'Concept' songs

Lord Nibbler

List some.

2Pac - Me and My Girlfriend (Pac rhymes about his gun)

Nas - I Gave U Power (written from the perspective of a gun)

Nas - Rewind (tells a story, backwards)

Jay-Z - Meet the Parents (about a father who meets, and kills, a man without realising it was his son)

Eminem ft. Dr. Dre - Guilty Conscience (Em and Dre play the angel and devil on the shoulders of three people)

Eminem - Stan (raps as himself and as an obsessed fan)

Cunninlynguists ft. Masta Ace - Seasons (describing the development of hip-hop as seasons)

Common - I Used To Love H.E.R. (raps about hip-hop as if it were a girl)

GZA - Fame (incorporates celebrity names into the lyrics; "They was told not to ride in Patty's hearse and stay out of Charles mansion...")

50 Cent - A Baltimore Love Thing (rapping from the perspective of heroin)

Those are all rap songs, but feel free to post any songs you consider "concept" songs.

Edited by Jimmy the Exploder

The entire Iced Earth Something Wicked This Way Comes album. The concept is that of an all-powerful being born thousands of years ago that wanders the earth and leads to the downfall of civilizations, etc.

In other words, he's like an instigator that started the historical wars and events that we read about today.

Alot of Dead Kennedy's songs are sung from the villian's perspective, in a satirical fashion.

The Rotters perform a song called "Please Don't Send Me To the Delousing Showers" which is from the perspective of people entering prison for the first time. The title of the song is in reference to the cleansing of the convicts before they are assigned to a cell.

Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers "Chinese Rocks" is written about a junky's lifestyle. Johnny sings about his property being in the pawn shop, his girlfriend crying in the shower stall, and meeting with his pals to go and buy some "Chinese Rocks". The song was originally written by Dee Dee Ramone, but he gave it to Johnny because the content didn't seem appropriate to for a Ramones song.

The entire Iced Earth Something Wicked This Way Comes album. The concept is that of an all-powerful being born thousands of years ago that wanders the earth and leads to the downfall of civilizations, etc.

In other words, he's like an instigator that started the historical wars and events that we read about today.

Edited by SkinMySenses

Lots of Strung Out's songs are this way (Lots are experiences Jason Cruz has went through but he always sings them form the perspective or about someone else).

Songs like;

Six Feet (The first line says it all "A family man in the midst of a total breakdown" There's an amazing interpretation on the boards about some French shit or something)

Rottin' Apple (Man who's worn and tired. However can also be analysed to be about longetivity, music getting old, stuck in a downward spyral. Which also ties in with how Strung Out re-invent themselves for every album)

Barfly (Based on a movie based on real life. So technically based on a real life incident. Can't remember exactly but it's about a drunken homeless guy who is an amazing poet. He gets recognised and starts becoming famous however he'd much rather lie in the gutter and drink himself to death than become a success)

Katatonia (Man in a catotonic state. Describing it as if being in an oppressive relationship but if he loses her then he can't go on, but being with her is also destroying him)

Lost Motel (People in different rooms in the motel dreaming of being somebody in the other rooms who on the outside look like they have a care-free life. Yet everyone wants to become someone else. When they should be happy for who they are.)

I'm pretty sure everyone has done something like this at one time or other.

Canibus' You Don't Wanna Play No More.

From what I can make out, it's about some guy (with a name I can't spell) that goes to meet a cop that arrested his brother, and they both get shot by the cop and die.

Or something.

Whilst, if memory serves, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" in its entirety up until "A Day in the Life" is supposed to be a concert by said fictional band, the only three tracks that really adhere to this are "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band," "With a Little Help from My Friends," and "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band (Reprise)." Still, those count for the Beatles. (And I'd say "A Day in the Life" counts too but I suck at describing the concept there.)