Music Stars

Guest Wrestling_Man

Guest Wrestling_Man

OK, I was watching When Metallica Ruled the World and they were talking about Cliff Burton and I was thinking about how great he was. But what musician left us too soon before they were big? No doubt Cliff Burton is up on that list, but so is Randy Rhoads, if he hadn't died, then Ozzy might be even bigger then he ever is, that and he might not have ever had his own TV show.

Guest George

Kurt Cobain didn't left too soon, but he didn't left too late. He left just in time.

The same with John Lennon and Jaco Pastorius.

Freddie Mercury left too soon, same with Led's drummer.

But of course, if Cliff Burton had not died that soon, I'm pretty sure they would have had much more amazing albums like Ride the lightning, kill em all and Master of puppets.

I can't remember that many right now, but Cliff Burton will always be #1 for me on the list of musicians who died too soon.

Jeff Buckley.

Although judging by a lot of the unfinished tracks on "Sketches For...My Sweetheart The Drunk" he was about to disappear up his own arse, he still had more than enough potential to become a massive star, and even before he was signed, Sony saw him as the next "heritage artist" like Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen.

Jeff Buckley definitely

I'd say Kurt Kobain, but more because I was interested in the poppier/more acoustic direction he wanted to take Nirvana into....obviously, it woulda killed thier legacy, but meh.

Dave Williams...not because Drowning Pool are a great band, just because he seemed like a nice person, and was pretty alright at what he did.

Bon Scott.

Yes, Brian Johnson really put AC/DC on the map with "Back in Black", I just wonder what the band would've done had Bon not gotten drunk that fateful night in February of 1980.

Say what you will about the musical ability of John Simon Ritchie, he was certainly one who died well before his time. He was only a 21 year old kid, and in true rock and roll fashion he overdosed on heroin. It's unfortunate that his relationship with Nancy Spungen turned his life into a downward spiral both professionally and personally. It seemed to destroy his freindship with John Lydon, and she was the catalyst of his Mr. Ritchie's junky lifestyle. Had our good friend John not met Nancy, he'd probably had remained relatively sober, focused more on his music with the Sex Pistols, and also would not have had to face murder charges. The story behind his killing of Nancy is still unclear, nobody really knows the full story of how she was killed. It's a secret both Sid and Nancy took to their graves.

Darby Crash is another old favorite of mine who died way too young. At the age of 22 Darby, like Sid Vicious, overdosed on heroin. Not many people are aware of how great the Germs could have really been. Darby was really an incredible writer, and perhaps one of the most intelligent people among the LA punk scene. There is no telling how good the Germs could have become had Darby lived a full life. The Germs can also be credited with kick starting Pat Smear's musical career. You may remember Pat Smear from his work with the Foo Fighters, Nirvana's unplugged, and other bands within the alternative rock scene.

Guest Bluesman

Robert Johnson, as well as Duane Allman. Although I have a hunch Gregg would have kicked him out of the band eventually, because Gregg seems to be that kind of dickhead.

Say what you will about the musical ability of John Simon Ritchie, he was certainly one who died well before his time. He was only a 21 year old kid, and in true rock and roll fashion he overdosed on heroin. It's unfortunate that his relationship with Nancy Spungen turned his life into a downward spiral both professionally and personally. It seemed to destroy his freindship with John Lydon, and she was the catalyst of his Mr. Ritchie's junky lifestyle. Had our good friend John not met Nancy, he'd probably had remained relatively sober, focused more on his music with the Sex Pistols, and also would not have had to face murder charges. The story behind his killing of Nancy is still unclear, nobody really knows the full story of how she was killed. It's a secret both Sid and Nancy took to their graves.

Darby Crash is another old favorite of mine who died way too young. At the age of 22 Darby, like Sid Vicious, overdosed on heroin. Not many people are aware of how great the Germs could have really been. Darby was really an incredible writer, and perhaps one of the most intelligent people among the LA punk scene. There is no telling how good the Germs could have become had Darby lived a full life. The Germs can also be credited with kick starting Pat Smear's musical career. You may remember Pat Smear from his work with the Foo Fighters, Nirvana's unplugged, and other bands within the alternative rock scene.

Brad Nowell. At least most of the aforementioned people got to enjoy fame. Brad died just as Sublime was growing on people. Although his music was often lighthearted, there was definitely poigancy, especially in songs like "Pool Shark".

Sony saw him as the next "heritage artist" like Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen.

I dunno if Jeff Buckley could've fitted into that mould, Springsteen and Dylan have just got something that Buckley didn't really have. I can't say what it is but I think Jeff Buckley was just destined to be another son of a folk singer like Rufus Wainwright is.

I think Roy Orbison departed too soon, his career was on the up again in the late '80's. It would've been great to see what he could've done. Buddy Holly is another, I mean with the great body of work he left behind him just think what he could've done had he not died in that plane crash. A few other names could be mentioned like Phil Lynott or maybe Warren Zevon...I know he was in his fifties when he died(and lived a Jim Morrison lifestyle longer than Jim Morrison) but I'd love to have seen what else he could've done. Of course Hendrix, Marley, Lennon are obvious choices.

Sony saw him as the next "heritage artist" like Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen.

I dunno if Jeff Buckley could've fitted into that mould, Springsteen and Dylan have just got something that Buckley didn't really have. I can't say what it is but I think Jeff Buckley was just destined to be another son of a folk singer like Rufus Wainwright is.

I think Buckley could easily have been as big as Springsteen or Dylan in time, his voice was one of the best I've ever heard, he was a fantastic looking guy, incredibly charismatic and his song-writing may not have been the best, but was more than adequate and would have definitely improved in time.

And although Tim Buckley has a bigger following now than Loudon Wainwright III, as far as I'm aware, I think Jeff could have easily risen out of his father's shadow moreso than Rufus Wainwright, as Jeff's style was further removed from Tim's than Rufus' is to Loudon's, and he looked more likely to expand in different musical directions.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Marvin Gaye and Barry White, these guys will never really die due to the massive hits they had, but they're like those old guys that you always like to see just there growing old.