Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

Guest strongarm85

It depends. If your playing one of the 3rd generation games I would hold off on that because it will never learn any more moves that arn't TM moves. If your playing D/P Shiftry learns Leaf Storm at level 49 but doesn't learn anything before that.

Of course if your just going for Pokedex and you don't plan on using it later then go ahead and evolve it.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest strongarm85

Well, be sure to evolve it before level 49 so that it can learn Leaf Storm (which is basically the grass version of overheat).

The next moves you have to look forward to him for the time being is Fake Out, Torment, Feint Attack, Razor Wind, Swagger, and Extrasensory(49).

Fake out is basically a free hit at the beginning of the battle. It always hits first and it has a high success at causing Flinching. You can only use it on the first turn of the battle though.

Torment prevents your opponent from using the same move twice in a row.

Feint attack is a Dark Swift attack.

Razorwind is a normal attack with some decent power, but it takes two turns to use it

Swagger can be usefull in a pinch if you've got a high defense.

Extrasensory is a decently strong psychic attack that causes flinching, but Nuzleaf doesn't learn it until level 49 and I don't think you can learn both attacks. Maybe you can though since its a stone evolution.

Its up to you though. If you evolve it now it'll have a lot higher stats, but it wont learn any moves until level 49 which might eat up a few TMs.

So..for someone that's only really played the Red version, what would be a good next game to play to get accustomed to all of this new stuff? I'm of the old school when there were only 150/151 Pokemon.

So..for someone that's only really played the Red version, what would be a good next game to play to get accustomed to all of this new stuff? I'm of the old school when there were only 150/151 Pokemon.
If you have a choice, get FireRed or LeafGreen. It's a remake of the original Red/Blue, but adds in extra Pokemon.

Or just jump right in to Diamond/Pearl. It's all the same game, really. Anything new is explained, so you're not just in the deep end...

Guest strongarm85

Yeah, just get Diamond and Pearl. You'll find a lot of unfamiliar Pokemon, but all the features are explained in the game and its still uses a lot of the mechanics from the old games.

There are only 17 types (2 more than red, blue and yellow). The only two new types are Dark and Steel. Dark is like an anti psychic type. Steel is basically like Rock accept that its weak against Fire, and strong against ground and grass.

There are a few things that have changed the most though.

1. is 2 on 2 battles. You occasionally run into those. They're still pretty simple though and you'll have fun with them.

2. In each of the games they keep coming out with new type combinations which makes things less cut and dry than before. For instance in the last generation there was a Pokemon named Lotad that is a grass/water type. Its only weaknesses are to poison and bug types

3. Pokemon breeding makes Ditto one of the most useful pokemon ever since it can reproduce with absolutely every single kind of Pokemon there is accept most of the legendaries.

Sinnoh was just as bad - Heatran's strong(er) thanks to the Steel type that cuts the Water weakness slightly...

Na, its still X2 weak against water. Plus its a legendary so rightfully you shouldn't use it.

A-hem.

Legendaries are fine. Ubers are not. There's a pretty drastic difference between the two. For example, Heatran hates Earthquake, to a lesser extent Earth Power, and pretty much any decent Fighting move. It also hates Water moves, and any defensive Water type can take it on fairly easily, such as Milotic or even Tentacruel. Also, Blissey (as usual for a Special-based Pokemon) is a fucking pain in the ass. On the flipside, Giratina for example takes pretty much everything you can throw at it and laughs, unless you're using something like Darkrai (also an Uber). There are several legendaries who aren't broken enough to be chucked into the Uber tier (like Celebi; can you say weaknesses?), and so are viable members of a regular team.

I can go on if you like.

Guest strongarm85

Sweet! I found the Feebas spot on my Sapphire Game. I've caught 4 so far and have 3 females and a male. I'm going probably catch like 3 or 4 more to make sure I have plenty and start working on Milotic

Guest strongarm85

Okay, well the nice part is that I the spot is in an easy to remember place on my game. So that helps. Also I managed to catch one with the right nature (if they like dry pokeblock its twice as effective giving it blue or indigo pokeblock which are dry). So now all I have to do is figure out how many of the blue and indigo pokeblock barries I have go to work.

Find the Berry Master, and use the Pamtre berries. You should only need 4 PokeBlocks to max it out, depending on how good you are at mixing. The Master is like a sniper, only with candy instead of bulletty death...

Berry Master: Route 23

Pamtre Berry: Say "CHALLENGE CONTEST" to the Berry Master's Wife.

Guest strongarm85

Very nice, I actually got a Milotic last night though. And then I played on for a couple more hours, did a few trainer eyes, evolved a magicarp into a Gyrados, and then I forgot to save. But thankfully I did save before I used up all my pokeblock to try to evolve Feebas so I immediately evolved it into Milotic again. It was really strange though. I'm usually OCD about saving every few minutes.

Not bad considering last night was the first time I ever decided to go after Feebas or try to evolve one into Milotic, ever.

Edited by strongarm85

• 2 weeks later...
Guest strongarm85

Well I just got my hands on a copy of Pokemon Diamond!

So far I have just managed to completely and utterly destroy the first gym leader using an Abra named Sue (Fantastic Four Reference) who has a fighting type hidden power.

• 1 month later...
Guest strongarm85

I don't suppose anyone has any tips for having a first encounter with Latias? I plan on masterballing it, so hopefully the first is also the last.