Official Transfer Thread

Guest The Real Deal

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sir Alex Ferguson has been given the go-ahead to sign Michael Owen after the England striker bowed to the inevitable and accepted he has no future at Real Madrid.

Owen has effectively been relegated to fifth choice at the Bernabéu following the purchase over the weekend of the Brazilian pair Robinho and Julio Baptista. While Real will not transfer-list Owen, they will not stand in his way should he opt to leave and though they may test United's resolve by asking for £17m, are likely to accept a fee of around £11m, making a profit of £3m on what they paid Liverpool last summer.

The scramble to bring him back to the Premiership will revolve around United, Arsenal and the 25-year-old's former club, Liverpool, though Old Trafford increasingly appears the most viable destination. There is support within the Merseysiders' boardroom to bring Owen back to Anfield, though the European champions lack the funds to sign him permanently and would only consider moving for him on a long-term loan basis.

However, the Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger last night appeared to distance himself from the player when he told Sky: "We have not made a bid. At the moment I am not looking for a striker, but other areas I am looking at."

While United had not expected to make a major signing this summer after the arrival of Wayne Rooney last year, Malcolm Glazer's purchase of the club has increased their clout in the market.

The Glazers have ensured Ferguson has around £12m available to add to his squad and, while he remains tempted to bid for the Germany midfielder Michael Ballack of Bayern Munich as a successor to Roy Keane, the manager is aware that Owen would fall just within his budget.

Indeed, Ferguson has experimented with Alan Smith in midfield during United's Asia tour, effectively freeing up another place for a striker to compete alongside Ruud van Nistelrooy, Rooney and Louis Saha next season.

United's budget will not stretch to cover both Owen's and Ballack's signings, though the German is out of contract next summer and United may opt to wait until he is a free agent before signing him.

For Owen, the need to play regularly is paramount with next year's World Cup finals in mind. The prospect of becoming a virtually permanent substitute behind Ronaldo, Robinho, Baptista and Raul would prove intolerable, with Owen having accepted the time has come for him to move on in search of regular first-team football.

van Nistelrooy's out of form, they're moving Smith to midfield and Saha has neither had the chance or achieved any kind of form since moving from Fulham. Therefore they could do with a new striker and an Owen / Rooney strikeforce could also mean good things for England at the World Cup!

The only team I can see him possibly joining is Manchester United. He won't go to Newcastle because theres no Champions League football, Benitez has already kicked him out of Liverpool once, Arsenal have Henry, Bergkamp, Reyes, Van Persie etc and he won't go to Chelsea because Mourinho has said he doesn't like his type of striker. He prefers big strong center forwards who rarely score by the looks of it.

Owen and Rooney striking up a regular partnership would do wonders for England I agree.  But I can't imagine it happening.  I just can't see Michael Owen running out the tunnel in the red of Manchester United.

A few years ago, people would have said the same about Alan Smith I'm sure. Owen will want to play in the World Cup and the Champions League, so regular first team football is needed, and that rules Newcastle out.

Edited by The Rock Box

I was stunned when I heard the news this morning. Especially when it turns out these are more than just rumours and there's actually a chance Owen could be coming back the Premiership. I can't imagine him playing for Utd but at the same time I wouldn't object to it. I wouldn't put him in the starting eleven over Nistelrooy and Rooney though.

Sky Sports are saying Utd would probably have to get rid of a striker first before signing Owen. I'd vote for Saha. He's never really impressed me.

Hoping he goes to Manchester United. That strike force would be awesome too. In Spain Owen actually proved he could still reach top form here and there, just for me he never fitted in what so ever. He'd be much more suited around people like Rooney, Neville, Scholes and so on. With that said too, I cant see Nistelrooy just being frozen out. While people may think he's not much any more, he's one of those guys that can just hit top form from out of nowhere. Sure all of his goals may not be super stunning from thirty yards out, but that hardly matters. When it comes to scoring the guy can be brilliant if he's pushing himself to bne, hopefully if Owen comes in he'll realise he's really got to push himself for a place up front.

Oh yeah and what's this stupid stuff I've heard about Gary Neville leaving United? Not any major source but my uncle told me how he could be off to Middlesboro, or is that just lies? If not, why? Even if the guy is getting on, he's top class. I think that every season at United he's been a key player for them and rarely let's them down, even if he does have a bad moment here or there.

Oh and for anyone who cares, while it happened a few days back or whatever, Gilardino scored on his debut for Milan and Vieri also managed to find a goal. While I have confidence galore in Zlatan, Mutu, Trez and Del for next season, I must say that seeing Gilardino, Shev, Vieri up there is going to absolutly terrify some defences (Mainly Shev/Gilardino).

Oh yeah and what's this stupid stuff I've heard about Gary Neville leaving United

Sure you arent thinking of Phil Neville? He is frozen out at Old Trafford and it looks like he is on his way out. And besides, Gary Neville is GOD.

Oh yeah and what's this stupid stuff I've heard about Gary Neville leaving United? Not any major source but my uncle told me how he could be off to Middlesboro, or is that just lies? If not, why? Even if the guy is getting on, he's top class. I think that every season at United he's been a key player for them and rarely let's them down, even if he does have a bad moment here or there.

It's Phil Neville you're talking about not Gary. Phil's been linked with moves to Newcastle and Middlesbrough with both clubs apparently tabling bids of around £3 Million. With Smith tried and tested as a midfielder, Phil Neville's been pushed even further from a first-team run. In truth, he's only really been useful as a utility player for the last year or so and even then some of his performances are unconvincing. The manager's said he doesn't want the player to leave and Phil himself has stated he wants to stay to fight for a first-team spot. He may be surplus to requirements, but at least he's still got loyalty.

As far as Owen's concerned, we could sure as hell do with him. With Smith converted into a midfielder, we're down to three strikers once again. Sure Rossi, Bellion and even Solksjaer are to be considered but neither are in a position where they can really challenge the first-team. My only doubts are as to where he'd fit in. Surely he wouldn't switch clubs to sit on the bench for another season and dropping either Van Nistelrooy or Rooney on a permanent basis would be out of the question given the circumstances. If Owen is to join, it'll look to be another season of Rooney on the wing and it'll be a partnership of Owen/Van Nistelrooy up-front rather than what some other people are suggesting.

Not only is Keane a shadow of the player he was, he's had a bust up with Ferguson and is aparently off at the end of the season according to numerous reports. This means that Ferguson will want to mould a replacement, giving them some much needed minutes this season.

Keane will not play too many games this season. Whether the reported 'bust-up' with the manager is true or not (to what extent, I have my doubts), he's no longer fit enough to play as frequently. Don't get me wrong, he's still an incredible asset to the club in the right kind of games but in terms of ability there's no doubt he's past it.

Smith in the midfield is an experiment that has gone right for change. We were right to try the Kleberson's, Djemba-Djemba's and Liam Miller's of this world while we had the chance. Now, the time to find a replacement is getting all the more closer with Keane stating himself that this will be his last year. Smith has all the qualities to make it in the position but I guess this season will be a real test for both he and Fletcher who'll be taking on some of Keane's duties.