the fact that no one's mentioned the Boy Meets World reference yet.

I agree about them trying too hard....but like someone smentioned.....The Simpsons episode was great!!

In short:

American Dad = t3h GHEY.

In longer form:

I'll be surprised if American Dad lasts six episodes. Unlike Family Guy, though, I don't see this one becoming a cult hit despite that.

Eh- I don't care. My team won (GO PATS!), we had a cool Super Bowl party (including trampolines, firebreathing, and a live funk band), and I got cool balloons. I'm happy.

*smiles like pseudo-special kid*

The whole thing felt a little TOO much like Family Guy for my tastes, right down to the talking pet with a thing for the wife. Trying a bit too hard is right...although I did chuckle when Stan blew the hell out of the toaster.

And did anyone else snort their beer during the Homer v. Mario encounter? Point and laugh if you must, but it fucking burned, lemme tell ya.