Official Smackdown vs. Raw Thread

JoeMimic

Pics Here

Courtesy Of IGN

Rumored Online Play In This Version. I'm hoping for a career mode thats longer then one year and has wrestlers retire get injured sign with fake rival companys and things of that nature. Maybe have some new "created" wrestlers come in as you progress. It'd be great to start down in OVW too, have all the developmental wrestlers in. If you picked an established guy though such as a John Cena you'd start in WWE. Comments on the screens?

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playstation. Which means it'll probably have the most features and adaptability.

I think its looking pretty good so far. If it does turn out to be an online game, it will be by far the best wrestling game to be created to date(and yes, that means better than No Mercy :P ).

I take it the release date is set for November like usual?

Also as I am lazy to bother looking does anyone know any of the following:

Is there going to be commentry this time around? If so, will it be both announce teams or what?

What new match's and features are actually rumoured to make it into the game?

Any legends this time around or not?(If so I am so hoping that people like Hall, Owen and Bret etc make it into the game)

I'm hoping for a career mode thats longer then one year and has wrestlers retire get injured sign with fake rival companys and things of that nature.

won´t happen, all of that

Maybe have some new "created" wrestlers come in as you progress.

won´t happen

It'd be great to start down in OVW too, have all the developmental wrestlers in.

won´t happen

Comments on the screens?

they look wores than HCTP

The screens are pretty ugly compared to other stuff I've seen (namely KOC 2 and Network Pro Wrestling, both for PS2). I hate that this happens every time a new Smackdown game comes out, where everyone gets pumped up about it having new features and wrestlers and all that crap, and none of it comes to fruition. I'd rather play VPW2 on N64, truthfully.

WWE Smackdown vs. RAW: First Details

Behold wrestling fans: the first screenshots and info from the year's biggest grappling game

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/522/522962p1.html

June 11, 2004 - As passionate as the teams at THQ and Yuke's are about their WWE Smackdown franchise, getting them to talk about the next iteration of the series hasn't exactly been easy. Originally announced last month exclusively through IGN prior to the Electronic Entertainment Expo, the sixth installment known as Smackdown! vs. RAW has been quickly transformed into one of the most talked about forthcoming PS2 titles this year. And with speculation and rumors about the game already running rampant, we felt it our duty to get to the bottom of it all so that we could set the record straight.

Sadly that's easier said than done. As our buddies at THQ are keeping tight-lipped regarding the implementation of this year's roster and feature set. "Honestly, we're just not ready to reveal too much about the game yet," said the THQ representatives we spoke with. "In fact, you guys [iGN] will probably be doing most of the roster revelations yourselves when you kick off your Smackdown Countdown later this year. We like secrets. Secrets are good."

Apparently the roster isn't the only thing remaining covert, though; as THQ has an absolutely massive undisclosed gameplay option that will be announced sometime over the next couple of weeks. And while we can't get official confirmation as to just what that secret may end up being just yet, the word on the street is that it's that it's the one extra that everyone has been waiting for since the advent of PS2 Network Adapter: Online connectivity. And from what we understand, that's not so far off from the truth.

Speculation aside, we were at least able to confirm several of Smackdown vs. RAW's specifics in relation to what's been left over from last year's effort Here Comes the Pain. Six-person simultaneous play, for instance, has once again been brought back so that players can make the most of a pair of Multi-tap peripherals. And every single one of 2003's game modes have returned to action too; with match types like Hell in the Cell, Slobber Knocker, Table Matches, and First Blood back and bigger than ever. Much to our chagrin, THQ would not confirm any of its new modes or gameplay features in time for us to meet our deadline; though the company representatives did assure us that Smackdown vs. RAW would boast several of them before all is said and done.

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-20040611055611177-000.jpg

Click on Orton and Cena for more images

Link

Visually the game has been given a boost too. Character models and attire in particular have a lot more detail than they did before, with a continued emphasis on facial recreation and animation. "You're going to freak out when you see this new one in motion," whispered a THQ employee that wished to remain anonymous. "It's easily the best looking game in the series."

Old-school fans should also be pleased to know that legends have been reinstated for the roster as well, with a stronger focus on big name stars and classic personalities. And while there will definitely be a few historical grapplers from last year's version to make the rounds all over again, THQ has also included some new representatives to bolster the ranks. We're told that the updated roster will be comprised of some of the biggest classic names in the industry too; but because of ongoing contractual negotiations, can't be named.

But that doesn't mean that we didn't get the names of some of the planned Smackdown vs. RAW active superstars. As we finally managed to get the THQ guys to spill the beans regarding the lineup. "It will definitely have all the champions in there, how could it not?" remarked aTHQ rep. "Of course, we'll have several surprises and divas on the list too, but for now, you can bet that the champions and their top contenders will be in there." Specifically, players can expect to see Randy Orton, John Cena, Triple H, Chris Benoit, Shawn Michaels, and Eddie Guerrero. Unforunately we couldn't confirm whether or not Tag Team champ Edge or the oft-wanted La Resistance would be in there.

But secrecy seems to be Smackdown vs. RAWs theme this year. As THQ have plans to reveal details more meticulously than in the years before it. The company did confirm one final tidbit about the game, though, which is its release date: November 2004. And with almost half a year left, the time should give anxious WWE gamers plenty of time to digest exactly what lies before them.

The good news is that your buddies at IGN will be with you every step of the way. As we plan on continuing our popular Smackdown Countdown features from seasons previous with the most information, media, and news regarding the game than anywhere else in the world. In fact, on our media page below we've included the first handful of screenshots taken from an early build. And you can expect us to return again next week (and rather soon at that) with the first official trailer that you won't be able to find anywhere else. So saddle up WWE fans -- today's tidbits was only the beginning. We'll be back again with more next week.

-- Jeremy Dunham

Credit: IGN.com - http://ps2.ign.com/articles/522/522962p1.html. Link at bottom of page.

Guest Rubber Band Man

Holy crap... Orton looks freakin' ugly in this game...

- The Dork Knight

Are you hinting towards something with that statement? :shifty:

The game looks good. Nice to see them putting in more effort to make the game more realistic.

Edited by Rubber Band Man

Personally, I'm not overly impressed with those screens. Just seems a little bland to be, and also kinda "square" looking. Not saying it can't get better, juts not making me say WOW at the moment.

And as far as online play goes, I'm NOT one of those who think that online play AUTOMATICALLY equals a better game.

Add those up, and I'm still going to get DoR over this.

the clothes and the character models look more detailed than the last SD! game. I mean, look at that Cena compared to HCTP's Cena. BIG change.

I'll buy it, of course. I'm also getting a chip for my PS2 so I can play imported games *coughkoc2cough*

won´t happen, all of that

won´t happen

won´t happen

they look wores than HCTP

:D Michael Matzat, #1 fan of the Smackdown series.

I don't have an online PS2, so if the major selling point for Smackdown vs. Raw is the online feature, I won't be buying it.

Old-school fans should also be pleased to know that legends have been reinstated for the roster as well, with a stronger focus on big name stars and classic personalities. And while there will definitely be a few historical grapplers from last year's version to make the rounds all over again, THQ has also included some new representatives to bolster the ranks. We're told that the updated roster will be comprised of some of the biggest classic names in the industry too; but because of ongoing contractual negotiations, can't be named.

How about worrying about getting all of the current WWE roster in first before worrying about legends. If I wanted legends I'd play Legends of Wrestling not a WWE game. When playing a WWE game I want WWE superstars not washed up old has beens.

When given the choice between a legend character like Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant or Mick Foley and a current WWE wrestler like Ivory, Gail Kim or Funaki; I know which I would rather have as an option in the game.